PDA

View Full Version : Licening The OmniTuner DUAL-FLASH chips?

kbracing96
December 9th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Ok, Don't know if you guys have seen these yet, but I'm wondering how EFILive License are handled if you install one of these chip sets. Do both chips have to be licensed? Or does EFILive use something else to be locked too? If a PCM has been previously licensed and then one of these is installed, will it need to be re-licensed?

http://www.omnituner.com/

http://www.omnituner.com/Portals/0/DUAL-FLASH-TOP.png

Blacky
December 9th, 2009, 09:59 PM
We discussed this issue with Omnituner (and Moates) a month or two ago.

It requires a little planning ahead and involves you letting them know what the serial number is in your PCM. Then they will pre-flash the two switchable flash banks with a binary image that has the same serial number as your PCM before shipping it to you.

Then you can tune them both with the same FlashScan license that you used on your PCM.

Regards
Paul

kbracing96
December 10th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Thanks Paul. I ordered one yesterday to try it out just for fun and they didn't ask me any questions, in fact there wasn't even an option on the ordering page for 512k or 1 meg, I had to just tell them what I wanted. It's not a big deal for me as I have the LS1B stream, but I will pass this info on. :)

L31Sleeper
December 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
So Paul if you are doing a new PCM it only matters that they match each other?

How do they flash the serial # on there ??

doubledip
December 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM
When the tune is put on the flash it is the raw BIN file that goes on.. and because both chips can be flashed with the same raw file they will be the same serial.

so this way it is only one vin credit per dual flash PCM

oh and if the PCM has previously been flashed with EFILive the tune from that chip can be copied and placed on both new dual flash chips and then the licencing is still kept

L31Sleeper
December 27th, 2009, 03:11 AM
So whats to stop somebody from using the serial # you have licensed
on as many new PCMs as you want.

macca_779
December 27th, 2009, 04:11 AM
So whats to stop somebody from using the serial # you have licensed
on as many new PCMs as you want.

nothing.. but its quite a bit of screwing around isn't it.

Tordne
December 27th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Read post #2. The tune .tun/.bin does not contain the PCM serial number which is used by FlashScan for licensing. So it sounds like you do need to have the dual chip manufactured/programmed specifically in order to utilize one licenses for EFILive. Doesn't sound like a big deal for the obvious benefit :)

joecar
December 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
As Tordne said, from post #2:

It requires a little planning ahead and involves you letting them know what the serial number is in your PCM. Then they will pre-flash the two switchable flash banks with a binary image that has the same serial number as your PCM before shipping it to you.

Then you can tune them both with the same FlashScan license that you used on your PCM.

Regards
Paul

L31Sleeper
December 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Whomever has the chip flashing capability can cheat ??

doubledip
December 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Yes, but it is not always worth while... depending on circumstances it wont always be possible

Tre-Cool
January 18th, 2010, 05:06 AM
i think in reality it's just cost prohibitive to do it and in all likely hood it's going to leave you with a non working pcm if your soldering skills aint that good. (like mine) haha.

Now if it's a locked pcm, thats a whole different scenario and i reakon it's "fair game".

Ira
January 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I installed the dual flash setup on Kyle's ECM and weirdly enough it had different OSs on the 2 different sides. I burnt a license to test one side and it wouldn't let me flash the other because the OS was different. It's gone now and it didn't dawn on me to just try a full flash to check if the S/N was the same on both sides. It's not that hard to install if you're used to working on surface mount stuff. I intentionally destroyed the flash chip taking it off so there was no chance of hurting the board, but I heard later that the chip is worth saving if you can so maybe that was not the best idea.

Ira

doubledip
January 18th, 2010, 06:44 PM
if you have a decent enough hot air gun then the flash chip is easy to get off with out damaging board... its only when you start taking them on and off you start to run the risk of lifting a pad..

you also need to make sure when you order that you specify (remind) that you want the same serial number

Ira
January 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I have a decent enough hot air gun but not a lot of experience using it. It wasn't my ECM and I had no use for the chip after I took it off.

Ira

MICK
January 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I have a decent enough hot air gun but not a lot of experience using it. It wasn't my ECM and I had no use for the chip after I took it off.

Ira

Ira,

Check out the following link: http://www.zeph.com/video_demonstrations_smt_rework_smd_bga_desolderin g.htm

Watch the clips there worth while.

Cheers

Mick

mr.prick
January 19th, 2010, 11:59 AM
That's some nice equipment, expensive too. :eek:

joecar
January 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Very instructive videos...:cheers:

Tordne
January 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I was actually expecting that equipment to be more expensive that it was :). If you actually needed it for your work that is (definitely an expensive toy).

duramaximizer
January 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM
That's some nice equipment, expensive too. :eek:

X2

:shock:

macca_779
January 24th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I was actually expecting that equipment to be more expensive that it was :). If you actually needed it for your work that is (definitely an expensive toy).

Me thinks I have a new toy to acquire for the section at work.

Tre-Cool
January 25th, 2010, 01:26 AM
i just ordered myself some of this stuff http://www.chipquik.com/store/prod_smd2000.htm and an eprom programmer to do some chip removals/rewrites on mates locked pcm's.

L31Sleeper
January 26th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Tre-Cool where did you get the Eprom programer ??

also where is the serial # of the PCM you have.
is that what's in the LIC. box on EFI Live ??

Tre-Cool
January 27th, 2010, 04:53 AM
i got it locally (australia) from a company called darkwire.
http://www.darkwire.com.au/html/wellon_vp-480_programmer.html
along with the adapter to suit the type of memory chips the ls1 uses.

Hopefully the gear will turn up before this weekend. but im not holding my breath as the unsolder stuff was coming from the US.

L31Sleeper
January 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Is it possible to program the flash chip without removing it from the board ??

Tre-Cool
January 28th, 2010, 02:49 AM
maybe. i have a friend looking into this for me.

wink wink.

doubledip
January 28th, 2010, 02:52 AM
you can flash it without removing it but it is a headache and it is that easy to remove and flash off the pcm you may as well just do it that way

N0DIH
February 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM
This is how we do things at work. Hot Air is my friend... :) And solder paste and flux. You can do awesome jobs with it.

We just use heat guns and hot air pencils. They do fine. Depending on the PCB. Like the PCM's have 2oz or so copper, they NEED more heat, we have some beefier heat guns for that work, but for the lighter stuff we use smaller guns.

BGA's are a different animal, gotta be more careful especially with supporting the PCB, you can ruin a board in seconds if you don't support it right.

Ira,

Check out the following link: http://www.zeph.com/video_demonstrations_smt_rework_smd_bga_desolderin g.htm

Watch the clips there worth while.

Cheers

Mick

L31Sleeper
March 5th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Regards
Paul

Where do you find this number ?

ScarabEpic22
March 5th, 2010, 09:29 PM

Easiest way is to open up the Tune Tool and press the button that looks like a memory/flash chip (just to the right of the Full flash button). Select the controller and press "Get Info", should populate the tables with all the info you need! :grin:

Tre-Cool
March 9th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Above method is the easiest way to get your serial & vin, but if your working with a raw bin file from the chip and have allready done a byte-swap then with your favourite Hex editor Look around line 6000.