PDA

View Full Version : Installing new ECM - What to expect??

juscruzn
January 14th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Hello All,

I have a new ECM arriving in the next few days. Lets "assume" it is flashed with my stock OS (15228758) and programed with my VIN correctly (by vendor).

Do I simply follow proper ECM removal/install procedures or are there RELEARN procedures I must do?

Thanks everyone!

GMPX
January 14th, 2010, 11:38 AM
You will probably need to do a theft relearn. I don't recall the exact proceedure but it's something like leaving the key on for 10mins, three times over and it's done.

Cheers,
Ross

juscruzn
January 14th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks, Ross. Yes, from what I've researched so far a VATS relearn is a minimum. Does anyone know if a CKP relearn is needed for an LLY (or diesel for that matter.)?

killerbee
January 17th, 2010, 03:04 AM
This didn't come from me, did it? I include detailed color installation guide with each custom program ECM. People should not have to ask "what do I do with this" after spending a fair amount of $.

juscruzn
January 19th, 2010, 05:01 AM
thanks for your concern, Killerbee, and no, it was not from you. I was getting ahead of myself in anticipation of receiving the unit. Yes it did come with very detailed instructions but I wanted to get more information from all that have gone down this road before.

What I did find that no one has mentioned was the VAT-relink feature in the Tune Tool. Am I missing something? Does this do the same thing the VATS RELEARN procedure accomplishes or is it better to perform the typical VATS RELEARN process?

Cougar281
January 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM
The VAT relink in EFILive will work just fine; the try to start and wait 10 minutes three times is for if you don't have a tech 2 (or in this case EFILive) to preform the relearn.

juscruzn
January 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM
The VAT relink in EFILive will work just fine; the try to start and wait 10 minutes three times is for if you don't have a tech 2 (or in this case EFILive) to preform the relearn.

Thanks for the input Cougar!! :doh2: Silly me, I assumed EVERYONE has a FS V2. This thing is so cool to tinker with... That makes sense that you can do it "manually" or with a tool (Tech 2, EFILive, etc.)

juscruzn
February 1st, 2010, 09:46 AM
For the curious and fellow NOOB's...

I finally got a chance to install my spare ECM. All went as planned. Here's what I did.

Swap out ECM's:
1. Disconnected BOTH batteries.
2. Removed plastic cover from box that housed the ECM.
3. Disconnected 3 connectors from ECM: Blue, black, grey.
4. Reverse above for installation of new ECM.

VATS RELEARN:
1. Crank engine - It may or may not start. (Mine did not start.)
2. Leave key in ON position - not accessory. (Security light will turn on.)
3. Wait 10 minutes for SECURITY light to turn off. (My light turned off in 7 - 8 minutes in which time I went to step 4.)
4. Turn key OFF for 30 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1, 2, 3, and 4 two more times for a total of three times.

My truck started after three sequences of CRANK-wait-CRANK.

Thank you everyone for your help! :cheers: