PDA

View Full Version : New to Diesel and EFI live

Fueler
November 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Great info and great site, I have read around the site a bit, and there seems o be a ton of info in regards to duramax tuning, I am very intimidated as I tune ford Gas Cars with SCT and just recently realized that I have alot to learn about the EFI software as well as diesel....

Recently picked up a customers car in TX (about a 23hr drive from my shop in PA) in my 08 Duramax 2500 CC 4wd, I have been happy with it's fuel milage until this trip.

I have seen as much as 20mpg hwy empty and would average around 17mpg over the course of my average week.

My trip started well and was averaging 16.5mpg (16ft open trailer, 800# 'glas
willy's body), but quickly fell to 13 after my second fuel stop.

A customer who just purchased a Camaro SS and wanted to do some tuning.
I was contemplating a PPE flasher until the combo of the situations above lined up and now I can justify EFI live.

So here are my first few questions,

1, AFR or EGT?

2, If EGT (which I assume), what is a good target value?
a, does more fuel make more power?
b, what causes smoke?

3, Can one of the stock DPF EGT's sensors be used to tune with?

4, What are the effects of injector timing?

5, Can the original ECM be replaced with another to avoid the "rewrite count" to retain the warranty? I.E. Keep the original completely stock and make my changes to a junk yard core.

My original plan was to just log the stock stuff but hoped that I could trim my learning curve with some input from you guys.

I really had no plans on ever messing with the truck until I watched my fuel mileage wash away because of the federal government. I really do not need to make any more power (although it wouldn't hurt my feelings), I would just like to make it better.

Thanks in advance, I love communities like this.

Mike

LBZoom
November 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hey man!

1.) EGT, 1400 is sustainable, 1600 momentary.

2.) Yes more fuel is more power but adjust the boost and timing to match so you have efficient power. Excessive smoke is caused by over-fueling, lack of boost (air mixture), poor fuel pressure, and possibly poor timing. Typically the first 2 things. It is normal to have a short burst of smoke when you punch it, bc the turbo needs a second to catch up, however it should clear up quickly.

3.) I'm not sure about the DPF bc I have an LBZ which does not have one.... I just have a gauge in the pillar.

4.) Injection timing is one of the most critical factors in efficient power. Timing reduces smoke, lowers EGT's, and improves economy when done properly. Timing should increase as both fuel and RPM increases. However, if you increase boost much, you may need to lower your timing some to avoid premature ignition as added boost will heat the mixture faster, I prefer to not add boost unless I need to burn fuel above what timing only can do.

5.) And yes you can use a junk yard ECM and re flash it to your operating system or purchase a new one, a fella by the name of Killer Bee or Bee Killer (sorry I get it mixed up somtimes) who is on here sells them new. He also has an excellent tutorial on timing!

bballer182
November 23rd, 2009, 02:28 AM
1. if you want really good results use both EGT and AFR. AFR will yield some good data to do tuning for mileage. And EGT logging will keep your truck safe. 1600* is for like sled pulling trucks holding 1400* is a little risky i would say. I personally wouldn't hold more that 1250* for too long.

2. Yes more fuel makes more power but you need the air to keep things cool. Some more fuel.. more air is needed. and when you add fuel without adding timing you start getting hot EGTs and lots of smoke. So smoke control consists of more boost and more timing.

3. the DPF EGT sensors are probably not suitable for tuning or logging as they are a resistance type which are a little more inaccurate than the standard k-type that everyone uses.

5. yeah get a junk yard ECM, and save your warranty.

Fueler
November 23rd, 2009, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the response guys, I do not want to become a hardcore diesel tuner, I just thought that I may want to mess around with the truck a bit.

I guess I have alot to learn...
I really do not want to get into swapping turbos and such, I just want to get a bit better milage and if power comes along with it then BONUS.

Some of my questions may seem stupid from time to time, the only thing that i know about diesel is that the fuel is stinky and it does not evaporate!

JoakimMD
November 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
the only thing that i know about diesel is that the fuel is stinky and it does not evaporate!

Diesel "stinks" woundelful! Ofcause it evaporates, just at a higer temperature compared to petrol. :)

LBZoom
November 29th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Stinky? Man I'm hurt by that comment... lol. No stupid questions on here! The only stupid question is the one that you didn't ask right before you made the change that blew your motor! haha :cheers: