PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using serial output from FJO WB?

67SS509
November 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Been trying to get my EFIlive to work with the serial output from the FJO (GEN2). Can't get past "Controller Not Found" when programming the V2.

Talked with a FJO tech person today. He said it will not work with EFIlive. Now I don't know who to believe. If anyone has FJO-serial working please let me know.

joecar
November 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Try this: swap the Tx and Rx wires in the FJO cable.

67SS509
November 17th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Try this: swap the Tx and Rx wires in the FJO cable.

I tried that today. Same result. I did get the pin location from the FJO tech for the Tx and Rx. My hook up was correct to start with.

joecar
November 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I pm'd Tech Support.

67SS509
November 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks. I really want to get a serial wideband working. If the FJO is not going to do the job for me which model no. of the Innovate do I need?

joecar
November 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Which FlashScan V2 firmware do you have...?

67SS509
November 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Which FlashScan V2 firmware do you have...?

Where do I find this?

Blacky
November 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Which FJO unit do you have?
FJO won't publish the serial protocol specs for the later FJO models.

Still, we have "reverse engineered" the protocol for the late model units but I can't gaurantee that they will work.

Also make sure you have the latest FlashScan firmware, V2.06.16

Regards
Paul

joecar
November 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Use EFILive Explorer to see what firmware your V2 has...

67SS509
November 17th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Which FJO unit do you have?
FJO won't publish the serial protocol specs for the later FJO models.

Still, we have "reverse engineered" the protocol for the late model units but I can't gaurantee that they will work.

Also make sure you have the latest FlashScan firmware, V2.06.16

Regards
Paul

It's a GenerationII FJO with the NTK sensor. It will be tomorrow before I can get the V2 firmware number.

Thanks

Blacky
November 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
The GenII should work fine, we have the official protocol for those. (Its the GenIII that we had to reverse engineer). However, I'm pretty sure you need the latest FlashScan firmware to connect to the FJO devices.

If you have the latest firmware (V2.06.16) and hook it up and it still does not work check for these things:

1. Make sure the orange LED (second LED from the left) flashes periodically when the FJO is connected. That indicates serial data is being received by FlashScan. It flashes once about about 3-4 seconds.

2. If the LED is flashing but you still get "Controller not found", please select the option: Scan Tool->Scan Options->Save Trace File. Then copy the saved trace file from FlashScan to your PC using EFILive_Explorer (part of the EFILive V8 software) and email the trace file to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

67SS509
November 18th, 2009, 02:50 AM
From the best I can tell I have version V2.06.04

How do I upgrade?

joecar
November 18th, 2009, 04:40 AM
See here: showthread.php?p=105679#post105679 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=105679#post105679)

Be sure to first read the pdf mentioned there.

Install both V7.5 and V8.1;
connect V2 to PC;
run EFILive Explorer, got F12:Firmware.

67SS509
November 18th, 2009, 07:22 AM
See here: showthread.php?p=105679#post105679 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=105679#post105679)

Be sure to first read the pdf mentioned there.

Install both V7.5 and V8.1;
connect V2 to PC;
run EFILive Explorer, got F12:Firmware.

OK, got the new V7.5 and V8.1 installed on my laptop. I have a F12:Firmware tab but the Firmware version says 2.06.06, so how do I upgrade to the needed 2.06.16?

mr.prick
November 18th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Make sure you have the right BB installed first. :)

In the File Name: box Browse to C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Firmware
then Program the FW.
After that format the config. files and copy the new ones to the V2.

Blacky
November 18th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Download and install the V8 software from here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12014

Once installed, the V2.06.16 firmware file will be available in the folder:
C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Firmware

Regards
Paul

67SS509
November 18th, 2009, 07:48 AM
There are 4 files in the firmware folder...which one?

mr.prick
November 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
FSProgV2_06_16.efw

67SS509
November 18th, 2009, 08:24 AM
FSProgV2_06_16.efw

Good to go on that one. Just need a little more help on the reformatting config files. Is this under the F9:Config Files? Or do I go to >V7.5>Configuration?

joecar
November 18th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Did you first install the latest bootblock/firmware...?

If so, you should now be at bootblock 2.06.02 and firmware 2.06.16, verify this.

In EFILive Explorer (EE) Under the Config tab there is a Format button, press this to format the Config space;
On the V2, go into the setup options and format the Data space (do both internal and SD card).

Then you will have to configure the Options.txt and Settings.dat files:
- start the Scan And Tune (S&T) program,
- go into F5: Black Box Settings,
- goto tab F3:Scan Settings,
- edit/create your pidlists and pids,
- save to file, and program to V2;
- goto tab F4:Tune Settings,
- edit which PCM's you want to read;
- exit Black Box Settings;
- go into F6:Device Settings,
- goto tab F6:BBL (Logging):
- enable all external digital pids,
- set logging speed to Fast(10-40);
- goto tab F8:Serial I/O
- set Com Port to wideband;
- set Wideband to FJO Gen1/Gen2 (you have a Gen2, right...?),
- set Format to 1st wideband only or to both,
- set Display Data to AFR & EQRatio;
- exit Device Settings;
- exit S&T;

Now, start EFILive Explorer (EE), goto Config tab, press Home, you should see these files in both upper and lower panes:
- Options.txt
- *.pmm for the vehicles you're interested in,
- *.bix and *.obj for same vehicles;
- Settings.dat;
If you don't see those files in thelower pane Config tab, then locate them in the upper pane and copy them to the lower pane Config tab.

Also locate the *.dtc files (maybe in the Scan folder in the upper pane) and copy them to the Config tab in the lower pane.

You should now be able to connect to your FJO and view its serial AFR output.

articSS
November 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM
i would love to know this also. i have a fjo and dont know to wire uo the fjo to serial port. i use it thru the analog but i didnt know it would work with the serial port. where can i get a diagram or cable to connect it.

joecar
November 18th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Read this material (it's for LC-1, but same applies to FJO):

V2 serial/digital wideband logging:
showthread.php?t=8858 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8858)
showthread.php?t=8115 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8115)
showthread.php?t=10251 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10251) post #2

V2 serial/digital AFR input (LC-1):
showthread.php?t=8115 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8115)
showthread.php?t=7532 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7532)
showthread.php?t=8348 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8348)
showthread.php?t=9340 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9340) post #3

articSS
November 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM
the manual dosent have a seial wire it has two analog outputs. would you mind going to fjo site and download the manual and look at the wiring diagram. thx.

mr.prick
November 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM
It should be as simple as connecting the FJO and V2 together
then setting the WBO2 Type in the V2.

Maybe the serial protocol is not right for the FJO?
I imagine that someone has gotten the FJO to work w/serial.

67SS509
November 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Did you first install the latest bootblock/firmware...?

If so, you should now be at bootblock 2.06.02 and firmware 2.06.16, verify this.

In EFILive Explorer (EE) Under the Config tab there is a Format button, press this to format the Config space;
On the V2, go into the setup options and format the Data space (do both internal and SD card).

Then you will have to configure the Options.txt and Settings.dat files:
- start the Scan And Tune (S&T) program,
- go into F5: Black Box Settings,
- goto tab F3:Scan Settings,
- edit/create your pidlists and pids,
- goto tab F4:Tune Settings,
- edit which PCM's you want to read;
- exit Black Box Settings;
- go into F6:Device Settings,
- goto tab F6:BBL (Logging):
- enable all external digital pids,
- set logging speed to Fast(10-40);
- goto tab F8:Serial I/O
- set Com Port to wideband;
- set Wideband to FJO Gen1/Gen2 (you have a Gen2, right...?),
- set Format to 1st wideband only or to both,
- set Display Data to AFR & EQRatio;
- exit Device Settings;
- exit S&T;

Now, start EFILive Explorer (EE), goto Config tab, press Home, you should see these files in both upper and lower panes:
- Options.txt
- *.pmm for the vehicles you're interested in,
- *.bix and *.obj for same vehicles;
- Settings.dat;
If you don't see those files in thelower pane Config tab, then locate them in the upper pane and copy them to the lower pane Config tab.

Also locate the *.dtc files (maybe in the Scan folder in the upper pane) and copy them to the Config tab in the lower pane.

You should now be able to connect to your FJO and view its serial AFR output.

Thanks Joecar...10-4 on the bootlock and firmware. All that you have posted here is overwhelming for me at my skill level. Guess I'll just wade thru it and see what happens. Might have to drive over to your house and bring my laptop and V2 to let you set it up for me.LOL

joecar
November 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I color coded each section... print that out and work thru it step by step...

Where do you live...?

67SS509
November 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I color coded each section... print that out and work thru it step by step...

Where do you live...?

The way you layed it out a "caveman" should be able to do it. Only problem is a caveman is smarter than me:hihi:

I have no idea where you live...assuming west coast or down under. I'm in southeastern North Carolina so it would be a long, long drive.:grin: I got an idea...e-mail you my laptop and V2...wait..it won't go thru the wires!

67SS509
November 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM
the manual dosent have a seial wire it has two analog outputs. would you mind going to fjo site and download the manual and look at the wiring diagram. thx.

According to the pinout the FJO tech gave me for the FJO the Tx and Rx leads are reversed from the LC-1. So instead of using the Null Modem I purchased (2) 9-pin male ends from RadioShack and made my own connector. Still have yet to see mine work so this is not in concrete yet.

mr.prick
November 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
It should be the same as any DB9 cable, if not it wouldn't work with a PC.

joecar
November 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM
The way you layed it out a "caveman" should be able to do it. Only problem is a caveman is smarter than me:hihi:

I have no idea where you live...assuming west coast or down under. I'm in southeastern North Carolina so it would be a long, long drive.:grin: I got an idea...e-mail you my laptop and V2...wait..it won't go thru the wires!I live in So Cal... yeah it's a long drive... might be fun...:rockon:

Look at the attached pics, they may help...

67SS509
November 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM
The GenII should work fine, we have the official protocol for those. (Its the GenIII that we had to reverse engineer). However, I'm pretty sure you need the latest FlashScan firmware to connect to the FJO devices.

If you have the latest firmware (V2.06.16) and hook it up and it still does not work check for these things:

1. Make sure the orange LED (second LED from the left) flashes periodically when the FJO is connected. That indicates serial data is being received by FlashScan. It flashes once about about 3-4 seconds.

2. If the LED is flashing but you still get "Controller not found", please select the option: Scan Tool->Scan Options->Save Trace File. Then copy the saved trace file from FlashScan to your PC using EFILive_Explorer (part of the EFILive V8 software) and email the trace file to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

Followed all the steps as presented by Joecar. Starting to feel pretty good that maybe I can put this together. Still got the "Controller not Found" again today but the 2nd LED is flashing every 4-5 seconds. Trace file to you is in the "e-mail".

Blacky
November 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I've got the trace file, thanks.
I'll look into it and get back to you if I can see anything useful.
Paul

Blacky
November 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Its all good, the trace shows you are receiving valid wide band data in the range 13.2 to 14.2.

The wideband data is transmitted from the FJO GenII device in the format:
0x31 0x34 0x2E 0x32 0x0A (14.2)
0x31 0x34 0x2E 0x30 0x0A (14.0)
0x31 0x33 0x2E 0x39 0x0A (13.9)
0x31 0x33 0x2E 0x35 0x0A (13.5)

Which means there are actually 5 bytes per sample. Because we do not have a gen-II device to test with here, I could only implement the interface according to the specification provided by FJO.

Unfortunately the specification from FJO stated there were only three bytes per sample. Despite my repeated requests to clarify whether or not the decimal point (0x2E) was part of the frame and whether or not there was a frame separator character such as the 0x0A, the FJO technical guy(s) were not able to provide that information - maybe they just didn't understand what I was asking for. They kept on saying the data was 3 ASCII characters in the format X.XX, which is difficult to understand given that the example "XX.X" is actually 4 ASCII characters.

Anyway, now that I have a real world data sample from the gen-II device I will fix the FlashScan firmware to read it correctly.

Regards
Paul

67SS509
November 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks Paul! Does this mean there will be a new revision to the firmware or will I be getting something from you to patch mine?

Blacky
November 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I'll send you a private update as soon as I can.

The timing right now couldn't be worse, I've just upgraded the development machines to Win7 (finally got rid of Vista) but messed up the de-licensing/re-licensing of our embedded development compiler software. I have to wait for the manufacturers to reset our licenses in their license database which won't happen until next week.

So until then I can't actually fix the problem... :(

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
November 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Win 7 >>> Vista. Good call, Im waiting to buy W7 Ult when I get home for Christmas. Gotta love Microsoft hookups!

mr.prick
November 21st, 2009, 02:52 AM
You actually bought Vista?
I thought you guys where smarter than that. :hihi:
Who knew Vista would have such a short life. :doh2:
MS should give everyone that bought it a full refund towards the new OS.

Blacky
November 21st, 2009, 08:54 AM
You actually bought Vista?
I thought you guys where smarter than that. :hihi:
Who knew Vista would have such a short life. :doh2:
MS should give everyone that bought it a full refund towards the new OS.

Yup, paid for in full and no discount on the upgrade to Win7 :rippedhand:
Paul

67SS509
November 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks Paul for a job well done! Got the revised firmware from you this evening and installed it. Took a few minutes to realize I had to go back thru the V2 settings after the new firmware was installed. Now it displays the 02 reading on the LCD screen and logs correctly on the dashboard and BEN map. I am one happy camper for this accomplishment. I've got a day scheduled on the dyno tomorrow and this makes it perfect timing.:cheers:

mr.prick
November 24th, 2009, 02:59 PM
:cucumber:

67SS509
November 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Also thanks to Mr.prick and Joecar! They helped me a ton.

joecar
November 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
"I love it when a plan comes together."

Good job...:cheers:...let us know how your dyno session goes.

67SS509
November 25th, 2009, 01:24 PM
"I love it when a plan comes together."

Good job...:cheers:...let us know how your dyno session goes.

Me Too!

The dyno thing was fun. It was a DynoJet with a DynoJet analog wideband and I think a Bosch type sensor. All tuning was done with my EFIlive based on my wideband. There was a difference from my wideband and the dyno's wideband. At WOT when I was showing 12.8 AFR the DynoJet was showing about 12.0 AFR. Based on several things (including the way mine responded) I made the decision that mine was the most accurate and tuned accordingly. I need to put mine on something "stock" now so I can compare it to the narrowbands.

Did 515rwhp N/A and 650rwhp on a 200 shot. This was thru an 8" unlocked converter. Appears I'm losing 22-24% thru the converter and drivetrain.

LS1_Dragster
November 25th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Congrats....

I always felt you were too rich, did you do any pulls after adding or subtracting fuel to see if it picked up any HP one way or the other? How about timing, did you make any pulls varying the timing?

I wish I knew what the dragster put out, it would be very interesting.

Lee

67SS509
November 26th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Congrats....

I always felt you were too rich, did you do any pulls after adding or subtracting fuel to see if it picked up any HP one way or the other? How about timing, did you make any pulls varying the timing?

I wish I knew what the dragster put out, it would be very interesting.

Lee

Actually it was not that far off at WOT. The other thing is with the 5600 converter it only hits 3 cells at WOT. First motor pull hp was 513 and last was 515. Didn't change the timing any based that on dyno pulls 3 years ago with this motor said it made the most hp at 24*. N20 pull was with 19* of timing. I try not to make many "what if" pulls because that's runs I can be making down the strip:)

joecar
November 26th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Good job... :cheers: ...which car is this (is it the 98)...?

Blacky
November 26th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks Paul! Does this mean there will be a new revision to the firmware or will I be getting something from you to patch mine?

I sent you the updated firmware with the FJO Gen2 update, did you receive it?
Regards
Paul

joecar
November 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Paul, he got it going... I merged his "success" thread into this thread... see post #39: showpost.php?p=109427&postcount=39 (http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=109427&postcount=39)

67SS509
November 26th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Good job... :cheers: ...which car is this (is it the 98)...?

Yes...the LS7/427 in the Camaro. (was in the truck for 3 years, decided it would be more fun in something 1200 lbs. lighter)

joecar
November 26th, 2009, 11:43 AM
lol... weight:power ratio can be fun... :cheers: