PDA

View Full Version : Changing VIN

derekf
November 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
Searched the forum and the help file but didn't find anything that really said one way or the other.

I see that Flashscan can update the VIN in the PCM, but how critical is the correct VIN to the PCM functionality - specifically, can it be changed to that of an older car that never came with LS1s? (like, say, a 60s GM VIN)

If the GM code doesn't permit such a thing, what about the custom OS with the Commercial version?

PSWired
November 2nd, 2005, 05:58 PM
I was able to change my VIN to that of my 1995 K1500 pickup. Not sure of the differences in the VIN format over the years, however.

derekf
November 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks - big concern is that the VIN format changed along the way; my vin is only 13 characters (6 digits, a letter, then 6 more digits) so I imagine I'd need to zero-fill the other four locations (either before or after the VIN).

Do either the stock GM OS or the Commercial-level EFILive OS require a certain range in the VIN? I gathered that the VIN is used to determine feature level - if I was to use my actual VIN the first four digits would either be 0000 or 1368 (depending on where I put the filler-zeros).

It's not a big deal if I can't, but it'd make me feel happier if I could.

GMPX
November 7th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Generally the VIN is used by scan tools or say TechII and SPS to determine an initial check as to what you are connecting to.
You can have 'anything' in there if you wish, the PCM does not care.
For 'correctness' I would try to stick with the GM's later VIN format, but then again, some cars came from the factory without a VIN in the PCM (Holden GTS, CTS-V).

Cheers,
Ross

derekf
November 10th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Thanks, Ross. I was hoping that was going to be the answer.

TAQuickness
November 11th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Derek - This might help you to convert your old vin into the new format.

http://www.nastyz28.com/decode.html

If that's doesn't help, try googling GM VIN or Chevy VIN