PDA

View Full Version : im lost!!! 4l60e help

kistlerjm9
October 30th, 2009, 12:56 PM
i just put in a tci 3000 stall, torque 2 cam, with full bolts ons! go to take it for a spin and the thing shifts sluggish, revs to like 6000 grand and am barely moving, acts like a manual with a bad clutch! fluid level is right on and not burnt! when it does this the tranny temps increase weird because i have a tranny cooler! the coolant temp increases too when it feels like its slipping than goes right back down when i let off of it idk where to start? ive been reading up on tuning the 4l60e but cant find a good step by step any help will be paid with appreciation and beer lol!

joecar
October 30th, 2009, 01:24 PM
When you rev to 6000 the car barely moves...?

Did you install the stall converter correctly (3 engagements: input shaft spline, stator support spline, pump drive notches)...?

When you inserted the TC into the front of the trans, the TC bolt pads should have been about 1.125" deeper than the bell housing engine surface... did you check this...?

Increasing trans fluid temperature indicates one or both of these:
- stall converter is slipping more than it should (generates heat);
- clutches/band are slipping (generates heat);

You might want to attach a pressure gauge to the line pressure tap and see what is says.

Is your external trans cooler inline with the trans cooler internal to the radiator...?

You have one or more physical problems... without any tuning the stall converter should still work fine.

When you put the cam in, did you get a tune...?

Post your tune file.

kistlerjm9
October 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
the trans cooler is not inline with the radiator it is seperate the T/C is installed correctly had to pull it forward about an inch to start the bolts and it dropped three times! ive put in plenty of convertors being a tech but ill take the bolts out and check again! its not kicking any slipping codes! the tune is a solid base line tune its not perfect due to not being able to drive it but afr's are in the green and the ve table is pretty close so far! i can tune a six speed like its going out of style but this auto shit is pissing me off! sorry to bother you joe youve helped me out over the years more than anyone seriously i need to send you some brew!!!!!!

joecar
October 30th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Try setting these back to stock:

{B1201} Abuse Management (in Gear) Upper RPM Threshold, changed from "2000" to "7000".
{B1202} Abuse Management (in Gear) Lower RPM Threshold, changed from "1500" to "7000".
{B1203} Abuse Management (in P/N) Upper RPM Threshold, changed from "2000" to "7000".
{B1204} Abuse Management (in P/N) Lower RPM Threshold, changed from "1500" to "7000".
{B1205} Abuse Management TPS Upper Threshold, changed from "5" to "100".
{B1206} Abuse Management TPS Lower Threshold, changed from "3" to "99".
{B1207} Abuse Management Vehicle Speed Threshold, changed from "410" to "0".
{B1209} Abuse Management Time, modified.

Abuse management is for protecting the drivetrain when you drop the trans into gear while the engine is spinning too quick.

kistlerjm9
October 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM
is ok that i dont have the trans cooler hooked up to the radiator?

LS1_Dragster
October 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Sounds like your converter was made for an engine with a mid plate or the flywheel is on backwards, this is why your converter isnt engaging the pump correctly.

There should only be 2/16-3/16 gap between the flywheel mounts and the converter mounts, no way 1"!!!!

Lee

kistlerjm9
October 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
alright about half an inch and its not the convertor line pressure is at 200-205! so the pump is engaged, and the t/c came out of my buddies ls1 he went with a vig this thing is brand new! i dont like tci but it was free and its for another buddy so.... i changed the setting back and is still doing the same thing! still wondering if i have the cooler messed up?

LS1_Dragster
October 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
the way you explained it, it sounded like you didnt have correct pump engagement and wasnt getting the line pressure needed....

Lee

joecar
October 31st, 2009, 05:37 AM
is ok that i dont have the trans cooler hooked up to the radiator?This is ok.

joecar
October 31st, 2009, 05:40 AM
If you remove the cooler return line (at/near the cooler) you should get fluid pumping out at the rate 2 quarts in 20-30 seconds with engine running at idle...

if you get that then the cooler is fine...

if not, then either line pressure is low (you said it's not), or the cooler and/or cooler lines have a restriction...

joecar
October 31st, 2009, 05:53 AM
Are you getting 200+ psi at idle in P/N...?
If yes, then the PCM may have the trans in limp mode.

Does it vary when you put it in gear and brake torque it...?
If no, then limp mode.

Take a log, include these pids:
TFMPRS
TSTATE07
TSTATE08
GEAR

Are you sure the transmission harness connector is on properly and is not damaged, no bent pins...?

Are you sure no wires got pinched any where...?

kistlerjm9
November 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
yeah it was a kink on the return that was messing me all up!!!!! Now to a new question if I shift the car manually it works great if i let it shift itself it feels like the TCC is engaging havent made a WOT run and dont plan to until I figure this out. Does it in 1st and second will rev up than it feels like the TCC engages and falls on it face WTF? But if I shift it its smooth as glass nice firm shifts!!!!!!! This POS is getting kicked over a cliff attached is the tune yet again! Joe send me ur address and expect some nice US domestics

joecar
November 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Try setting D2801 to disable...

Also, try raising the low portion of D1001,2,3.

kistlerjm9
November 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
im assuming you meant 2801 TCC upshift diisable and yeah after running a few logs i lowered the the apply and release points of the TCC.... read a lot in the past few days to damn much but that spreadsheet helped a lot as have you!!!! thanks man i just want this car gone do you recommend messing with the pressures at all or just leaving them alone or anything else i should tweak?

joecar
November 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Yes, sorry, I typed dislexically...

joecar
November 7th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Raise the low throttle part of D1002, D1003 so that the car has to be going faster before the TCC applies...

i.e. keep the TCC from applying in 3rd gear at lower speeds, and keep it from applying in 4th gear at those same speeds.

(and set D1001 to 256 to keep the TCC off in 2nd).

kistlerjm9
November 14th, 2009, 06:16 PM
will you take a look at the tranny portion of this tune and tell me if you see any thing wrong! this auto i swear to God is gonna kill me! POS TCI stall or it might be the moron behind the keyboard!!

LS1_Dragster
November 15th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I have my Yukon feeling pretty good, I have a Vigilante 3000 Stall. I think your TCC settings look way different then mine. Here's my tune, maybe you can use some of the tables as reference. Also the download shifts times dont look right....

Lee