PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light/No code?

Brad-06-Dmax
January 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Occasionally I get a check engine light. When I use the EFI Live V2 scanner to check the code I get nothing. I can clear the code and clear any problems but would like to know what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated. The check engine light usually comes on when I'm out and about. I don't haul my laptop around everywhere so I hope I don't have to have it hooked up to check the code. I don't need it to clear the code. The other day I started out and felt the truck stagger and the check engine light came on. When it did I lost power above 1/4 throttle. I had to pull over and attempt to check the code. No luck but I was able to clear the code and the truck ran fine after that. I am wondering if their is a problem with my V2. It has never been able to read a code.

ChipsByAl
January 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Disconnect something critical like the MAF sensor and allow it to set a code. It will run rough if at all and you should be able to see a code.
Al

Blacky
January 12th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Try checking for codes just using the V2 itself, not through the laptop.
Also make sure you are using firmware V2.06.22, available as port of the V8 software here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12760

Regards
Paul

Brad-06-Dmax
January 13th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Also make sure you are using firmware V2.06.22, available as port of the V8 software here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12760

Regards
Paul
I am checking through the V2 only. I will check the firmware. Thanks

Brad-06-Dmax
January 13th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Nope no code! It's not reading the codes. I think I need the firmware update. That will be my next check. It's bothering me.

Disconnect something critical like the MAF sensor and allow it to set a code. It will run rough if at all and you should be able to see a code.
Al

Blacky
January 13th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Nope no code! It's not reading the codes. I think I need the firmware update. That will be my next check. It's bothering me.

If, after updating the firmware it still fails, please save a trace file after the failed attempt.
You can do that by selecting the FlashSCan options: F2->F3->F1.
Use EFILive Explorer to copy the trace file from FlashScan to your PC and email it to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

Brad-06-Dmax
January 14th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Where is the EFILive Explorer software? I don't have it in my programs. I'm confused. What firmware tab??

".......... it will detect the new firmware and prompt you to update. If not, you can manually update the firmware via the [Firmware] tab page in the EFILive Explorer software........"

Brad-06-Dmax
January 14th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Nevermind. I see I need to upgrade everything.

Brad-06-Dmax
January 14th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Okay I think I got it updated. It shouldn't be hard to update everything. I had to go through several post before I just figured out what I needed to do. I think an update should erase anything not needed automatically and install the latest update. I had to un-install V.5 then reinstall the latest version. I then started picking up ready updates. Now I'll pull an intentional code and check it. I bet this will fix it!

Brad-06-Dmax
January 14th, 2010, 05:25 AM
YES! That fixed it. Thanks for the help. Guess I'll accept all the updates from now on.