PDA

View Full Version : New to Diesels

Buckeye0812
November 15th, 2009, 06:15 AM
i am new to diesels and I would like some very basic information about EFI Live. I dont know much about tuning, or putting chips into diesels but I know a lot of people that have them in their trucks. Could someone explain EFI Live to me because I am pretty sure this is the route I want to go. What do you need? The Chip and the Tuner? also how do you put different tunes in, and what is some other basic information about EFI?

I know this sounds like a noob question...but you have to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

BTW I have an 06 Duramax...which is why I posted in this section.

Randy5.0
November 15th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Do you have a laptop? It isn't a chip that you just plug in or a tuner that you just select a tune and download from. Its software that can be custom tuned specific to your combination. You can buy EFI from a dealer and get a tune or tunes with it. I for example bought mine from Adrenaline Truck Performance and I purchased a tow, hot street, and race/dyno tune.

joecar
November 15th, 2009, 07:59 AM
The chip is flash memory inside the ECM or TCM... you don't remove/replace it, you simply rewrite it in place.

The EFILive Scan and Tune software/hardware lets you read in your calibration from the the ECM/TCM, edit the various tables, and write ("flash") the calibration back into ECM/TCM...

It also lets you log data so you can see how the engine/trans are running, you use the logged data to influence further edits...

As Randy said, you can buy files already edited and flash these in yourself.

Welcome to the forum...:cheers:

Buckeye0812
November 15th, 2009, 09:18 AM
ok...so the tuner just over rides the existing "codes" so you can put different tunes in such as smoke, lope, ect? And you can make tunes on the computer and plug that into the tuner which gets plugged into the truck?

Im starting to get it lol. In your opinions is EFI the best?

Randy5.0
November 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Yes, EFI is the best tuning tool.

LBZoom
November 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I agree that EFI live is the best option, however it's not for the faint of heart. Be prepared for a lot of trial and error! It took me almost a year to develop a tune that is basically perfect for what I was trying to achieve, but the great thing is that there are a lot of great guys on this forum and the developers themselves who are willing to help out :cheers:

Buckeye0812
November 17th, 2009, 06:42 AM
ok that is good to hear...I know I am going to have questions since I am just starting to learn about this stuff. Thanks for the help

LBZoom
November 17th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Sure thing man, if you need any help on a one-on-one basis besides just posting, feel free to send me a private message and i'll give you my email. If you ever want someone to look over tunes and not be too hard on ya haha.

getsome
March 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
i know i am a little late but before you buy efi live do lots of research on what you really want dont just buy it to say you have it if you dont know what your doing things can go sour really quick if you want efi live because you want to build power and know how to than go ahead buy it send me a pm and i can send you in the right way on what you need also if you just want your duramax to go faster and are not going to put much money in it than a edge would be fine just be sure on what you want first