PDA

View Full Version : pin # in flashscans menu

Eric
November 20th, 2009, 02:03 PM
hello eric here , have a question about the pin # in the v2 menu , what is this pin # for and do i need it , it seems like it came without one and until i create one it wont ask me for it , is this correct , i went through the manuals and saw nothing about this , anybody thank you

ScarabEpic22
November 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Its a security deal, if you dont want to use it then simply do not enter a pin. I played with it a while back, got too frustrating entering in a pin all the time so I went back to not having one.

Cougar281
November 21st, 2009, 06:59 AM
The main advantage to the PIN is if the FS is stolen, it's pretty much a coaster for whoever stole it.

macca_779
November 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM
The main advantage to the PIN is if the FS is stolen, it's pretty much a coaster for whoever stole it.
exactly. Considering my V2 is worth thousands of dollars with streams and what not. If it gets nicked then I dont want any bastard to get any use out of it.

Eric
November 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
thanks alot guys for the info, Eric

ScarabEpic22
November 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Thats probably better for the guys who have streams and tons of VIN licenses, if I ever get a stream Ill probably put a PIN on it but right now its only got 7 VIN licenses on it. And I never leave it in my car, only on roadtrips and even then I bury it. Whenever I do anything around town I bring it inside.

mr.prick
November 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
If someone steals your V1/V2 they will still need the software license to use it.

ChipsByAl
November 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
I have used the V2 on a PC with only the software installed. No license was ever installed on it to program the ECM.
Al

mr.prick
November 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
I thought when connecting to Flashscan the detects the license.txt in
but it seems to only read the device's serial# only.
The software should not allow connection to a PCM or Flashscan without
at least a scan only license IMO.
You can't do anything with the RR without the software license. :nixweiss:

You can't use the software to edit tunes without the software license but
there are ways around that. :sneaky:

ScarabEpic22
November 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
I think if there isnt a FS connected the program uses the license.txt file, if there is one connected it reads the stored license info on the FS and uses that. Ive never tried it before but I might have to later this coming week.

I played with the PIN thing a few mins ago, since so far its only asked me to enter the PIN when I first boot the V2 Ill leave one on there for now. If it becomes too much of a hassle Ill remove it but as everyone's said, cheap insurance.