PDA

View Full Version : 6 Speed Allison TCM's

Cougar281
January 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Are the LBZ & LMM A40 TCM's the same except for the programming, meaning if I program a calibration for a 2007 LMM into the TCM I have that's out of an 06 LBZ, would it work or could I expect problems?

rcr1978
January 12th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I would think you would have to full flash the os into it, we cant full flash the 6 speed yet. I have never tried it but I bet it wont even do a calibration flash since the os is different who knows?

Cougar281
January 12th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I would think you would have to full flash the os into it, we cant full flash the 6 speed yet. I have never tried it but I bet it wont even do a calibration flash since the os is different who knows?

Can with a Tech2 ;)

Sorry, should've mentioned that I was referring to changing the cal with that, not EFILive. :)

bballer182
January 13th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Didn't know there had been different cal's released for the light duty trucks. I know there are a few for the MD's.

I would say that if you have found a setup you like in another TCM i would FULL flash with the Tech II since we don't have those TCM's fully developed yet. And grabbing just the cal might not net you the results you are looking for.

Cougar281
January 13th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Didn't know there had been different cal's released for the light duty trucks. I know there are a few for the MD's.

I would say that if you have found a setup you like in another TCM i would FULL flash with the Tech II since we don't have those TCM's fully developed yet. And grabbing just the cal might not net you the results you are looking for.

What I am asking is if I flash an LMM A40 cal into my LBZ A40, will it work in the LMM or is there a difference in the hardware? Where the Tech2 is concerned, the "Cal" is the entire OS (at least all the flashes I've played with in the A40 where 2MB). The LMM cals are different form the LBZ's in that the LBZ's still use Class2 for some things, whereas the LMM's don't. The 8.1's have PWM torque management enabled whereas the Duramaxes use J1939 for Torque management... Then there are the below -40 cals and "normal" cals....

GMPX
January 13th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I think you should be fine to exchange LBZ & LMM OS's without harming the TCM, the hardware only changed for 2009 (as you know).

killerbee
February 14th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Are the LBZ & LMM A40 TCM's the same except for the programming, meaning if I program a calibration for a 2007 LMM into the TCM I have that's out of an 06 LBZ, would it work or could I expect problems?

What did you conclude Dave?

Cougar281
February 15th, 2011, 04:04 AM
What did you conclude Dave?

Yes, you can flash a LMM cal into a LBZ A40 and vise versa; All the A40 hardware is the same. I was also able to flash several MD cals into the same TCM wothout issue.

Boost
February 15th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I think you should be fine to exchange LBZ & LMM OS's without harming the TCM, the hardware only changed for 2009 (as you know).

What changed in the hardware for 2009?

killerbee
February 15th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Yes, you can flash a LMM cal into a LBZ A40 and vise versa; All the A40 hardware is the same. I was also able to flash several MD cals into the same TCM wothout issue.

I am confused (a perpetual state). LMM and LBZ have the same OS?? Didn'tthe LBZ A40 have an LBZ OS? With no full flash capability, hence my confusion.

Cougar281
February 15th, 2011, 07:59 AM
What changed in the hardware for 2009?

The A50's started appearing in the 09 trucks. There are also A46's out there that are apparently superceding the A40's part numbers now. Why they didn't just develop a CAL for the A50 & LBZ to reduce the number of part numbers, I have no clue.

I am confused (a perpetual state). LMM and LBZ have the same OS?? Didn'tthe LBZ A40 have an LBZ OS? With no full flash capability, hence my confusion.

Tech2 + TIS2Web or TIS2000 = full flash capability ;)

killerbee
February 15th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Trapped in my own paradigm, once again! Thanks Dave.