PDA

View Full Version : BBL Auto Restart After Entering "Power Saving" Mode?

swingtan
January 23rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Guys,

This has been mentioned before, but I think the end results was " can't be done". I have thoughts on this and was wondering what could be done.

What I would like, is to have some way of "auto logging" set up in the car. I'd like to do this mainly to ensure my car is treaded correctly when it goes in for a service etc, as well as making it easy to log trips without needing to manually start a log session. This will make sense to the home tuners, but probably not much to the workshops. I would like to be able to capture data every time the car runs, so the options are....

Start a log and leave it running, even when the car is turned off. The only way this would work is if "power saving" mode is turned off, but this would flatten the battery pretty quick, running the screen especially.
Have some way of "waking up" the V2 automatically, ( not needing a key press". I'm not sure if there is a way of waking the V2 when the ODB-II bus goes active? Maybe an external I/P could wake it?
Have an option where the V2 can be put in "Hands Free" operation, where is auto-starts logging when it detects a PCM and ends the log after a period of no data. To go with this, is another "power saving" mode that disables the screen to reduce power consumption.

I've tested the current firmware and it will continue a log, providing the V2 does not enter power saving mode. Once it goes in, it will not come out without a key press. It will however continue a log after it "wakes up".

So, are there any options I've missed? Is there something that can be done to allow this sort of operation?

Simon.

Dieselman
March 7th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Did you have any luck with this Simon????

It would be good for me at the moment to do some logging while the missus drives the car during the day

Ben

swingtan
March 8th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I think it's fairly specific to the CAN bus. I've loaned my V2 to a mate to log his runs at the drags and he said he forgot to end the logs on a few occasions. We ended up with very long logs with the V2 resuming the log session when the car was restarted. But on mt E38, I can leave a log running, then when I restart the car the V2 doesn't seem to wake up again. I'll do a test tomorrow to confirm it as maybe I simply didn't wait long enough previously.

Simon.

swingtan
March 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Well, I did a test today, log file attached.

Frame 188: stopped the car and turned off the ignition
Frame 549: 13.5 seconds later, the V2 pauses the log file
Frame 550: 11.8 seconds later, I turned on the ignition and the V2 resumed logging
Frame 813: 9.8 seconds later, I turned off the ignition. This time I waited over 60 seconds for the V2 to go into power saving mode.
Frame 814: 60 seconds later, I turned on the ignition and started the engine. However the V2 did not start logging again until I woke it up by pressing a button, 30 seconds after the car has started.

So the V2 will not wake up from power saving mode without a key press. I'm not sure if there is a way to make it wake up on CAN bus activity or not.

Simon

Dieselman
March 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
So any button can be pressed to wake V2 up???

This might still be usefull to me. Can the sleep time be set????

swingtan
March 8th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Yes, any button.

Yes, under settings. It's the "low power" setting, anything over "0" sets the time.

Dieselman
March 8th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks Simon

I waited for it to shut down but after 5 mins I assumed it wouldn't :shock: