PDA

View Full Version : EFI Tuner shootout for Diesel Power Magazine?

LBZoom
January 19th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hey guys,

Had an idea to throw out there. Just read one of the latest issues of Diesel Power magazine and they had a chip/tuner shootout for the 7.3 powerstroke tuners. So I got the idea that we need to team up and get the magazine to do a shootout for EFI Live Duramax tuners, using tunes supplied by members of this forum. It would be great publicity for EFI live as well as us members who want to see how we really stack up, it would bring traffic to this forum and also open up a national magazine to pitch the upcoming Cummins support as well. Anyone think this is a worth while idea? Let me know and I'll contact them and see what they say. But just remember since I brought it up I should at least get the wild card entry with my tune lol.:cheers:

bballer182
January 19th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Hey guys,

Had an idea to throw out there. Just read one of the latest issues of Diesel Power magazine and they had a chip/tuner shootout for the 7.3 powerstroke tuners. So I got the idea that we need to team up and get the magazine to do a shootout for EFI Live Duramax tuners, using tunes supplied by members of this forum. It would be great publicity for EFI live as well as us members who want to see how we really stack up, it would bring traffic to this forum and also open up a national magazine to pitch the upcoming Cummins support as well. Anyone think this is a worth while idea? Let me know and I'll contact them and see what they say. But just remember since I brought it up I should at least get the wild card entry with my tune lol.:cheers:

And EFI vs. the competition

GMPX
January 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
That is a great idea for sure, but it would need to be judged on more than the final dyno numbers. It would need a drive test to see how the truck behaves, even a 30mile MPG test?
Then you would of course need a control truck that each tuner had a go at, and what model, LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM?

I can see this getting ugly :grin:

Cheers,
Ross

P.S - Did you read the article on the new California Diesel emissions in that same issue? :shock:

killerbee
January 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Agreed. The real value of this software is refinement. (unless you have an LMM :) )

bballer182
January 19th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Agreed. The real value of this software is refinement. (unless you have an LMM :) )

hahaha. I hear ya... 8594 seems to be the trickiest.

LBZoom
January 19th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Well, they did several tests for the 7.3 shootout as GMPX mentioned. However they only published the dyno sheets with a brief commentary for each, and they used one truck for all the tuners, and notified the tuners ahead of time about the mods on the truck, here's what I propose...

Either an LB7 or an LBZ (depending on if you want VVT tuning to be a factor)
1.) A street manners test
2.) A dyno test
3.) A MPG test
First segment could be competition between members, perhaps do a second segment in another issue summarizing our tunes vs. competitors mass produced chips?

bballer182
January 20th, 2010, 02:21 AM
1/4 mile ET's?

killerbee
January 20th, 2010, 02:55 AM
DP magazine is not going to do anything that aquiesces to the reality that this is a work truck.

Do an independent test, including some of the mentioned items, realworld oriented. First, find competent judges, that don't have a stopwatch growing from chest hairs.

MaxxTorque might be interested also.

Big D
January 20th, 2010, 06:20 PM
A friendly competition like this would be a blast! But like Ross stated, there would have to be controls set to allow the tuners to be fairly judged.

LBZoom
January 22nd, 2010, 06:42 AM
Ttt

LBZoom
January 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I emailed Diesel Power, no response. I'm going to call them in the near future. If not we'll resort to something else dangit!

getsome
March 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Well there would be pros and cons about this idea, but it would be a great idea I should say there is a good amount of d-maxs out there building power. Thier just not noticed yet but we must beware of people buying efi and tuning their friends trucks and blowing up motors. That might give d-max and efi a bad name.

LBZoom
March 4th, 2010, 01:08 AM
So far I've never gotten a reply from Diesel Power. I'll try more as I find time. As far as people blowing up their buddy's trucks....I think people will realize that their is a learning curve and those who go all out initially are by far novice tuners and wouldn't represent the entire EFI community. :cheers: