PDA

View Full Version : BBL SD Card Error Work Around

swingtan
January 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Hi All,

Checking the forum and from my own experience, there seems to be a bit of trouble at times with SD cards being accessed when in the V2. I've done a bit of testing and think I have a workaround for the issue.

Description

When inserting an SD card into the V2, the indicator shows the memory type changing from "IM" (Internal flash Memory) to "SD" (Secure Digital memory). this leads you to believe that the V2 has correctly identified and initalised the SD card reader and is ready to use it for storing data.

As soon as you attempt any write action to the SD card, you get one of the following errors...

Error: $0183: Invalid Folder.
Error: $0185: File or Folder not found.

I can get the $0185 error simply by doing the following....

V2 is connected to vehicle and has just been used to save a BBL file to the SD card.
Remove the SD card from the V2.
Insert the SD card into the V2.
Wait 5-10 seconds.
Press the V2 "Power" button to start a new log.
The V2 displays "Creating Log File"
The V2 then displays "Error: $0185 File or Folder not found."

Subsequent attempts to start a BBL log file are met with the same error and the SD card works fine in any card reader.

The Work Around

I have tried many, many different ways to get the SD card to be more reliable. At one time I found that using a very small sized SD card ( 32Mb ) was nearly always successful, but using my 2GB card resulted in a very low success rate. I did notice though, that once you got the card to start working, it was 100% successful at storing data until the next time it was removed from the V2.

This led me to believe that there was something funny occurring in the initial access and setup of the SD card in the V2. So I figured there must be some way to "force" a "re-check" of the SD card parameters. So I tried checking the SD card statistics via the V2 menu. From the home menu, pressing

[F4]-[F2]-[F1]

will display the SD card parameters, and it appears that it checks these at the time of the request. Once this operation has been done, I had 100% success with accessing the SD card in the V2.

The Reason???

While I can't be certain, I think there is a timing issue in the V2 that causes a misread of the SD card parameters when the card is first inserted. Once this has happened, the V2 cannot correctly access the SD card, as the parameters it is using are incorrect for the card. I'm guessing it's a little like getting the Heads/Cylinders/Sectors parameters wrong when setting up a HDD ( older PC users may remember having to do this step.... ). While the overall size of the drive might be correct, you couldn't read any data unless these settings were matched to what was on the drive.

Rechecking the SD card parameters via [F4]-[F2]-[F1], allows the V2 to "re-discover" the correct SD card parameters and it now sees the correct directory structure on the SD card.

Simon.

gmh308
January 14th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Cool bananas. Have to give that a shot and see if i get the same results.

Have a good weekend! :cheers:

mr.prick
January 15th, 2010, 02:18 AM
When was the last time you formatted the SD card?

joecar
January 15th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Good error report...:cheers:

swingtan
January 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM
mr.prick: The card was formatted in the V2 a few days ago, as part of the latest update. As mentioned, it will nearly always fail after the initial insertion, but will always work after the SD parameter check.

ScarabEpic22
January 15th, 2010, 11:54 AM
mr.prick: The card was formatted in the V2 a few days ago, as part of the latest update. As mentioned, it will nearly always fail after the initial insertion, but will always work after the SD parameter check.

Good to know, Ill make sure I do this every time I reinsert the SD card.

Wonder if we can bug the higher-ups to implement this key press when a SD card is inserted.

swingtan
January 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I would say it already does this automatically, but I think with the bigger sized SD cards, there may be a timing issue where the card is probed too soon? Maybe if the SD card probe was delayed by 500mS it would work better.

ScarabEpic22
January 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Good idea, might make it more stable for all card. Ive had this issue with a 128mb card, havent tried anything bigger as I dont need to and have a 16mb and a 128mb card laying around.

Abdulla
July 11th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hi All, I faced the very same problem today (First use of V2). I did read all the threads about this error ($0183) and tried all the recommendations here and there but no luck

However, I tried to format the SD card from my PC (XP) then inserted the SD into V2. Tried again using EFILIVE L Explorer and it worked and the error is gone. Now I can copy and paste option.txt & .pmm files using EFILIVE Explorer to V2

Didn't log anything yet as I was trying to find a solution for this error. I will try to keep you updated.

Thanks

Abdulla
July 11th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Scan tool -> select PIDs
Here is screen shot (attached) after copying option.txt, *.pmm & *.dtc files to V2

I hope I won't get more errors while trying to log from the vehicle :throw:

joecar
July 11th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Abdulla,

which V8 software build version are you using...?
which V2 firmware version...?

See here: July 5th prerelease (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13991-July-05-2010-Pre-release).

Abdulla
July 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
- EFILIVE Explorer 8.1.2 build 105
- Firmware version 2.06.35
- Bootblock version 2.06.03

After formatting the SD from PC it worked fine and could get files transfered to V2 SD and could log some data from the vehicle.

However- after my 1st succesful logging- I gave it a second try to get the SD formatted by V2. and this time it worked fine unlike the first time when I installed the SD card, and I tried to log.. no problems.

It seems there is something wrong with V2 getting SD working properly first time. (@least in my case)

mr.prick
July 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Should the SD card file system be FAT or FAT32?

Abdulla
July 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I used FAT32

swingtan
July 11th, 2010, 01:00 PM
FAT32 should be fine.

Just rememeber to "recheck" the card status when the card is first inserted into the V2 as described in the first post. It seems to work fine after that. Also remember that if you format in a PC, you need to create the following directories on the SD card....

\EFILive
\EFILive\Scan
\EFILive\Tune

Without these you will have problems.

One more point, the copying of the config files should have nothing to do with the SD card. All the config files go an an internal memory chip that is separate from the normal user mass storage.

mr.prick
July 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM
This worked.
I can finally get a log on the SD card.

Tordne
July 11th, 2010, 05:10 PM
And also create \EFILive\Tune\Read

mr.prick
July 11th, 2010, 05:49 PM
The V2 does this when formatting the SD card.

Tordne
July 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah I know ;)

Was just an "in addition" post to #15.

MyM8V8
July 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I'm not very IT literate, but is this anything to do with the different speeds that cards are available in? Do we need to buy the fastest ones like they have for digital cameras.

I remember some time ago having issues with card speeds on a compressor sequencing controller. We had to get quicker ones ro we had problems.