PDA

View Full Version : overwriting HPT COS

OLS108
December 3rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hi,

Got a mate who has a Commodore wagon that has a HPT mafless tune it in, few problems with the tune and he isnt happy, so i am going to tune it for him. However i tried to copy the tune out to see if it was locked and i got the bootloader rejected deal as i expected.

my said mate called the previous tuner who promised the tune wasnt locked, and the reason i couldnt read the tune was because it was a HPT COS and Flashscan V2 couldnt read it ( that made sense to me ) so now i am left wondering, if i flashed in a EFI LIVE COS into the PCM would it work ?

I did a search, but there wasnt really a solid answer to my question.

Cheers:shock:

MyM8V8
December 3rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
We'll let you know how we get on then, coz we are about to do the same with my VX Clubby. It has an HPT Cos tune (but apparently not locked) but efilive can't read it.

We are going to flash an Efilive Cos tune over the top when we have built it.

Cheers.

Blacky
December 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
I am not an expert on how HPT works, but I think the HPT software automatically locks custom OS tunes. If that is the case, then EFILive will not be able to read or overwrite the PCM until the original tuner returns it to a non-HPT custom OS. If the PCM is not locked then EFILive will be able to overwrite the existing tune with a full flash regardless of what tune is in the ECM.

You can check whether the PCM is really locked or not by using the [Status] button on the PCM locking window (Menu: Flash->PCM Security).

Regards
Paul

MyM8V8
December 3rd, 2009, 07:09 AM
I am not an expert on how HPT works, but I think the HPT software automatically locks custom OS tunes. If that is the case, then EFILive will not be able to read or overwrite the PCM until the original tuner returns it to a non-HPT custom OS. If the PCM is not locked then EFILive will be able to overwrite the existing tune with a full flash regardless of what tune is in the ECM.

You can check whether the PCM is really locked or not by using the [Status] button on the PCM locking window (Menu: Flash->PCM Security).

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul. That's really useful info'. I'll hook it it up and check first.

Did you really mean " ...returns it to a non HPT custom OS"

Chevy366
December 3rd, 2009, 08:04 AM

A standard HPT tune can be read and written over the COSs are a no go , so if the tuner flashes a stock file or at least a modified but not COS file you will be fine , bad thing about HPT is it cost to flash a COS and then it cost again to return it to stock . :gossip:

Blacky
December 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM

Yes, what Chevy366 said.
Paul

GMPX
December 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
bad thing about HPT is it cost to flash a COS and then it cost again to return it to stock . :gossip: But of course :doh:

SRT10KLLR
December 9th, 2009, 06:26 AM
A standard HPT tune can be read and written over the COSs are a no go , so if the tuner flashes a stock file or at least a modified but not COS file you will be fine , bad thing about HPT is it cost to flash a COS and then it cost again to return it to stock . :gossip:
Yes, I did just that with a 2010 Camaro that had been tuned with HPT.

Tre-Cool
December 10th, 2009, 03:09 AM
so let me get this right, my mate has a gts (e38) that been tuned by hptuners with a 2 bar tune. its not locked as i can download the tune, but not read it (so custom hptuners os).

can i do a full flash with a stock os with efilive? to get it running again.

also does anyone have a stock tune for an 07 6.2l manual gts or will a 09 tune work fine for starters?

MyM8V8
December 10th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Well I hooked up my efilive to the PCM and it was able to get the PCM details i.e op' system etc.

But I am not able to (Tune tool) Flash>Read calibration.

Does that mean the HPT tune is locked as well?

GMPX
December 10th, 2009, 08:25 AM
so let me get this right, my mate has a gts (e38) that been tuned by hptuners with a 2 bar tune. its not locked as i can download the tune, but not read it (so custom hptuners os).

can i do a full flash with a stock os with efilive? to get it running againYes you can but you need to be careful, if he's HPT custom OS was say 01250210 does that mean anything to you? It doesn't to me either and this is where you can get caught by programming in the wrong year stock OS. This is where access to TIS2WEB is useful to get the stock program back in.
I know this is in the GenIII section but as we've digressed to E38's I'll mention that I've unlocked several E38's with HPT custom OS's and figured out what the stock OS should be, here's a short list (Aussie cars).

HPT = Standard
---------------------
01250210 = 12612381
01250219 = 12619078
01250223 = 12624402
01250228 = 12633016

Well I hooked up my efilive to the PCM and it was able to get the PCM details i.e op' system etc.

But I am not able to (Tune tool) Flash>Read calibration.

Does that mean the HPT tune is locked as well?
That means it is locked if the read process does not start.

Cheers,
Ross

ringram
December 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
RoadRunner time then mate. Or Jessie will sell you a cheapo LS1 PCM.

Tre-Cool
December 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Cheers Ross.

I'm getting him to swing past later today, so will get a screen shot of his ecu info, as it turns out it's an my09 gts and not 07.

GMPX
December 10th, 2009, 04:36 PM
You 'have' to use the correct year / model cal or you will run in to trouble, eg, don't put a Ute calibration in to a GTS.

drdarthinvader
December 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
there must be a solution to every problem heres a crazy idea! total pcm format?

Tre-Cool
December 10th, 2009, 07:18 PM
You 'have' to use the correct year / model cal or you will run in to trouble, eg, don't put a Ute calibration in to a GTS.
Ross do you have a calbration for the following I could use?

OS=01250223 -Hptuners OS ID=AA
CAL=12624488
BCC=YRTM
Eng op id= 92230186
eng diag = 92230181
fuel = 92230177
system=92230179
speedometer =92230175

ScarabEpic22
December 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
From an earlier post by Ross that HPT COS is a regular 12624402 OS, but if you are looking for a calibration/OS to use Im afraid I cant help you.

Tre-Cool
December 10th, 2009, 10:37 PM
From an earlier post by Ross that HPT COS is a regular 12624402 OS, but if you are looking for a calibration/OS to use Im afraid I cant help you.
yeah i realise that and holdencrazy has a os for a 09 holden but it's an auto.

i assume i cant use that as a base?

GMPX
December 11th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Tre-Cool, punch the VIN in to CalID and list what it should have in it. The segment part numbers you listed aren't the same as the 12624402 based GTS M6 tune I have here.

mistermike
December 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I had a custom OS HPT on mine. I had to flash it back to a standard OS with HPT before I would write with EFI LIve.

GMPX
December 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Probably because HPT autolocks PCM's when they flash a custom OS in, by returning it to stock (with HPT) it also unlocks it.

Cheers,
Ross

Tre-Cool
December 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Tre-Cool, punch the VIN in to CalID and list what it should have in it. The segment part numbers you listed aren't the same as the 12624402 based GTS M6 tune I have here.
Summary

Software Description
Main Software Calibration Module 12624402
System Calibration Module 92230179
Fuel Calibration Module 92230177
Speed Calibration Module 92230175
Engine Diag. Calibration Module 92230181
Engine Calibration Module 92230186
MY09 RPR1 calibration 20 inch wheel setups

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selected Options:
VIN: 6G1EX55W69L232508
Salesmake: Holden
Model Year: 2009
Model: VE CALAIS
Engine: 6.2L V8
Badge :: Holden
Controller: ECM Engine Control Module
Country of Registration: Australia & New Zealand

Never heard of any 6.2lt Calais's have you!

doubledip
December 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
hehehe thats cause the car is based on a calais from the production line (has calais options)

Tre-Cool
December 21st, 2009, 03:22 AM
What, NO ONE in the world of eflive has a CAL to help me out?

JezzaB
December 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
This is the closest I have. Have 3 and they are all the same. Couple of yours are updated. Sorry mate

Jez

Tre-Cool
December 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
that one looks spot on Jez.

You able to email it to me? david @ vyssute . com

Frost
December 26th, 2009, 07:01 PM

All of HPT's custom OS's (at least for GenIII) lock the PCM. They say it is for protection of intellectual property. I've never gone through the motions to unlock one specifically with a custom OS, but I suppose it should work like unlocking any other of the same.

Not trying to stir, but your last statement is not true at all. For the user's who are not tuners (so they are on credits for all of their cars), once they pay for a custom OS upgrade, they get access to all 1, 2, 3bar and MAF Enhanced (basically stock with real time tuning) OS's as well as the option to go back to the OEM OS. There is no additional charge.

Tre-Cool
December 27th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks to Jezza who sent me the required stock E38 cal, i managed to overwrite the POS Shop tune that was in my mates car and all is well with the universe and the car is leaps above the "Shop" tune that he paid for.

JezzaB
December 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Good to hear. With an E38 or E40 PCM you can just write over the top. Ive done it many many times. LS1 is a no go. I have HPT too buts easier for me to pull the chip and have it back on with a clean slate in under 15mins even if its locked.

Frost
December 27th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Good to hear. With an E38 or E40 PCM you can just write over the top. Ive done it many many times. LS1 is a no go. I have HPT too buts easier for me to pull the chip and have it back on with a clean slate in under 15mins even if its locked.

Those are easier since they can't be locked (traditionally). I thought we were talking a 896 or 411 PCM since this is GenIII though. On those, I will pull the flash chip too if they are locked but if it's just a COS that needs removing, it's a 2-minute process on the bench to put them back to OEM formatting.

Kojab
February 26th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Any chance of getting a copy of this cal (12624402 6.2L manual) emailed to me? kojab@bigpond.com TIA.

This is the closest I have. Have 3 and they are all the same. Couple of yours are updated. Sorry mate

Jez

LSxPwrdZ
March 1st, 2013, 03:14 AM
I know the previous posts are old but any custom HPT OS may be locked when using EFILive to try and read the file but if you also have HPTuners it will read out just fine pending the tuner didn't put a tuner lock on the PCM to truly lock it. I have both softwares and this really helps with not having to dig into the PCM to reflash the ROM on a burner.

Still sucks that HPT does this though because there isn't anything special on the custom OS's other than RTT that isn't also supported here with EFILive. Either way having both gets you around most issues with either software/hardware.

joecar
March 1st, 2013, 04:22 AM
Hi James.

tokymon
March 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM
it also goes both way's if it's a efi custom os hp can read either it's to do with the way the make the custom os

LSxPwrdZ
March 1st, 2013, 12:31 PM
Whats up Joe. Glad to be with you guy's now. Havine one or the other really does only give you partial ability to do stuff. I've found out though that I should have bought EFILive 8yrs ago instead of HPT haha. At least EFI cares about the aftermarket and supports it! Happy customer/tuner so far with EFILive!