PDA

View Full Version : will my stock ls1 o2 sensors survive pre-turbo?

ryans1000
November 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Will my stock ls1 o2 sensors survive pre-turbo? I think one of them is acting up already and I've only been running turbo for a couple weeks. However it is an old sensor. I was originally told for accuracy install the o2 two sensors close to the head pre-turbo like the stock locations. Another guy told me that the heat and pressure of a turbo setup will kill the sensors quickly. I have a wideband post turbo. I may just run open loop all the time but not sure if I'll want the narrowbands also.

http://importevolution.com/temp/rx7_turbo_piping_1024.jpg

Lextech
November 3rd, 2009, 11:50 PM
I have been told that they will not survive Pre-Cat. However I have seen many factory turbo cars with the O2 sensor in the manifold---Pre-Cat. I have mine post cat.

Jeff

ryans1000
November 4th, 2009, 04:42 AM
No cat here.

joecar
November 4th, 2009, 04:46 AM
He said cat but he meant turbo.

64camino
November 4th, 2009, 05:46 AM
both mine have been pre-turbo for about a year. one is in the turbo manifold itself.

ryans1000
November 4th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I wonder if they make different model narrowbands that will work for the ls1 but have higher temperature tolerance. So do narrowbands work the same when they are post turbo, I know my turbo talon had a factory narrowband right after the turbo. But I wonder if the factory computer closed loop operation is different when the o2 sensors are no longer in the same environment (temperature, distance, pressure) ???

Lextech
November 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM
BRAIN FART,
I did mean post TURBO.

Chuck L.
November 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Turbo Buicks have the NB just under the turbo entry. Some run for yrs that way. Boost from OEM chip setting is about 14# max. Many hi boost, [20+#], applications do not kill the sensor, unless race gas is introduced.

ryans1000
November 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
interesting, thank

Afterhours Performance
November 16th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I thought o2 sensors would get increasingly inaccurate under positive pressure. I never could keep one together on my old 305 turbo conversion, the end of the sensor would just be burnt off lol {stub}

Chuck L.
November 17th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I thought o2 sensors would get increasingly inaccurate under positive pressure. I never could keep one together on my old 305 turbo conversion, the end of the sensor would just be burnt off lol {stub}

publishes charts showing the effects of pressure vs lambda readings.
As for your problem, I'd bet that the egts were "outta sight". :hihi:
Restrictive exh systems also contribute to failures by creating excessively hi back pressure to boost ratios. More than 2:1, and you can create problems.
2 frequently found problems w/ O2 sensor failures in the turbo Buick are:
1. Blown headgaskets pushing antifreeze out the pipe, contaminating the sensor.
2. Race gas in hi % mix.

Here's a neat sensor test I ran across on U tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mb4VmDd0ao
Some other reading material...
http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Injection.html

dfe1
November 17th, 2009, 11:55 AM
What happens if boost is changed during a run-- as with an adjustable boost controller in the cockpit?

Chuck L.
November 18th, 2009, 01:34 AM
What happens if boost is changed during a run-- as with an adjustable boost controller in the cockpit?

result in an engine failure, due to the drivers lack of experience in driving a really fast street car!:Nothing_funny_to_ad

dfe1
November 18th, 2009, 02:40 AM
result in an engine failure, due to the drivers lack of experience in driving a really fast street car!:Nothing_funny_to_ad
But it prevents excess amounts of soot from being deposited on the racing surface.