PDA

View Full Version : H3 hummer I 5 3.5

wpage
January 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Anyone done anything performance wise with the 06 GM H3 3.5 Hummer 4 speed auto?:cheers:

wpage
January 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Kind of discouraging to think there are none out there...

Chevy366
January 30th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Not much for the I5 , pretty limited , the P12 PCMs have a few things to tweak , but not a lot , a little motor and trans adjustments .

wpage
January 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Looks like HP Tuners may be a better bet for this. Thanks!

Chevy366
January 31st, 2010, 07:53 AM
Sadly , yes .
Tried for a long time to get the P12 stuff to evolve , but one can't sway the tide alone .
Have only seen the I5 stuff in HPT once and did not notice to much more tuning parameters than EFILive though .

ScarabEpic22
January 31st, 2010, 10:17 AM
Sadly , yes .
Tried for a long time to get the P12 stuff to evolve , but one can't sway the tide alone .
Have only seen the I5 stuff in HPT once and did not notice to much more tuning parameters than EFILive though .

Thats discouraging, I was (halfheartedly) looking at buying HPT to tune P12s. Hopefully Ill get everything together and work on a PCM swap for older TBs and then Ill need P12 support. Still not quite sure how to deal with the 4 or 5 VE tables the P12s have for the VVT...

dieselz28
February 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM
I have an 07 with the 3.7L. I'm got EFI Live mainly for my HD, but I plan on tuning the HUMMER as well. I'm still new to the whole thing right now but I will post things as I figure them out. I asked the same question on Duramaxforum.com and got talked to someone about a trailblazer they did. He said that he added about 50 more miles to a tank of fuel. Figure if I can do the same that will be about 3 more MPG.

dieselz28
February 5th, 2010, 05:17 AM
WOW I need to proof read.... Screaming babies and message threads don't mix!!!

Chevy366
February 5th, 2010, 07:58 AM
WOW I need to proof read.... Screaming babies and message threads don't mix!!!
Come on , you mean to say you can't multi-task ? :) :hihi:

joecar
February 5th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Or, teach your babies to read the forum threads and ask/answer questions on your behalf... :grin: ...and to tune your vehicles, and install mods while you supervise... :grin:

dieselz28 (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?u=10001) welcome to the forum...:cheers:

ScarabEpic22
February 5th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Dieselz28, pull the tune on your H3 and Ill give you some pointers. I havent tuned a P12 yet but I can at least give you a hand with the basic things like removing TM and firming the shifts up a little bit.

dieselz28
February 5th, 2010, 02:52 PM
O.K. sounds good. A good tune to wake that thing up would be great. That thing is a blast to drive. I have always liked the H3, but I didn't realize HOW MUCH fun it is until we got one! Tried talking the wife into swapping it in for an Alpha but shes not into it. Guess I'll have to do a Duramax swap when the 4.5L comes out!! I'll hook up to it this weekend and PM you.

wpage
February 5th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Let us know when the 4.5 is scheduled for release...

Is that part of the Hummer China sale?:secret:

Chevy366
February 6th, 2010, 06:27 AM
O.K. sounds good. A good tune to wake that thing up would be great. That thing is a blast to drive. I have always liked the H3, but I didn't realize HOW MUCH fun it is until we got one! Tried talking the wife into swapping it in for an Alpha but shes not into it. Guess I'll have to do a Duramax swap when the 4.5L comes out!! I'll hook up to it this weekend and PM you.
What is this about a Diesel version of the Isuzu :http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=5684(same 360 platform as TB)?
The Alpha is nice , almost had the wife talked into trading her TB for one , but she liked the TB to much .
I have a couple of P12 tune scripts for a 4.2L (not the same as the I5) , post up your tune lets us have a look at it .

dieselz28
February 6th, 2010, 03:40 PM
The 3.0L is the motor that Holden uses for their version of the Colorado. Just about every other country that sells a version of the Chevy Colorado has a diesel. The 4.5L is the Duramax LMK for the half ton trucks 310HP 520TQ. Its a pretty wild motor the exhaust and intake ports are reversed so the exhaust manifold is where the intake should be. Blowing straight up into the turbo. It was designed to fit between the struts of the new GM frame. Its the same size as the LS V8's. So anything a SB will fit in, it will fit in it as well. HHMMM!

dieselz28
February 6th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Here is GM's line up and 4.5L photos. The 2.9L is gonna be in a Caddy first.

ScarabEpic22
February 7th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Too bad the 4.5L is put on "indefinite hold" according to GM...man Id love to drop one of those into my TB and have one bada$$ midsize SUV. The reverse flow heads contribute to its outstanding power output, Ford is using the same principle along with a CG iron block for their new in-house designed and built PowerStroke due out in the 2011 MY.

Chevy366
February 7th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Too bad the 4.5L is put on "indefinite hold" according to GM...
Do what ? , GM and it's infinite wisdom astounds me sometimes (like killing the 360 platform).
That 4.5L sounds like a awesome power plant , but as with anything never get the first generation of that product , wait for the guinea pigs to work out the kinks . :grin:
But it still would be interesting to see a TB or Colorado/Canyon with one in it .

wpage
February 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM
With the luck GM has had with prior diesel engines. No wonder they will enter cautiously to new models.

GMPX
February 7th, 2010, 11:20 AM
You guys know that GM has a nice range of smaller (sub 3.0L) Diesel engines available everywhere except the USA?
Dmax V6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMAX_V6_engine) plus some other 2.0L 4cyl stuff.
The 4.5L is going to be an after market gold mine for GM if it ever arrives, I bet they would sell 1,000's and 1,000's of those as a create motor for conversions.

dieselz28
February 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah. I'd be in line to buy 2. One for the H3 one for the Camaro. I saw on Holdens website where you guy can get a version of the Chevy Equinox with a diesel too. The new ones hear are selling like crazy. I think they are even selling faster than the Camaro right now. The fuel milage on them is really great but its got to be awsome with a diesel.

GMPX
February 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM
For a daily commuter the 4 cyl Diesels are great, they make the same torque as a 3.5L V6, but everywhere in the rev range, which in traffic makes them feel really strong.
The funny part is in a 0 - 60 time they are slow, but like 40 - 60 they will leave a V6 gasser for dead.

Cheers,
Ross

wpage
February 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Sounds good, got a diesel in the program for us?

Chevy366
February 12th, 2010, 08:47 AM
You guys know that GM has a nice range of smaller (sub 3.0L) Diesel engines available everywhere except the USA?
Dmax V6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMAX_V6_engine) plus some other 2.0L 4cyl stuff.
The 4.5L is going to be an after market gold mine for GM if it ever arrives, I bet they would sell 1,000's and 1,000's of those as a create motor for conversions.

Yeah , no need to rub it in , US is always left behind when it comes to diesel powered stuff . :gossip:
Diesels make so much better power for less money over a gasser . :doh2:

ScarabEpic22
February 12th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah , no need to rub it in , US is always left behind when it comes to diesel powered stuff . :gossip:
Diesels make so much better power for less money over a gasser . :doh2:

I know, now if GM would stop charging a huge premium for the Dmax life would be great. :doh2:

dieselz28
February 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Everyone of the big three HAS a diesel ready for their half ton line up. They are just waiting to see who goes first and how well it does. What GM needs to do IS make the motor available to the entire line up. Form WT to LTZ unlike the vortec MAX that you could only get in a 4wd CC or EC with the LT2 or LTZ packages. I paid less for my Dmax. A 2wd or 4wd WT with a small diesel and a good 6spd auto would be a great fleet truck. Hell a 2wd that was tuned right would probably get upwards of 28 to 30 mpg hwy.

Chevy366
February 13th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Everyone of the big three HAS a diesel ready for their half ton line up. They are just waiting to see who goes first and how well it does. What GM needs to do IS make the motor available to the entire line up. Form WT to LTZ unlike the vortec MAX that you could only get in a 4wd CC or EC with the LT2 or LTZ packages. I paid less for my Dmax. A 2wd or 4wd WT with a small diesel and a good 6spd auto would be a great fleet truck. Hell a 2wd that was tuned right would probably get upwards of 28 to 30 mpg hwy.

I agree , I saw the Ford 1/2 ton pickup with a diesel in it a few years ago , nice (for a Ford that is) .
Was amazed they canned it and never produced it or at least held off on it .

wpage
April 25th, 2010, 11:37 PM
GM a day late and a dollar short...
Diesels or even other alternates like hydrogen, natural gas, etc...