PDA

View Full Version : V2 resets clock... Any one else???

1FastBrick
January 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Every time I plug the V2 into the OBD2 port it resets the Factory clock to 1:00. So Far I have Noticed It does not matter if it is conected to the computer or not Prior to pluging it into the OBD2 Port. It also does not matter if the Key Is in the ON OFF or in ACC mode. I have the latest EFILive software and firmware installed.

Truck Is a Stock 2000 Silverado 1500 ECSB 5.3L Auto. No aftermarket electronics.

PCM information

Calibration ID: 9379551
Serial Number: 1DG0XKWA0034
Operating System: 09381344
Engine Calibration: 9357700
Engine Diagnostics: 9358089
Transmission Calibration: 9358175
Transmission Diagnostics: 16253330
Fuel System: 16264538
System: 16264575
Speedometer: 16264824
Operating System BCC: CYCB

I have emailed Tech support and there stumped :help2:

DrkPhx
January 14th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Must be a bug. You should be able to set the V2 time when connected to a computer and it should hold that time until you reset it again. I wish it was self-sustaining so it could keep real time. Maybe Joecar will jump in and help.

Tordne
January 14th, 2010, 07:22 AM
He's meaning the actual accessory clock in the car (not on the V2):nixweiss:

DrkPhx
January 14th, 2010, 07:31 AM
He's meaning the actual accessory clock in the car (not on the V2):nixweiss:

I see. That's even more odd. Disregard my comments.

Tordne
January 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Yeah it is really weird for sure. That's why I suggested he posted on here as well. I've never seen/heard anything like it. There is an updated OS for his vehicle which I've suggested he try and get.

1FastBrick: Incidentally did you try the PCM recovery etc process that we suggested at all?

pullincrazy88
January 14th, 2010, 10:47 AM
mine has been doin the same thing also since I updated to the 411 pcm and I am running a custom os. I believe mine is only when i re-load the tune though if I remeber right.

gpr
January 14th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I have the exact same problem on a 2002 chevy truck. the radio clock is reset every time i plug the v2 in.

1FastBrick
January 14th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah it is really weird for sure. That's why I suggested he posted on here as well. I've never seen/heard anything like it. There is an updated OS for his vehicle which I've suggested he try and get.

1FastBrick: Incidentally did you try the PCM recovery etc process that we suggested at all?

No, I have not. I Have a freind of a freind getting me in On Saturday at a dealer to get the latest Factory calibration Programed to my vehical.

Since I am new to the EFILive software I don't want to try reprograming the ECM with out some one with more experince suppervising. Also as always since I have no way to verify other peoples calibrations, I want to make sure I get the correct callibration.

Unfortunitally I drive this Vehical evereyday. So If I make a mistake or something does not load properly I could Be in a world of hurt. Haveing the dealer program the new GM factory OS Insures at least that part of it will be correct. I May Take a spare ECM and have them do that one too so i have a back up.

Tordne, do you think It may be possible that the Original OS has some thing to do with both issues I am haveing???

1FastBrick
January 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
mine has been doin the same thing also since I updated to the 411 pcm and I am running a custom os. I believe mine is only when i re-load the tune though if I remeber right.

I have the exact same problem on a 2002 chevy truck. the radio clock is reset every time i plug the v2 in.

Could you Guys possibly post some more details so that Tordne could see if there is a link causeing this error???

As far as I have been told I am the only one who has actually reported this problem. Tech Support and Product Development have not yet seen this problem. So If possible I would be appericated if you could post some details about the OS your runing and the type of vehical.

Thanks!

Tordne
January 14th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I am certain that the oil life issue is related to the OS you're running. I have full flashed a Corvette calibration with the same OS and it has the same symptom (oil life not being changed). Other OS's work fine. Perhaps that functionality wasn't introduced until the 2001+ OS series.

1FastBrick
January 14th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Is it possible that the old OS has something to do with the Clock issue to??? I know in the older PCM's like 97-98 there was an issue with programing.

Tordne
January 14th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Well I can't categorically it is impossible. The clock would not be controllers by the PCM though, most likely the BCM (if by a external controller at all).

joecar
January 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
It seems like the clock loses power momentarily...

Trace the power/ground connections for the clock aback to see what other circuits they are connected to...

Check those wires/connections to see that they are good/tight with no corrosion...

When you plug V2 into the OBD port, some ground circuit is either completing or shifting it's ground potential, causing the clock (and other things) to reset.

DrkPhx
January 15th, 2010, 03:05 AM
It seems like the clock loses power momentarily...

Momentary is the key word. Most of the GM radios have two power sources; one 12v for audio connections to ignition and the other a 12v hot connection for the radio clock and presets. when I disconnect the battery on my TA for a short time; the radio clock resets, but the station presets are still there when reconnected. A newer vehicle may be different, but I can't imagine.

A few questions to the O/P:
* Are the radio station presets lost when this happens?
* Have you witnessed the actual radio clock time change during the flash process? If so, what does the Flashscan status display read when it happens?
Maybe that can help pinpoint the cause.

ForcedTQ
January 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM
1FastBrick, I had this occur last night when reading a tune file. The clock on the radio rest itself to 1:00, and that's not the first time this has happened. Very curious as to what this could be caused from. :shock:

gpr
January 18th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Like i stated before i have had this happen virtually every time i have tuned an 02 chevy 5.3L pickup, but not on anything else i have tuned. I was doing more tuning this weekend and paid attention to when the clock reset itself. it only resets the time when i initially plug in the v2. It doesn't matter if i am tuning with a laptop or plugging it in to clear DTC with no laptop plugged into the v2. As soon as i plugged in the v2 it would reset the clock. I could leave it plugged in and do anything i wanted and it never reset again, until I re-plugged in the v2.

SwedeBurb
January 18th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Every time I plug the V2 into the OBD2 port it resets the Factory clock to 1:00.
Truck Is a Stock 2000 Silverado 1500 ECSB 5.3L Auto. No aftermarket electronics.

That happens on mine to... 2001 Chevy K1500 Silverado LT ECSB 5.3L Auto.

/Stefan

Blacky
January 18th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Just a theory, but can anyone having this issue please try this...

When you plug in the V2, it makes a difference in the sequence the cable ends are connected:

1. Connect the cable into FlashScan first.
2. Optionally connect FlashSCan via the USB cable to the PC.
3. Connect the OBDII connector into the vehicle last.

The OBDII connector has longer ground pins and will earth the V2 before any power is available to the V2, that prevents stupid stuff (i.e. short circuits) happening on the OBDII bus.

If you plug the OBDII cable to the vehicle first, then plug the RJ45 into FlashScan there's no guarantee that the earth/power pins connect in the correct order.

Regards
Paul

kbracing96
January 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
Mine does it too, not every time, but more times then not. Never really though to much about it. I'm pretty sure my V1 did it too. I just reset the clock when I'm done. It doesn't reset the radio station presets, but neither does unhooking the battery. I think they must be stored in a memory that's not affected by power. Must be a 99-02 truck thing.

ForcedTQ
January 21st, 2010, 05:49 PM
Just a theory, but can anyone having this issue please try this...

When you plug in the V2, it makes a difference in the sequence the cable ends are connected:

1. Connect the cable into FlashScan first.
2. Optionally connect FlashSCan via the USB cable to the PC.
3. Connect the OBDII connector into the vehicle last.

The OBDII connector has longer ground pins and will earth the V2 before any power is available to the V2, that prevents stupid stuff (i.e. short circuits) happening on the OBDII bus.

If you plug the OBDII cable to the vehicle first, then plug the RJ45 into FlashScan there's no guarantee that the earth/power pins connect in the correct order.

Regards
Paul

I'm going to go with Paul on this one, as this seems to be the most logical answer. Hey, his company designed the unit! I'm going to check on the theory tonight and report back.:grin:

1FastBrick
January 23rd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Sorry I Haven't been around latey. I had the OS updated Last night night with the latest updates through GM. The new OS is 12205612.

As far as the radio goes as long as I,
First turn the key to the on position, then conect the obd2 cable to the obd2 port, then the obd2 cable to the v2, then the laptop cable to the v2, and then to the laptop cable to the usb port it connects with out reseting the clock...

With the key off, Following the same procedure, it flashed the clock back... also connecting the cables any other way flashed the clock back... Weired...

Unfortunitly I still can't reset the Oil Life though :frown: have to see what andrew says about that...

Tordne
January 23rd, 2010, 06:15 PM
I have just tried doing an oil reset after full flashing a 12205612 OS into a PCM here and it doesn't work either. I'm almost willing to bet that this is not an implemented capability on this particular OS series (for your vehicle).

I'll Ross if he knows any more detail...

Can I ask why you are wanting to do this anyway?

GMPX
January 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM
The oil life was not implemented in all platforms, I haven't caught what vehicle you have there?

Sparky8370
January 24th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I have had the same thing happen on my truck. Although I am opposite of one of the other guys who responded "More often than not". Usually it does not effect my clock, but it has a few times.

1FastBrick
January 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I have just tried doing an oil reset after full flashing a 12205612 OS into a PCM here and it doesn't work either. I'm almost willing to bet that this is not an implemented capability on this particular OS series (for your vehicle).

I'll Ross if he knows any more detail...

Can I ask why you are wanting to do this anyway?

Just getting familiar with the tool. Thought it was a cool feature!

I thought This was the reason you wanted me to update the OS on my truck.

1FastBrick
January 24th, 2010, 06:28 PM
The oil life was not implemented in all platforms, I haven't caught what vehicle you have there?

2000 Chevy Silverado. ECSB 5.3L AUTO

Tordne
January 24th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I was hoping that the new OS might have supported that functionality. I'm surprised that the dealer had not updated the OS as part of regular servicing to be honest.

As Ross indicated it must just not be something that is present in the OS's for your vehicle.

1FastBrick
January 24th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I was hoping that the new OS might have supported that functionality. I'm surprised that the dealer had not updated the OS as part of regular servicing to be honest.

As Ross indicated it must just not be something that is present in the OS's for your vehicle.

I never go to the Stealership.

They usually don't do updates out here unless your having some sort of specific problem.

I used to be able to reset it with the Tech 2 on the older version of the software. After I had the software on the tech 2 updated it doesnt seem to have that function any more.

So is this something thats just not implemented in the software for the V2 scan tool for my particular vehical???