PDA

View Full Version : Limp mode, shut down?

JoakimMD
November 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I´m trying to find info where the ECU shuts down or goes into limp mode regarding engine temp and oil pressure etc. Does anyone have info about this? LBZ and LMM info needed.

Can you disable this in the ECU? Maybe disable DTCs? Can you with DSP5 change what DTCs to be active or not?

I know you think- Why would anyone want to do this? This will be used in a boat like a "combat switch". If for any reson you want to get out of an area no matter what you will use the combat switch and could run the engine to destruction as long as you get away.

This is not intended for any illegal use, just so you know! :)

/Joakim

ScarabEpic22
November 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Interesting thought, I dont know but I would like to find out!

Plus the thought of a 6.6L turbo diesel V8 in a speedboat just puts a fat grin on my face. :D

JoakimMD
November 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM
We supplied a twin LBZ installation to the Garmin team in Round Britain Race 2008.
http://www.hunton.co.uk/powerboat-race-2008.html

I have tried 25-30 ft RIBs with single installation with everythning from stock 365 to nearly 500 hp and different stearndrive ratios and props. I can tell you it put a fat grin on your face!

The only problem is the massive tourqe for drives and gearboxes to handle. You must tune the tourqe down in low rpms.

A 560 hp tune with close to 1500 Nm of tourqe is asking for trouble! :)

JoakimMD
November 18th, 2009, 12:50 AM
So, back to the original question. Does anybody know at what engine temp and oil pressure the engine shuts down? If ever? Maybe it just goes into limp mode or reduced power/rpm.

/Joakim

killerbee
November 22nd, 2009, 04:25 AM
You can set up your limp mode fueling to be zero.

The exposed ECM has no "shutdown" per se that I have become aware of, citing likely safety reasons.