PDA

View Full Version : roadrunner not found

5.7ute
October 30th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I am starting to get really frustrated with my RR at the moment. While in Adelaide I finally got a decent enough connection to do the latest upgrade. After getting another bad secret token error I decided to download the newest build & do a full clean reinstall. What a stupid idea that was.
Now for the life of me I cant get the roadrunner working again. I know the unit & connections are fine as we used Brads (VYSSLS1) laptop & my RR to get the car tuned on his dyno. But no matter what I do I keep getting a device not found error.
I have changed drivers multiple times, completely uninstalled efilive & done a new clean install. Gone through the FT clean & reinstalled drivers at least a dozen times & still no joy.
Worst thing is I cant get the tune off the RR to put my standard PCM in to make a few small changes.
Licensing info has been triple checked, tutorials followed to the letter. Latest drivers tried as well as the old. Any suggestions?
Build 7.5.6 99 on windows XP

neil
October 31st, 2009, 12:31 AM
Hey Mick,
I'm wondering whether it's worth deleting all references to EFILive from the registry and reinstall.
The registry could have become corrupted.

Neil.

mr.prick
October 31st, 2009, 03:16 AM
Bad Secret Token (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=84418&postcount=12)

Are you using USB or BT?
Check the RR tab in the tune.exe properties,
I have mine set to Virtual COM port.

5.7ute
October 31st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the replies neil & mr.prick.
I have tried both native usb & virtual com port with no luck. I will try what you suggested neil & see what happens.

limited cv8r
October 31st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I have had trouble with some USB cables, if you use one to extend the RR's. Some work good, some are just crap.

mr.prick
October 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Are you sharing a port between the RR and another device?
I tried to use a USB hub and the RR would not tolerate that.

Check the USB serial port settings in the device manager
to see if the latency timer is 1.

hquick
October 31st, 2009, 11:00 PM
I regularly use a 5m extension cable to sit my laptop on the backseat.
Mick...are you still using the original RR USB cable and socket setup?
If you are...mate...do yourself a BIG favour and get rid of it.
Do what I did and run a cable directly to the USB-B socket on the RR PCB.
I have NEVER had any issues since doing this.....prior....I was ready to take an OXY to the PCM just for the pure satisfaction!
OR...give me your postal address and I'll send you a ferrite core I found a few of at work the other day and you can try wrapping it around the USB cable.

5.7ute
November 1st, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have had trouble with some USB cables, if you use one to extend the RR's. Some work good, some are just crap.

There was no extension cable used.
I am still sure it is in the drivers but cannot work out what is wrong. When in device manager plugging in the roadunner will show it as a usb serial convertor in the USB devices so the laptop is seeing it. I have tried every driver that I can find & still no luck.
I know the cables are fine as we could talk to the RR with VYSSLS1's laptop. Might be time to make a backup copy of all my files & reinstall everything.:doh2:

neil
November 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Mick. How about uninstalling all the USB devices under the Universal Bus Controllers tab in Device Manager.
Make sure Road Runner is connected and see whether Windows detects it when the drivers are reinstalled..
You might need to use a different keyboard and mouse when you reboot the machine.

Neil.

5.7ute
November 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM
Mick. How about uninstalling all the USB devices under the Universal Bus Controllers tab in Device Manager.
Make sure Road Runner is connected and see whether Windows detects it when the drivers are reinstalled..
You might need to use a different keyboard and mouse when you reboot the machine.

Neil.

Tordne has kindly offered to have a look remotely when time permits. Hopefully it is something easily fixed as I have a few tunes I was meant to do last weekend, as well as a knock issue in my car to sort out.
It has started getting hot very quickly up here. 40degC and summer is still a month or so away.:shock:

mr.prick
November 1st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Did you use the usbview.exe in C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Drivers\Utilities?

5.7ute
November 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM
Did you use the usbview.exe in C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Drivers\Utilities?

No I didnt. At the moment I am doing a full clean install of the OS & the latest update plus getting the crap off the computer. There is a lot of stuff running in the background & slowing it up I want off.

Tordne
November 1st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Now that's commitment :)

5.7ute
November 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM
More like I should be committed. I will know in another ten if it worked or not.

Tordne
November 1st, 2009, 08:46 PM
Well, I hope it works. If not hopefully I can help you out with it.

TFZ_Z06
November 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM
FEW IDEAS:

1. Make sure if your using VIRTUAL COM PORT:

a. under EFI's edit->properties->rr you have selected the ending com port that includes the first available com port of your pc. IE, just set it to 255 to make sure you cover the range EFI searches. For example, if your com port in windows is 20 and your last searchable port is 12, it will never see the device.

b. make sure and go under win-xp hardware device manager and "check" the VCP button (in the advanced box) for the com port being used by the RR. If when you plug in the RR device you get the enumeration sound, its showing up in windows, but may not be set to VCP.

2. If NATIVE, then EFI uses the DLL directly and should be a matter of the EFI software finding the DLL and a port enumerating via USB plug in. For whatever reason, EFI failed when I tried this option, so I never used it.
Windows is faster in virtual mode than native via this DLL anyway.

3. What the other guy said about a direct cable to the RR using the mini-usb on board of the RR. I had connection problems until I did this.
Not a problem since.

Tordne
November 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Getting it to work as Native USB is the preferred option. This requires pointing the driver loading to the same driver as FlashScan (and not the RoadRunner driver surprisingly).

I've actually just connect mine again to make sure it was all still working. Man I miss using that thing. Being able to read and flash in 10 seconds rocks!

5.7ute
November 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Damn it. Still not working.:bad:

Tordne
November 1st, 2009, 08:57 PM
Doh! At least you have a fresh system. You still wanna see if I can get it working?

5.7ute
November 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM
Andrew, when you connect to the RR what driver is it using?

Tordne
November 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM
The one in the 'C:\Program Files\EFILive\Drivers\EFILive\Win-2K-XP-Vista' folder.

5.7ute
November 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
I have to redo my internet settings on the laptop. Hopefully wont take long.

5.7ute
November 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM
I am not having any luck with the net either. I will send you a pm to set up a time to have a look.
Thanks again Mick

TFZ_Z06
November 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Getting it to work as Native USB is the preferred option. This requires pointing the driver loading to the same driver as FlashScan (and not the RoadRunner driver surprisingly).

I've actually just connect mine again to make sure it was all still working. Man I miss using that thing. Being able to read and flash in 10 seconds rocks!

Which driver is EFI using for FlashScan?

Tordne
November 1st, 2009, 09:55 PM
Both the FlashScan and RoadRunner devices use FTDI drivers. The reason (in my view) that the RoadRunner is sometimes difficult to get working is that it presents as a generic FTDI chip and drvers are often automatically loaded by Windows Update. FlashScan on the other hand has altered vendor and device strings and will therefore need to drivers to be loaded manually.

TFZ_Z06
November 1st, 2009, 10:06 PM
Both the FlashScan and RoadRunner devices use FTDI drivers. The reason (in my view) that the RoadRunner is sometimes difficult to get working is that it presents as a generic FTDI chip and drvers are often automatically loaded by Windows Update. FlashScan on the other hand has altered vendor and device strings and will therefore need to drivers to be loaded manually.

Interesting. RR presents as a generic FTDI Chip, FT232R I believe, but with no name change, VID representing FTDI. I have mentioned to Craig M in the past, should consider renaming his devices, so they can directly open it via "string" and FTD2XX.DLL, native mode obviously.

I wonder if he plugged one device in before the other if that might help. Not sure how EFI is port checking, first FTDI device found first checked or what, but with no device id nor name, got work a little harder.

Gotta go get ready for vacation. Good luck to the op.

Tordne
November 1st, 2009, 10:09 PM
I would probably be inclined to connect the FlashScan first and load the drivers by browsing to the folder path above. Then connect RoadRunner (either with FlashScan connected or not - shouldn't matter). It might be that the RoadRunner still goes and gets a different driver. If so you have to do the "Update Driver" trick.

Hopefully I can get it sorted for him if we can get remote access organised :)

5.7ute
November 1st, 2009, 10:10 PM
Well dont I feel like an idiot. After having a decent look I noticed that the preferred com port was already assigned. Change that to a different port & all is well.
Thanks again Tordne for the offer of assistance & you other guys for posting as well. It always seems to be the small errors that give the largest headaches.
On the bright side my laptop is much quicker than its ever been. Now to do the same to the ute.

Tordne
November 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
So your next challenge is to get it working in Native USB Mode LOL.

5.7ute
November 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM
So your next challenge is to get it working in Native USB Mode LOL.

HA HA HA HA. NO!
I will try that next time I have a week to spare LOL.

Cablebandit
November 4th, 2009, 03:18 PM
using a usb cable straight to the little daughter board in the pcm got rid of ALL connection problems for me...ALL of em

mr.prick
November 5th, 2009, 03:14 AM
On the screw in connector, make sure the pins are not pulled back.
If they are unseated you will have problems.
That weather proof connector can be unscrewed and you can push the pins in.

hquick
November 9th, 2009, 12:48 AM
using a usb cable straight to the little daughter board in the pcm got rid of ALL connection problems for me...ALL of em

Yep! Me too.
I can't understand why you guys seem to be against doing this?

limited cv8r
November 9th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I think the only reason a lot of people don't do this is they do not want to pull their RR apart , or they are not experiencing these problems. I know if I didn't have to touch any of mine I wouldn't.:grin: