PDA

View Full Version : 03 4.8L tuning?

THEFERMANATOR
October 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I've been playing around with diesel tuning with the V3 and am beginning to understand it pretty well. My neighbor has an 03 1500 pickup with the 4.8L in it and was wanting to know what could be done to it to help the milage out some. I read his tune and see that diesel tuning is alot easier than gas tuning after looking at his. WHere are some good sites to go to understand the gasser tuning logic? Any tutorials I could read that may help as well? Like I said he's happy with the power but would like to get a little btter milage out of it. I see his has lean cruise in it, but is disabled from the factory. I'm just looking for some pointers to help me understand what changes can be made safely. This laptop tuning is a whole nother world from what I'm used to.

joecar
October 30th, 2009, 01:24 PM
You got a V3 already...?

:hihi:
j/k

THEFERMANATOR
October 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
You got a V3 already...?

j/k

V2, I've got fat fingers:anitoof:.

THEFERMANATOR
November 2nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Anybody? I'm just looking for some places where I can find info specific to this style engine and how it reacts to what.

Boost
November 9th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Investing many hours searching and studying this forum is the best advice I can give you. There are many here willing and able to answer specific questions once you get into it. There isn't very much you can do to dramatically improve mileage. Some think that speeding up the desired shift times can give a marginal (less than 1% improvement). A more complete and efficient burn is what you are after. Yes diesel is more simple, only a half dozen parameters need to be messed with as opposed to dozens on the gassers. Here is a section that may be a good start. I am in the same boat...

http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

As far as the 4.8 it is mostly the same exact thing as a 5.3/6.0/other LSx truck motors, block and computer wise. So just get familiar with Gen III type tuning strategies.

mr.prick
November 9th, 2009, 10:09 AM
You got a V3 already...?

j/k
The V2 is obsolete before it's perfected. :doh2: