PDA

View Full Version : to cold to tune?

smslyguy
December 12th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Is there a temp at which it is just to cold to tune your engine? Or can you tune in any given temperature?

WeathermanShawn
December 18th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Technically it should make little to no difference..of course assuming you do most of your tuning at normal engine operating temperature.

If you stay in closed-loop, the first few minutes always see unusual' fuel trims anyway. That, and it may reveal how well some of your Idle Airflow Tables are modeled.

In general, I prefer not to tune when temperatures are below freezing or when they are over 100F. This is personal preference. When it is cold, oil life becomes reduced (have logged oil life pid) and personally my tires feel like bricks. Even driving normally, at temps below 40F..I have little to no traction. WOT I would be in the ditch!

At temperatures above 100F (and high DA's) I feel a performance loss and am more prone to pinging and/or detonation. Yes, the Spark IAT table adjusts timing to accommodate, but again personal preference.

Basically I use the same rules you might use if you are a runner or jogger. Perfect running weather is about 40-60F..works the same for my car. Try tuning around a constant ECT and IAT. That strategy has worked for me.

smslyguy
December 20th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the info weatherman, it was helpful.