PDA

View Full Version : hesitation over buttons and tabs

dbaxter_ss
January 9th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Using the 7.1.6 version ( and older ones ) not v6, when going over the a/b/c/d and tabs I am getting a hesitation of a good second, sometimes a little longer.
not sure if its caching something, going to try this with small samplings and see if its from having a large amount of data doing it.

dbaxter_ss
January 9th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Nope, little file also hesitated.

GMPX
January 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM
What CPU is your PC running?.
I have a 2.4GHz P4 and there is no delay at all.

Cheers,
Ross

Drake
January 9th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Nothing like that here, but I haven't made any large logs yet.

Running on 500 MHz BTW. 8)

Blacky
January 9th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Using the 7.1.6 version ( and older ones ) not v6, when going over the a/b/c/d and tabs I am getting a hesitation of a good second, sometimes a little longer.
not sure if its caching something, going to try this with small samplings and see if its from having a large amount of data doing it.

I have seen this hesitation that you are talking about only once before, on a HP Pavillion running Win2K.
Can you tell me the specifications of the machine you are using?

Thanks
Paul

dbaxter_ss
January 10th, 2005, 05:12 AM
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Model TECRA M1
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~1695 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 323.86 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.41 GB

Completely uninstalled both v6 and v7, and installed 7 again. ( no luck )
Disabled AntiVirus. ( no luck )

I can actually disable every service/application and have the bare minimum running and still get hesitation over the buttons and tabs.
This is with large 5000+ logs, and with the sample logs, sampling while connected to the car or just reading the logs offline.

I would swear it to me looks like its caching/reading the on mouse over - help bubbles.

wait4me
January 10th, 2005, 05:24 AM
you have a huge memory loss somewhere. look at your free ram.. there should be that much used, if only running the os and the program, it should only be around 250 meg used right?
how many threads "processes" are running??? maybe you have something on your computer that is not supposed to be running...

dbaxter_ss
January 10th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Figured it out.

Hopefully it helps someone else.
I changed the settings for visual effects to Adjust for Best Performance. Now EFI is screaming with ZERO hesitation.

Now the weird part is that I put it back to Adjust for Best Appearance, then back to "Let Windows choose whats best" and its still running fast.

Looks like something in the profile was hosered up.

If anything at least its fast again. Hopefully if anyone else runs into this, doing the same thing by changing this to Adjust for Best Performance, and then back again is worth a shot.

worked for me.

Steve Bryant
January 10th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Good find! I bet that this will end-up helping others. What was the Visual Effects setting prior to the Adjust for Best Performance change you made?

Steve

Blacky
January 10th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Figured it out.

Hopefully it helps someone else.
I changed the settings for visual effects to Adjust for Best Performance. Now EFI is screaming with ZERO hesitation.

Now the weird part is that I put it back to Adjust for Best Appearance, then back to "Let Windows choose whats best" and its still running fast.

Looks like something in the profile was hosered up.

If anything at least its fast again. Hopefully if anyone else runs into this, doing the same thing by changing this to Adjust for Best Performance, and then back again is worth a shot.

worked for me.

Good work !!!!!
I'll have to try that on the HP Pavillion that was showing the same problem, next time I have access to it.
Thanks
Paul

Black02SS
January 10th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Nice to see you got it figured out. All my suggestions to you on MSN weren't working.