PDA

View Full Version : Spam? Phishing? Trojan?

eboggs_jkvl
January 19th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I received an e-mail today notifying me on a PM:
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL! *************************** Dear eboggs_jkvl, You have received a new private message at EFILive Forum from ***, entitled "Important message from the forum administration!". To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here: http://forum.efilive.com/private.php This is the message that was sent: *************** Dear, z_28_0117;eboggs_jkvl;thespirit;87gmc;98redformula ! A virus alert was noticed on your computer. We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: *** ---------------------------------------------------- Sincerely, Forum Administration forum.efilive.com. *************** Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message: http://forum.efilive.com/private.php All the best, EFILive Forum What the hell is this? I have that message in my PM inbox. Elmer

dissonance
January 19th, 2010, 04:25 AM
same here

Ninety8C5
January 19th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Ditto!

Chevy366
January 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I didn't get one , I want one . :grin:

swingtan
January 19th, 2010, 09:17 AM
From the "whois" data....

Here's what we know about effectmeds.com:
- soooft@mail.ru is a contact on the whois record of 3 domains
- 1 registrar has maintained records for this domain since 2008-12-15
- This domain has changed name servers 6 times over 2 years.
- Hosted on 6 IP addresses over 2 years.
- View 18 ownership records archived since 2008-12-16 .
- Wiki article on Effectmeds.com
- 302 other web sites are hosted on this server.

So I'd say at the very least, it's SPAM for certain "enhancement" drugs, at the worst it's hosting malicious code. Needles to say, if the PM doesn't actually exist then you know it's a forged Email return address. I wouldn't be clicking on the site.....

Simon.

GMPX
January 19th, 2010, 11:25 AM
You know the worst thing about these Spammers is now it's real people going through the registration process to then send all that crap, how can you stop that?

Tordne
January 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I've implemented a process on the forum for posts, which is why (I don't think) any have been posted since. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to PM's.

ScarabEpic22
January 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for doing that Tordne, Ive noticed spammer posts have significantly been reduced in the last few months.

I didnt get a PM fwiw.

swingtan
January 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Over at LS1.com.au we have banned free Email addresses being used for signing up. this has stopped 99.9% of SPAMers being able to get access to the registered users. We also have a manual verification for all new users so we Mods can vet the new users. We make good use of http://www.stopforumspam.com/ to help as well.

Simon.

GMPX
January 19th, 2010, 01:48 PM
What it will take is somebody successfully suing one of these companies who send this crap, that might scare off others.

TNT76
January 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Well I got the email saying I had Pm and noticed the outside link, get on the forum and find there isnt a PM? Haven't had a PM in months.

mr.prick
January 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM
What it will take is somebody successfully suing one of these companies who send this crap, that might scare off others.

We could forward the spam to another forum. :sly: :laugh:

joecar
January 19th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Well I got the email saying I had Pm and noticed the outside link, get on the forum and find there isnt a PM? Haven't had a PM in months.The spammer and all his pms/posts got whacked as soon as a moderator was notified...

Check your pm...

TNT76
January 19th, 2010, 04:58 PM
ahh ok, makes sense.

Thanks for pm.

5.7ute
January 19th, 2010, 05:20 PM
The spammer and all his pms/posts got whacked as soon as a moderator was notified...

Check your pm...

We need a home address to give him a whack around the head with a baseball bat.

eboggs_jkvl
January 20th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Thanks. If the admins have the information they need, I'll dump the PM. Let me know. We are blocking spammers pretty good on LS2.com with some blocking program but every now and then they can sneak in and mess around.

Later,

Elmer

Turbo T
January 25th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Hi I have just received one of these today from AdminGirLX @ 00:41 gmt

joecar
January 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM
If you got hit, please forward that pm to Tordne so he can feed it to spam blocker algorithm.

TAQuickness
January 25th, 2010, 11:26 PM
"Spam Blocker Algorithm" - has a nice ring to it :)

Turbo T
January 25th, 2010, 11:26 PM
The PM doesn't appear to be in my inbox, I received it via email.

gmperformancecentre
January 25th, 2010, 11:29 PM
same here recieved one today by email

joecar
January 26th, 2010, 05:14 AM
"Spam Blocker Algorithm" - has a nice ring to it :)lol, I couldn't remember which one he is using... :hihi:

Tordne
January 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I happen to get the PM myself yesterday while online so I dealt to it immediately (deleted all the PM's that person sent and banned them).

mr.prick
January 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM
http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/images/smilies/tuna.gif + http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/images/smilies/spam.jpg = :bad:

eboggs_jkvl
January 29th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Another hit:

This is the message that was sent:
Dear(s), USERS REMOVED

A virus alert was noticed on your computer.
We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: URL REMOVED
----------------------------------------------------
Sincerely, Forum Administration forum.efilive.com.

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
http://forum.efilive.com/private.php

All the best,
EFILive Forum

Trust me, firewall and Lapersky here. No virus on my PC.

Anyone want me to forward the PM to them? :D

Elmer

mr.prick
January 29th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Why re-post the spam link here? :confused:

eboggs_jkvl
January 29th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Why re-post the spam link here? :confused:

First, the admin can see if they have the text record anywhere.

Second, I offered to forward the full message to any staff member that might want it on record.

Third, Simply saying that I received a SPAM message does little good as far as specifics.

Is that enough reasons?

Elmer

mr.prick
January 29th, 2010, 07:51 AM
You couldn't forward the PM to a moderator?
Posting the link is doing the spammers job for him/her.

Tordne
January 29th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Someone else used the 'Report PM' function and I have banned and removed all sent PM's just about 20 minutes ago.

eboggs_jkvl
January 29th, 2010, 08:07 AM
You couldn't forward the PM to a moderator?
Posting the link is doing the spammers job for him/her.

No, I wanted to give you something so you can live up to your ID name.

I know that my posting the link affected you so seriously. It probably oveloaded your internet provider with the massive content. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Elmer

Tordne
January 29th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Personal digs are going a bit far.

eboggs_jkvl
January 31st, 2010, 08:51 AM
It's back.

eboggs_jkvl
January 31st, 2010, 08:52 AM
Personal digs are going a bit far.

Yep, I agree. I am trying to help; not be questioned by a fellow member.

jfpilla
January 31st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Just got another one from this jerk. He/She is not smart enough to pick a less astute group.:shock:

Bruce Melton
February 1st, 2010, 08:30 AM
Got it again yesterday, but it is so bogus it is easily recognized and ignored.

MRCapps
March 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Got an email one today. No PMs though! Where do I sing up to sue? LOL

And can I reply with a genuine FU?

TAQuickness
March 5th, 2010, 11:08 AM
go for it CAPPS.

BTW: welcome to the forum.

x MadMAX DIESEL
March 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM
MESSAGE DELETED AS IT WAS SPAM CONTENT

Got this today, with no real PM... This is not from you guys, correct?
I really don't want to click the link..

Tordne
March 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM
It was a bogus message and the user has been banned and all sent PM messages deleted. I have removed the body of your post to not spread the rubbish :)

x MadMAX DIESEL
March 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Ohh okay thanks.

Tordne
March 5th, 2010, 05:15 PM
We've just implemented a configuration change that will hopefully help with the PM SPAM issue. Time will tell I guess.

jeff keyuk
March 6th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I received a private message from a willie thompson about spam on my pc. My pc is clean,no problem here! could not find any Willie Thompson on the members list !

joecar
March 6th, 2010, 07:36 AM
If anyone gets a spam private message, please do this:
copy the username of the spammer and send it via pm/email to any of the moderators...

Tordne should be cc'd on the pm/email so he can manipulate the spam blocker.

Please do not paste any links from the spam into the forum (as this is the spammer's original intent).

mr.prick
March 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Please do not paste any links from the spam into the forum (as this is the spammer's original intent).

:lookaround: