PDA

View Full Version : PCMCIA USB card

XLR8NSS
January 8th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Well, I put in my Flashscan order but, I have one small detail to work out before I can use it when it shows up. :)

My laptop has a serial port and PCMCIA ports but, NO USB port. I'd like to just get a PCMCIA USB card.

Has anyone with Flashscan(beta testers) or anyone at EFILive tested Flashscan with one of these cards and if so which one? I'd like to go with a proven combo if one has been tested.

Thanks

John

Blacky
January 8th, 2005, 09:55 AM
This was posted by one of our beta testers in our beta test forum:

Systems clean. Ended up picking up a Dynex DX-UC202 PCMCIA II USB2.0 adapter for $30 bucks and initial tests are positive. The software license refresh (and green usb light) react as quick as a click on the mouse button

I've PM'd him to see if there is anything else to add....

Regards
Paul

John Skiba
January 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Hi John!

I went with the Dynex USB 2.0 CardBus Notebook Card (DX-UC202) simply because I was at Best Buy and it was right there. :lol: I figured I'd give it a try and it works wonderfully with EFILive FlashScan!

One thing to note is that these noteboard USB cards need to draw their USB power from an existing USB port (which you obviously don't have), a PS2 port or an external power supply. I would suggest that you go with a version that comes with a PS2 power adapter plug for portability sake. (The Dynex DX-UC202 I grabbed came with the USB adapter but their installation guide also shows a PS2 power adapter.)

Like many advanced USB devices, FlashScan needs the USB ports to be capable of supply proper USB power. Something that the cardbus slot on its own is not capable of.

I have used this inexpensive USB cardbus adapter without issues. I have not tried others but this Dynex is based on the NEC controller like many others seem to be.

John

XLR8NSS
January 8th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Hey, Hi back at ya John :D

Thanks for the info on the card. I'll have to go and check it out at Best Buy and see about the power deal. I hope I don't get sidetracked and buy a new laptop while I'm there. :?

When I get my Flashscan setup I'll post up my experience with the USB adapter I get in this post for others that may be looking for the same info.

Thanks guys

John