PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 & Drivers

BlkMax
October 28th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I just installed Windows 7 on my laptop ( I was coming from Vista). For some reason, I could not do an "upgrade" installation where Windows 7 just reloaded the OS, looked at the registry, then everything worked. I had to do a hard drive wipe and new installation of the OS, and then reinstall of all my software. It did it automatically and away I went. Don't forget that if you have to do it with the wipe and full install, you need to reload ALL your drivers.

As I was adding the software back on to the laptop, I downloaded and installed the latest version of EFILive. The drivers did not automatically install on the new platform. I had to reload them from the CD using the driver installation application. I went to Start>Control Panel>View Devices and Printers then clicked on the "Unspecified Devices" icon, it said "EFILive Flashscan V2". I selected the Hardware Tab, then clicked on Properties. On the General tab, I think I clicked on "Change Settings" and got the driver selection method screen and clicked on "Browse my computer for driver software", directed the screen to the Drivers/FlashScan/Win-2K-XP-Vista directory and clicked on Next. At that point the drivers loaded and everything seems to work. I have not had a chance to hook the laptop to my truck and verify, but the V2 gives me the standard 4 lines with the F keys, and I can open both the Tune and Scan tools without the error message that states the drivers are not loaded.

It was not too big a deal, but I wanted folks to know that the drivers did not install just by plugging in the USB cable to the laptop.

FWIW, the hassle of the new OS is worth it. I like the new OS much better than Vista.:rockon::rockon:

Mr. P.
October 29th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Win7 f'n rocks, I've been using it with EFILive since late September. I also had to point the OS to the folder with the V2 USB drivers, but after that the drivers work great both on my desktop and laptop.

Mr. P. :)

ScarabEpic22
October 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
W7 Ultimate x64 RC here, used the public beta for a few months til the RC went live, Ill use the RC til Jan/Feb and I can get W7 from a buddy at Microsoft.

Yes you might have to do this driver dance to get it to work, this has been mentioned before with W7. Maybe in future releases it will be solved, its more of an annoyance than an issue IMO.

BlkMax
October 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Yes you might have to do this driver dance to get it to work, this has been mentioned before with W7. Maybe in future releases it will be solved, its more of an annoyance than an issue IMO.

I agree, but when I tried searching this issue nothing came up on the board. That is why I posted.

ScarabEpic22
October 29th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Ah, I saw the thread right after I posted in here a little bit ago, the thread isnt publicly available.

pkincy
November 8th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Where can the drivers be found? I, too, just did a clean install of Win 7 and need to download them.

There is a drivers file on the main site but it is listed as 2.02.04 not 7.5.4 or 5.

Answer:: Apparently 2.02.04 is the currentdriver file. It seems to have loaded and works. Also I complete agree about Win 7. I have been using it as a beta model for 6 months in a dual boot system on my T61. I now am using it in a single HDD in the T61 and have had no issues on drivers or peripheral equipment incompatibilities. Fast or faster than XP Pro and very cool like an update to Vista should be.

Perry

pkincy
November 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Whoops, hit a deal breaker.

Ver 8.1.2 can not be installed on Windows 7 x64.

Error message on setup says: "EFILive cannont be run on WinNTx"

I presume that means incompatibility with 64 bit ver of Win 7.

And without ver 8.1 my V2 is caught in the never never land between a 2.04 FW and a 2.05 BB. It takes software included in ver 8.1 to fix that.

(this I fixed by downloading 8.1 on my wife's XP box and using EFILive Explorer in that software. So V2 is working again and fully firmware upgraded).

Perry

Tordne
November 8th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Right click on the install file and chose 'Properties', then change to the 'Compatability' tab and set compatability mode to Vista SP2. Then the install will work.

Alternatively download the version 8 pre-release where the installer natively supports Windows 7. Here is a link to the thread: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12014

pkincy
November 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Thank you.

I figured it out. Not as well as you did, but did go to compatibility and installed it in XP sp 3 mode.

Seems to be working but the data may be in the wrong place. My mind is too tired to check right now. <g>

Perry

Tre-Cool
November 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Im just finishing off a reload of XP-SP3 from windows 7. efilive kept loosing dash layouts and configs under 7 and was giving me the shits.

At least i know XP works perfectly and with a Solid state hard drive in it now, windows is booted in 10 seconds.

Tordne
November 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hmm.. I have been running Windows 7 for months and have had no issues whatsoever.

When the SSDs get above 250GB I'm going to get one for my laptop as well. They are insane performance wise!

pkincy
November 11th, 2009, 02:21 PM
All it takes is money:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/09/first-512gb-ssd-offered-for-sale-1500

Hopefully they will $500 in a year.

Perry

Tordne
November 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah, at $1500 I can afford to wait an extra 30 seconds to boot :)

Tre-Cool
November 12th, 2009, 02:44 AM
i put a 64gb in my laptop (downgraded from 320) and it only cost $175.

In all honesty i dont require a huge amount of space on the laptop as i have my home theatre and desktop computers to have all my music, movies etc on.

Windows in general seems to be much much faster after the move to a ssd, im a happy little veggiemite. haha

Tordne
November 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Sadly I actually "need" at least 200GB so I can take my office with me on the laptop.

Sixes350
November 22nd, 2009, 12:51 AM
So what do I have to do to make my V1 work on Win7 x64? (USB drivers)

Cheers

Tordne
November 22nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Just point the driver install at the normal 'C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\EFILive\Win-2K-XP-Vista' folder when choosing the advanced installation options.

Sixes350
November 22nd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Thank you, must have been doing something slightly off track. Now just waiting for my email from who I bought the V1 from and I can redo my Ute :)