PDA

View Full Version : Question about MAF calibration table.

Redline Motorsports
October 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM
How should the MAF calibration table {B5001} be used when tuning? I thought that the factory calibration will still respond well to modifications such as cylinder head and cam changes? I have been studying a variety of tunes and noticed that the last quarter of the MAF scale has been increased on some of them.

If you get your VE table on the money shouldn't a factory calibrated sensor no need massaging?

Appreciate a bit of clarification and pointers.

Thanks

Howard

Black02SS
October 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM
What I have seen on several cars is after the VE table is dialed in without the MAF, as soon as you hook it back up, the car will run lean. This is where you need to use the MAF calibration MAP to "recalibrate" the MAF for it to correspond to the correct AFR.

Redline Motorsports
October 25th, 2005, 04:23 PM
How does the scaling work once you see it leaner after SD tuning? What direction do you go to rich or lean it out? Also after SD tuning is it typically lean all over or only at high rpm/loads?

I only ask that because it seems like the latter part of the scale typically gets changed.

Black02SS
October 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
When I recalibrate the MAF I do it in two steps. I re-enable the MAF and will add 10% to the table to make sure she isn't lean. Then I will make two MAPs, one for VE like we used when we adjusted the VE table according to the BEN factor and one for the MAF table the same way. I go out and log the VE table MAP hitting every cell I can the same way as when in SD, making sure they are populated with a good average. After that is completed I open the MAF map and you will see the BEN factor in relation to the MAF Frequency. I highlight the entire MAF map and right click, copy. Open the editor and goto the MAF table and again, highlight the entire table, right click and PASTE and Multiply. Flash the car and do another log. Its a rinse and repeat process just the same as tuning the ve table was. After the VE table shows me between .98-1.02 I am done.

johnsZ06
October 26th, 2005, 02:29 AM
I made a MAP to log DYNAIR vs. MAF freq, compared it to the stock calibration and noticed in some areas, I have 50% more flow than the stock calibration would report! Because of this, my LTFT's jumped up to +25 across the board once the MAF was enabled!

Another thing I noticed in the stock MAF table is that the airflow, although not linear, does report the frequency in a predictable manner. Real world measurements with an aftermarket air filter however, show an unpredictable up and down flow from one frequency to the next! This tells me there is much turbulence in my intake tract and another reason to run without the MAF for now.