PDA

View Full Version : TCC enable temperature function needed

Alex99
December 7th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I know this topic came up already but I would like to bring it up again.

Right now, we can not change the trans fluid temperature at which the TCC starts to operate. My 4l60 starts TCC operation at 70F.
I would be highly interested to change this value to a lower one to enable TCC use also in the winter right after a brief warmup phase.
Since the trans in a C5 corvette is a transaxle position, the fluid warms up very slowly.
It would be great if this function could be incorporated in one of the next software updates.
Thanks
Alex

schwoch1
February 13th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I know this an old thread, but I do have to agree, I could really use this table on my project also!!!

Mike

DrkPhx
February 14th, 2010, 03:47 AM
What type of project? Let the vehicle ECT warm up to operating temperature and drive it. The trans temp will increase right away at that point. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of set points to engage the TCC, besides the trans temp.

schwoch1
February 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM
What type of project? Let the vehicle ECT warm up to operating temperature and drive it. The trans temp will increase right away at that point. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of set points to engage the TCC, besides the trans temp.
I am using a '411 PCM as a 4L80E trans controller behind a 2 stroke Detroit diesel engine that takes quite a bit of time to warm up to 125-130 degrees on a cold day. Really isn't a huge deal, but it would be nice to be able to lock the converter before 10-15 min of driving has gone past!!!
I have looked my file over top and bottom and have not came up with the table that would do it. I am using a 2002 Express van 4L80E cal!!!

Mike

DrkPhx
February 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
That's a cool project and it makes sense now that you explain it. 10-15 minutes for lockup after driving is too long. I'm not familiar with that specific PCM, but do some of the other diesel ECM or TCM's have that capability?

Alex99
February 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I have a C5 Corvette that I drive in Michigan winters and have a hard time to get lockup after 10-15 min also when I start at 10degF or lower.
It would help tremendously if I could lower the engage temp from 20C (68F) to something like 50F.
This really kills my gas mileage every morning and evening.
I know that this feature was asked for in the past but I guess its not a priority for EFIlive or it is too hard to implement into a new release.

DrkPhx
February 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I have a C5 Corvette that I drive in Michigan winters and have a hard time to get lockup after 10-15 min also when I start at 10degF or lower.
It would help tremendously if I could lower the engage temp from 20C (68F) to something like 50F.
This really kills my gas mileage every morning and evening.
I know that this feature was asked for in the past but I guess its not a priority for EFIlive or it is too hard to implement into a new release.

You should consider a remote starter in that case. I daily drive a TB SS in MN where the temps can get crazy low as well and it works well for me.

ScarabEpic22
February 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
You should consider a remote starter in that case. I daily drive a TB SS in MN where the temps can get crazy low as well and it works well for me.

:rockon:

Need to get one installed in my SS, my 02 has one and I use it all the time. Best thing is to start my TB at the bottom of the ski lift, take my last run of the day, and come back to a toasty truck with warm seats. Oh yea!:grin:

schwoch1
February 16th, 2010, 03:15 AM

I wouldn't be able to do such a thing in my application thought, I wish I could. On them 0 degree days, would I be able to configure the PCM to empty 1/4 of ether in the intake before starting remotely ?????? ;)
Maybe someday, in the meantime, I'll let it warm up a bit I guess!!

Mike

wanarace
July 13th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Back from the dead. Has this ever been looked into?

I have my aux cooler after the factory rad cooler. As such, on the freeway it takes 20miles for the trans to warm up, and that's right now with it being 15C in the morning. This thing will never warm up when it's -20C.

So either I replumb the coolers like stock, aux -> rad, and let the rad warm up the fluid, or I re wire the TFT circuit with a resistor so the PCM always thinks the trans is warmed up.

Thanks
Steve

DrkPhx
July 13th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Back from the dead. Has this ever been looked into?

I have my aux cooler after the factory rad cooler. As such, on the freeway it takes 20miles for the trans to warm up, and that's right now with it being 15C in the morning. This thing will never warm up when it's -20C.

So either I replumb the coolers like stock, aux -> rad, and let the rad warm up the fluid, or I re wire the TFT circuit with a resistor so the PCM always thinks the trans is warmed up.

Thanks
Steve

Wow, old thread. I would try option 1 first since it would easier to reroute the trans fluid lines.

wanarace
July 14th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Actually in my case it would be easier to re wire the PCM. I just did the 411 swap on 1997 Yukon. So I am very intimate unpining the PCM. My cooler lines are custom made and mounted hydraulic hose lines wih an external filter. Heat kills transmissions. I have have a hard time wrapping my head around running the fluid through a nice external cooler only to warm it back up with engine coolant. Now I may have some problems come winter time here and I may have no choice but put it back to factory when temperatures plummet here come winter.

The only thing I can see that would be affected by the change out would the TCC lockup and hot mode for the trans. Since I am trying to program the trans to stay as cool as possible I don't think hot mode would actually prevent any damage that would not already happen from 140C.

I am going to try the resistor today and see what happens. I have a bunch of leftover pins, so can I pin the TFT signal wire from the PCM. Then tap the other end back into the TFT ground pin.

If the TFT resistance to temp is similar to other gm sensors a 220 or 180 ohm resistor should do it.

I will let you guys know how it goes.
Steve

joecar
July 14th, 2012, 09:03 PM
If it's so cold why do you need an external cooler (just use the in-radiator cooler only).

wanarace
July 20th, 2012, 12:07 AM
It's that cold for 6 months of the year. Come summer when it's 30C and I am towing 7500lbs I need all the cooling I can get.

I wired in a 200 ohm resistor. (actually 2 100ohm resistors in series) that gave me a TFT of 94. So far so good. Converter lockups up great first thing in the morning.

Steve

joecar
July 21st, 2012, 10:40 PM
If you can avoid fooling the PCM it would be better IMO $000.02...