PDA

View Full Version : BBR for old V6's

GMPX
January 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Elsewhere on the forum Joe had asked if we could release the old V6 PCM read code for BBR. It's funny, we had completed this back in 2007, but I guess other priorities always pushed it aside.

So in the zip is some files for those that want to read out some old V6 PCM's. It should cover all 3.1, 3.4 & 3.8L motors from about 1996 up.
Use the V6B option for 1996 - 2004(ish) and V6C from 2004(ish) up. The V6C PCM looks like an E40 whereas the V6B PCM looks like an LS1.

So, just create two new controller types in your options.txt file within Scan And Tune (see pic attached below). Please make sure the names match what I did.
Or if you want to manually edit the options.txt file enter in the text below:

V6B|1996+ V6, Y, V6B
V6C|2004+ V6, Y, V6C

Then you will also need to copy over to the V2 the 4 files in the attached zip and select the matching controller type within the V2 menu before reading.

Feel free to Email any files read out to support@efilive.com , who knows, maybe one day we will finally get the old V6's supported (for version 8).

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
January 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Ok, thanks...

ScarabEpic22
January 4th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hmmm...what uses the E37 and E39...

If only this had come out in 07 I could have got a read from my buddies Grand Am with the 3.4. Oh well

GMPX
January 5th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Hmmm...what uses the E37 and E39...Nothing special at this stage, but who knows for the future. We may never fully support them, but we like to be prepared.

ScarabEpic22
January 5th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Nothing special at this stage, but who knows for the future. We may never fully support them, but we like to be prepared.

Good to know, I actually dont even know what engines use them honestly...:doh2: Is one the Bosch controller for the DI 3.6L V6?

GMPX
January 5th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Is one the Bosch controller for the DI 3.6L V6?Not, it's going to replace that ECM, it's currently on the 3.0L DI V6 only.

mr.prick
January 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Does this make the vehicles with these controllers supported?

Tordne
January 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Does this make the vehicles with these controllers supported?

No, it is simply providing the potential to read the ECM calibration out to the new version 8 .ctd file format. For them to be "supported" would require all the calibration maps (.calz) to be done, and for all the controller integration in the software.

As you can see from Ross' first post there is no commitment at this time to add support for these, simply that some work was done a while ago to enable it. If people send their reads through at least we'll have some factory operating systems to look at later if desirable.

Tre-Cool
January 5th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Anyone got a picture of what the above Controllers look like?

GMPX
January 6th, 2010, 07:59 AM
From my original post "The V6C PCM looks like an E40 whereas the V6B PCM looks like an LS1"

MICK
January 6th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I like the look of this!

Any chance that this will support the IPCM6T PCM used in the VX and VY Holden V6 n/a.

If you can make an opening in EFILive for a .cax file I can take care of the rest.

Emulating the PLCC32 is not out of the question either, although the address lines to do so are a little tricky.

Wondering if the tooth fairy really does exist?

Mick

GMPX
January 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Sorry Mick, someone was already wanting us to time warp back to the mid 90's with another HC11 based PCM and I said it was not going to happen, for the VX V6 it gets worse, it's an Aussie only use PCM so pretty limited in the scheme of things.

I am surprised people haven't hassled TunerCat enough for him to put support for them in, they seem to do a lot of odd ball stuff from days gone by.

Cheers,
Ross

MICK
January 6th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks Ross, I thought as much being OBD1.

I'm building up to other options but I like your toys alot more.

Emulating will get me around the flashing for now.

Cheers

Mick

GMPX
January 6th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Did Kalmaker ever get the VX stuff off the ground?

MICK
January 7th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Yep, VX and VY support was added to the Workshop software over 10 months ago. I must give Ken credit as his detail in parameter support and code information is quite good. The Software is still based on 16 bit dos which is a bit of a turn off for me considering this day and age but back in those days it was the done thing. I see there is support for Flashing these model Holdens but the purchase structure is not really designed for the single user like me who just wants to fiddle with the Wifes car when she's not looking.

Cheers

Mick

joecar
January 7th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to get time on my Mrs' car too when she's unaware....

GMPX
January 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I see there is support for Flashing these model Holdens but the purchase structure is not really designed for the single user like me who just wants to fiddle with the Wifes car when she's not looking.I think he does it that way on purpose :shock:

joecar
January 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Ross,

Reminder: define the V6B and V6C calibration tables... :rockon:

do the 12217063 V6B file first (that I sent you) [please]...:)

GMPX
January 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM
It wouldn't be right to delete a moderators post would it :sly:

mr.prick
January 17th, 2010, 05:00 PM
It wouldn't be right to delete a moderators post would it :sly:

Maybe not but it would be fun. :hihi:

MICK
January 17th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Ross,

Reminder: define the V6B and V6C calibration tables... :rockon:

do the 12217063 V6B file first (that I sent you) [please]...:)

Looks like it is a race to see who can tamper with the wifes car first Joe!

Progress is being made with the flashing on the early model Holdens....:angel_innocent:

Mick

GMPX
January 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM
You know disabling the wife's car through tampering is on par with her finding out you've been busted in a motel room full of hookers (male ones!).

MICK
January 17th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Very true!! (LOL) After 15 years I have her well trained these days. It pays to have a couple spare wives, no I mean pcm's. I still think I should be able to get away with the S/C upgrade.

I remember quite a few years ago I had a V8 Torana with 150 shot. I had forgot to turn it off before heading up the coast. The lovely lady was driving and went to overtake some slower vehicles on the highway when she stuck her foot in it. I tell you the look on her face was priceless.

I don't think the repercussions would be as equal to that, so I think there is a margin for error on my behalf.

:hihi:

joecar
January 18th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Ross, you can delete my reminder if you want... :) ...do you want daily, weekly, monthly or yearly reminder updates...? :)

Mick, lol, I didn't know it was a race... these are some things she has to put up with:
- she inadvertently initiated the BCM-PCM security relearn, a 30 minute process (during which there is no-start),
- when hot, it sometimes doesn't start immediately (leading to the first item above),
- after finished running the A/C (defrosting the windscreen), the coolant fan runs on at high speed for a quite a long time,
- fan turn on temps are too high,
- A4 shift feel is factory poor,
- other stupid stuff...

I trained her how to avoid the first one, but when she's in a hurry she sometimes forgets.

lol... I would get a spare PCM before I ever tried flashing, but I do trust Ross's bootloader... :rockon:

She doesn't mind if I tamper with her car [during her beauty sleep]... :hihi: ...it just has to be ready by the time she's ready to go...!!!...if her car isn't ready, then she may take mine [...groan...]... :doh2:

I'm too busy at home (doing car stuff) to get caught in any embarrassing situations...

Chuck CoW
January 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hey Ross...

Does this mean I can eventually add some better content to my.....

"DISAPPOINTED! Can't tune my rental car!" Thread??????

That thread was sooo fun, but every car Corina rented was an E37 PCM!!!

What a drag!
Chuck CoW

GMPX
January 18th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Chuck, E37 reading is supported in the latest BBR release, there, that gives you some hope :)

ScarabEpic22
January 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Chuck, E37 reading is supported in the latest BBR release, there, that gives you some hope :)

Im not getting E37 or either of the V6 PCMs coming up in my BBx Read Tune area. Double click a blank area to add a new controller, neither of these are there. 05-08 V6s are in the BBL dialog box though.

I downloaded the .zip from the original post and unzipped them to proper subfolder in Program Data and still do not have the option to add them via S&T. I can add them manually and I assume the copy would work properly but I cant test them.

joecar
January 19th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Erik,

I had to manually edit Options.txt...

And, V6B/V6C do not show up in the BBR module select dropdown.

ScarabEpic22
January 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Thats what I thought, I know these are still in public beta but it might be good to include them in the next build (105?) with a drop-down menu so EFILive can get more reads as the end user doesnt have to do the leg work. I think I might start having more than just my P10 and E67/T42 combo on my V2 in case I happen to run into a friend with one so I can pull the tune.

GMPX
January 19th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Thats what I thought, I know these are still in public beta but it might be good to include them in the next build (105?)I thought they all were :confused:

ScarabEpic22
January 19th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I thought they all were :confused:

Not in mine, running build 104 right now.

GMPX
January 19th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Ooops, the process has started to rectify this problem.

ScarabEpic22
January 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Cool! Just getting more reads should help out for sure!

GMPX
January 19th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Cool! Just getting more reads should help out for sure!As far as Emails asking when will tuning for 'x' be added, yes it will :hihi:

ScarabEpic22
January 20th, 2010, 07:52 AM
As far as Emails asking when will tuning for 'x' be added, yes it will :hihi:

Side effect of trying to get reads to eventually define them right?

Ninety8C5
January 21st, 2010, 12:00 PM
Erik,

I had to manually edit Options.txt...

And, V6B/V6C do not show up in the BBR module select dropdown.

I added the last two lines to my 'EFILiveSystem.ini' file under the [Tune Modules] section in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\EFILive\V8" folder. They now appear in the drop down window.

[Tune Modules]
LS1A=PCM,"Gen III LS1 97-98 PCM"
LS1B=PCM,"Gen III LS1 99-10 PCM"
E38=ECM,"Gen IV V8, V6 E38 ECM"
E40=ECM,"Gen IV LS2 E40 ECM"
E67=ECM,"Gen IV V8, V6, L4 E67 ECM"
T42=TCM,"Transmission 4/5 spd T42 TCM"
T43=TCM,"Transmission 6 spd T43 TCM"
LB7=ECM,"LB7 Duramax Diesel ECM"
LLY=ECM,"LLY Duramax Diesel ECM"
LBZ=ECM,"LBZ Duramax Diesel ECM"
LMM=ECM,"LMM Duramax Diesel ECM"
AL5=TCM,"Allison 5 speed TCM"
;AL6=TCM,"Allison 6 speed TCM"
A50=TCM,"Allison 2009 6 speed TCM"
;P12=PCM,"Atlas Engine I4, I5, I6 PCM"
;L31=PCM,"Vortec 98-00 PCM"
P10=PCM,"Inline 6 PCM"
;P11=PCM,"97-05 4 Cylinder"
;P05=PCM,"05-08 V6 PCM"
CMNB=ECM,"Cummins CM849 ECM"
CMNC=ECM,"Cummins CM2100 ECM"
V6B=PCM,"1996+ V6 PCM"
V6C=PCM,"2004+ V6 PCM"

GMPX
January 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM
I just noticed this ";P05=PCM,"05-08 V6 PCM""
That is actually the same as V6C, so I'm not sure how that first one got in there.
Remove the P05 line, it won't be used.

Cheers,
Ross

swingtan
January 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys,

I attempted to laptop read a 3.2L PCM some time back but got a bunch of errors, I did get some info from the logs though....

J1blu
Isuzu 8973007482 DNZA

PCM32U 12216529 3.2L Auto AUS

Service Num: 12212079

Any chance that this would now work with these latest changes? the PCM was most likely a V6B as it looked just like an LS1.

Simon.

GMPX
January 21st, 2010, 02:10 PM
Wow, one of them!
That was a one off for that engine. It was like an LS1 PCM but it had a CAN controller chip in there as well. I did do a read bootloader for them too, but I can tell you there is no chance we will do tuning for them. It looks like the code was not written by GM's normal guys, it was weird as. Not exactly a big market either.

Cheers,
Ross

swingtan
January 21st, 2010, 03:11 PM
Ahh... typical. I had a look at this for a friend and it seems that there are a few Holden Jack-a-Roos that run it. It runs a similar cal to the early LKS1's from what I can tell ( read it's way under tuned and quite a slug ). Would have been good to give it a tweak.

Too bad, back to the E38.....

ScarabEpic22
April 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Update, I still have a P05.pmm file in my ProgramData\EFILive\V8\Config folder. I was under the impression all the P05.xxx files were going to be deleted in later releases, I dont see any other V6B or V6C *.pmm files however, is the P05.pmm used for them?

joecar
April 29th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Hi Ross,

You did say somewhere to remind you every so often... :hihi:

Ross,

Reminder: define the V6B and V6C calibration tables... :)

I had sent you the 12217063 V6B file from my Mrs's car.