PDA

View Full Version : P0087 Fuel pres to Low Anyone have this issue?

Boostin99SS
December 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM
07 LBZ 3500
Air Dog
Trans Go Jr
160hp tune on DSP 5

This issue arises at approx 60% throttle in 3rd thru 6th gear.
I have not had a chance to datalog it yet.

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and found a solution for it.

Thx

rcr1978
December 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Gelled fuel or dirty filter would be my first checks get some power service and add to the tank. You already have a lift pump so you should be problem free check to see if it even works

rodder55
December 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
i would say 99% chance fuel pressure release valve is going or gone either u gotta replace it or do the ppe shim kit. i had this problem with mine and replaced valve with new one no problems since

rhinomax07efi
January 14th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I used to have this issue. Open up your tune, then go to engine diagonstics, dtc enables. There is 2 p0087 codes in here. Change them to (Non Emissions, Mill Off). This should take care of this issue. Mine would always go into limp mode until I shut this code off. Just trying to help. Shiming up your fuel rail will help to. 07 LBZ crew cab classic with allison trans and other mods.

bballer182
January 15th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I'm having that issue right now but i'm 99% sure it's because im running too much biodiesel. Fuel filter is brand new and i would bet i need a shim kit anyways.

rhinomax07efi
January 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM
If your running a stock cp3 pump with new filters and you still have the p0087 code come up, shimming the rail may take care of this but highly doubt full. Shut this code off. Another thing you can do is open up your tune file, go to engine operation, injection amount, main injection, main injection limp mode, and change all the tables to 120 or greater for the limp mode. If you dont shut off the code p0087, it will still come up as a check engine light, but it will not de fuel at the factory preset of 2000/2200rpm if you change this table to 120 or greater. Tryin to help. I tried new filters and shiming up the rail on mine at first, but it still went into limp mode. This took care of it.

Biodiesel66
January 16th, 2010, 02:02 AM
You guys seeing this on OS 12606128 with DSP5 only?

bballer182
January 16th, 2010, 05:13 AM
im currently on 6698 (dsp5) OS i should go back to my stock one (6128) but i highly doubt it'll make a difference.

Biodiesel66
January 16th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I only saw the problem on the 6128. Changed to 6698 and a new ECM. Have not seen it reoccur.

bballer182
January 16th, 2010, 12:35 PM
well had the rig out today for some driving and low n behold... no more rail pressure problem. Just needed it (bio) to be thinned out a bit. (B25) or so... Still gunna shim the FPRV though.

0rion
June 1st, 2012, 08:52 AM
sorry for digging up an old thread but my buddy has been having this code for quite some time so I'm trying to help him with it. He has an 06 vin 2 and has been getting this code on the stock tune only while towing when it's hot out. I've yet to log it and see exactly what happens with his pressure when it sets the code. We replaced the fuel line by the tranny and tomorrow I'm going to bottle test his fprv. I want to see what his desired and actual pressures are and something I wanted to log and test is to turn limp mode off and let it set the code and see if the pressure dips and recovers immediately or if the pressure stays below desired. I'm just wondering how safe it would be to disable limp mode or turn this code off?
This code is so widespread and so often not fixed that it makes me wonder if people aren't entirely on the wrong track. I've read where cp3's, injectors, fprv's, and lines have been replaced along with adding lift pumps and they still get this code. Makes me wonder if this isn't an ecm issue or something. I read a thread where someone logged it and their desired pressure was 33k. My understanding is that the CP3 can only make 26K correct?

bballer182
June 1st, 2012, 12:01 PM
sorry for digging up an old thread but my buddy has been having this code for quite some time so I'm trying to help him with it. He has an 06 vin 2 and has been getting this code on the stock tune only while towing when it's hot out. I've yet to log it and see exactly what happens with his pressure when it sets the code. We replaced the fuel line by the tranny and tomorrow I'm going to bottle test his fprv. I want to see what his desired and actual pressures are and something I wanted to log and test is to turn limp mode off and let it set the code and see if the pressure dips and recovers immediately or if the pressure stays below desired. I'm just wondering how safe it would be to disable limp mode or turn this code off?
This code is so widespread and so often not fixed that it makes me wonder if people aren't entirely on the wrong track. I've read where cp3's, injectors, fprv's, and lines have been replaced along with adding lift pumps and they still get this code. Makes me wonder if this isn't an ecm issue or something. I read a thread where someone logged it and their desired pressure was 33k. My understanding is that the CP3 can only make 26K correct?

Yeah. I'm not sure what our stock pumps "can" do. But stock Max is 26k psi or 180Mpa. And since my last post in this thread I now have TTS dual lift pumps and I am running 100% Bio, and haven't seen the code since ...

0rion
March 10th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I'm going to bump this one more time because he's still having problems with it. He took the truck to a shop at one point and they replaced the cp3 and a couple of injectors. Issue went away for a short time but is now back and does it now whether he's towing or not and no matter what the temps are outside. Anything past about half throttle and it throws 0087 and limps. Did the bottle test and that was all good. Injector balance rates were within spec. Log shows desired pressure at ~25k and actual is 10-12k. All the rubber lines on the fuel lines have been replaced and a new fuel cooler put on.

garrettg.bpd
March 10th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I had the same thing happen to me on a truck I was tuning. The rail pressure would drop down less then 10k. I shimmed the FRPV and the code never came back.

bballer182
March 10th, 2014, 04:42 PM
There's always the possibility that a bad CP3 was installed. Or maybe just a bad regulator inside the CP3.

0rion
March 10th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I had the same thing happen to me on a truck I was tuning. The rail pressure would drop down less then 10k. I shimmed the FRPV and the code never came back.
did it pass the bottle test? His dumped zero fuel. I just don't see how that fprv can be the culprit if it's not releasing fuel.

There's always the possibility that a bad CP3 was installed. Or maybe just a bad regulator inside the CP3.
is there a way to test the cp3? Man.....I sure hope that isn't it. That's an expensive part to have a lemon out of the box.

LB72004
March 11th, 2014, 11:06 AM
did it pass the bottle test? His dumped zero fuel. I just don't see how that fprv can be the culprit if it's not releasing fuel.

this test needs to be done under pressure. with the DVT controls, command max pressure and see if it leaks

is there a way to test the cp3? Man.....I sure hope that isn't it. That's an expensive part to have a lemon out of the box.

same as above. command max pressure and see if it can do it or does it fall sort

0rion
March 11th, 2014, 01:08 PM
this test needs to be done under pressure. with the DVT controls, command max pressure and see if it leaks

same as above. command max pressure and see if it can do it or does it fall sort

I guess where I have trouble with the fprv is if the pressure dropped and it limped the truck wouldn't there have been fuel in the bottle? Where else would it go if the fprv was bad?

I'm starting to wonder if it's an injector issue. He looked up his work order from when he had the work done and that guy only replaced 1 injector so it would make sense to at least trouble shoot those to see if there's a problem. I have to read and figure out how to troubleshoot the injectors with the DVT controls. I saw I can control the rail pressure and each injector with the controls but I'm not sure what PIDS to log and what I'm looking for as far as a bad injector.

JoshH
March 11th, 2014, 04:35 PM
You can't troubleshoot a high return rate electronically. You have to do a return rate test by measuring how much fuel the injectors are returning.

0rion
March 14th, 2014, 04:25 PM
You can't troubleshoot a high return rate electronically. You have to do a return rate test by measuring how much fuel the injectors are returning.

do you know what the return rate is supposed to be? I've read conflicting amounts online. I think we're down to where we have to troubleshoot these. There's just not much else left to do. You test the return rate with hoses off the injector return lines into cups and then crank (but not start) the motor for 15 seconds correct? Then measure the returns from the injectors.

bballer182
March 21st, 2014, 02:13 AM
do you know what the return rate is supposed to be? I've read conflicting amounts online. I think we're down to where we have to troubleshoot these. There's just not much else left to do. You test the return rate with hoses off the injector return lines into cups and then crank (but not start) the motor for 15 seconds correct? Then measure the returns from the injectors.

Is the end result the same as testing the balance rates at low media and high pressures?

0rion
March 21st, 2014, 02:48 AM
just for the sake of perhaps helping someone else down the road I'll post up the info that I have on return testing. The dealerships wants $400-$500 to do this test....they quoted my buddy $100/hr with it being a 4-5 hour job.

Fuel Specific Gravity Testing

Use a J 38641-B Diesel Fuel Quality Tester to measure the fuel specific gravity (API Rating). Follow the instructions on the tool to obtain the proper temperature-adjusted value. This information must be accurate for the proper diagnosis of the fuel system.

Fuel Injector (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fuel+injector) Return Flow and Fuel Pressures

The fuel return from the fuel injectors to the tank will vary based on the API value of the fuel. Measure the Fuel API with the Diesel Fuel Quality Tester. For this reason the Fuel System Diagnosis – High Pressure Side values will vary for identifying a fuel injector (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fuel+injector) or fuel pump concern. Use the following tables when referred to by the diagnostic. The first table is to be used during the initial diagnosis to identify the worst fuel injectors. After the fuel injectors that fail the first part of the test are capped off, the return flow from each uncapped fuel injector (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fuel+injector) must be measured again, (not applicable to LLY). This is because the fuel system is returning less fuel to the tank, and thus the fuel pressure is higher during the retest. Failure to use the correct table may result in the replacement of good fuel injectors (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=6000&type=2&ext=390769041975&item=390769041975).

Initial Fuel Injector Return Flow Values

API Rating_ _ _ _ _ _ Maximum Single Fuel Injector Return Flow

30-34 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _3 ml

35-39 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _4 ml

40-44 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _5 ml

Retesting Fuel Injector (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fuel+injector) Return Flow Values

API Rating_ _ _ _ _ _ Maximum Single Fuel Injector Return Flow

30-34 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _4 ml

35-39 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _5 ml

40-44 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _5 ml

Fuel Injector (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fuel+injector) Return Flow Test

Note: Perform this test on both right and left bank of fuel injectors.
1. Remove the fuel return hose from the fuel injectors of one cylinder bank (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=6000&type=2&ext=181213351755&item=181213351755). Refer to Fuel Injection Fuel Return Pipe Replacement - Left Side or Fuel Injection Fuel Return Pipe Replacement - Right Side.
2. Clamp off the appropriate fuel return hose to prevent leakage.
3. Install the J 45873 and J-45873-30 on the bank of fuel injectors.
Note:
If the engine does not start, crank the engine in 15 second intervals, with 1 minute cooling time between intervals, until fuel starts to flow into all of the graduated cylinders.
The engine cranking speed must be more than 150 RPM during the cranking portion of this test.
4. Start or crank the engine until fuel starts to flow into all 4 graduated cylinders.
5. Elevate the 4 yellow hoses to retain the fuel in the hoses, and empty the 4 graduated cylinders into a suitable container and reinstall the hoses.
6. Crank or start the engine for 15 s
7. Measure the quantity of fuel in each of the graduated cylinders. Refer to Fuel System Specifications for the initial fuel injector return flow values.
=> If greater than the specified amount
Note: During replacement of the injectors, inspect the inlet and outlet fittings for corrosion or contamination.
7.1. Replace those fuel injectors that had high return flow and retest.
7.2. Repeat the return flow test and replace any additional injectors that measure greater than the specified amount. Refer to Fuel System Specifications for the retesting fuel injector return flow values.
=> If less than the specified amount
Refer to High Pressure Fuel Pump (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=6000&type=2&ext=130904292973&item=130904292973) Test.

Fuel Injector Return Flow Test — Enhanced

Important: Do not perform this testing unless the vehicle has the following symptoms.
DTC P0087 sets in memory
DTC P0087 only sets during high ambient temperatures and while the vehicle is under a heavy load
If the vehicle does not have the above symptoms, refer to Circuit/System Verification.
Engine must be at operating temperature 83–87°C (181–189°F) for proper diagnosis.
Perform this test on both the right and left bank of fuel injectors.
1. Engine at normal operating temperature, 83–87°C (181–189°F).
2. Remove the fuel return hose from the fuel injectors of one cylinder bank (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=6000&type=2&ext=181213351755&item=181213351755). Refer to Fuel Injection Fuel Return Pipe Replacement - Left Side or Fuel Injection Fuel Return Pipe Replacement - Right Side.
3. Clamp off the appropriate fuel return hose to prevent leakage.
4. Install the J 45873 and J-45873-30 on the bank of fuel injectors.
5. Place the 4 yellow hoses into a suitable container.
6.Engine running until fuel flows from all 4 yellow hoses.
7. Engine at idle, command the fuel rail pressure to 120 MPa (17,400 psi) with a scan tool.
Note: It may be necessary to exit command after each cylinder to ensure commanded state does not time out.
8. With the rail pressure commanded to 120 MPa (17,400 psi), place each of the 4 yellow hoses one at a time into the 4 graduated cylinders for 30 s each.
9. Ignition OFF.
10. Measure and record the fuel return volume in each of the graduated cylinders.
11. Repeat Steps 1–9 on the opposite bank of injectors.
12. Add together the recorded injector return flow volumes of all 8 fuel injectors to determine the total injector return flow volume.
13. Verify the total injector return flow volume is greater than 144 ml
=> If the total injector return flow volume is less than 144 ml
Refer to High Pressure Pump Test.
=> If the total injector return flow volume is 144 ml or greater
Replace any injector with an individual injector return flow volume of 18 ml or greater.

High Pressure Fuel Pump (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=6000&type=2&ext=130904292973&item=130904292973) Test

1. Attempt to start the engine.
=> Engine cranks but does not start
Replace the high pressure fuel injection pump
=> The engine starts and runs...continue to step 2
2. Engine at idle.
3. Command the fuel pressure control to 145 MPa (21,030 psi) with a scan tool.
4. Verify the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure is the same as the commanded fuel rail pressure.
=> If the engine does not start or the actual fuel rail pressure is less than 145 MPa (21,030 psi)
Replace the high pressure fuel injection pump (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=injection+pump).
=> The Actual Fuel Rail Pressure is 145 MPa (21,030 psi)...continue to step 5.
5. Engine speed above 1000 RPM.
6. Command the fuel pressure control to 180 MPa (26,106 psi) with a scan tool.
7. Verify the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure is the same as the commanded fuel rail pressure.
=> If the actual fuel rail pressure is less than 180 MPa (26,106 psi)
Replace the high pressure fuel injection pump.
=>The Actual Fuel Rail Pressure is 180 MPa (26,106 psi)...continue to step 8.
8. All OK

0rion
March 21st, 2014, 02:50 AM
we haven't really figured out what we're going to do yet....the test doesn't seem like something that's completely beyond me. I've just never done it and it seems pretty intimidating. I would love to swap my injectors into his truck to and find it that way but not sure how I feel about using $3k worth of my injectors for a trouble shooting project. :D

Jarrell
November 19th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Can I do this with just the EFI Live or do I need to buy the programmer license or flashscan?
Driving me crazy with this code and limp. About to sell it if I cant resolve.

Thanks
Jeff