PDA

View Full Version : which setting would you use to lessen the throttle response?

smslyguy
December 5th, 2009, 07:30 AM
which setting would you use if you want less throttle response? This is for a 2000 gmc truck. 5.3

Mr. P.
December 5th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Depends, you could do a few things.

If the reason is because you are racing and want more traction from a standing start then you could soften the timing a little.

If the reason is that you want better freeway economy you could run a little leaner, like AFR in the low-15's during cruise and that will domesticate the motor a bit.

I am sure there are a few other strategies too.

Not trying to pry, but what makes you ask?

Mr. P. :)

smslyguy
December 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Depends, you could do a few things.

If the reason is because you are racing and want more traction from a standing start then you could soften the timing a little.

If the reason is that you want better freeway economy you could run a little leaner, like AFR in the low-15's during cruise and that will domesticate the motor a bit.

I am sure there are a few other strategies too.

Not trying to pry, but what makes you ask?

I was hoping to squeze a little extra fuel out of it. I figured less responsive maybe better fuel economy. But i can't seem to find a setting for lessing this response???

Mr. P.
December 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM
You won't find one to 'lessen throttle response'; to gain economy needs a whole new tune, you have to combine a lot of little improvements across your whole tune, there's not one magic bullet. Your VE tuning needs to be spot-on first of all, then you need to get the AFR down in the .90 - .95 EQR, then you need to optimize spark timing, and optimize a lot of fuel enrichment mechanisms, etc. But it is worth doing, you can pick-up a lot of MPG and the best thing is that you can still have the motor go like hell when you want to - best of both worlds.

smslyguy
December 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM
You won't find one to 'lessen throttle response'; to gain economy needs a whole new tune, you have to combine a lot of little improvements across your whole tune, there's not one magic bullet. Your VE tuning needs to be spot-on first of all, then you need to get the AFR down in the .90 - .95 EQR, then you need to optimize spark timing, and optimize a lot of fuel enrichment mechanisms, etc. But it is worth doing, you can pick-up a lot of MPG and the best thing is that you can still have the motor go like hell when you want to - best of both worlds.

ya exactly, i have been working on all of the above, but i was hoping there was something that lessons the throttle response. I haven't had much luck with finding it, but i though i had read somewhere that there was a setting for this??? maybe not??