PDA

View Full Version : no pilots, no post injection

SGFastMax
January 31st, 2010, 02:39 AM
has anyone successfully got rid of the pilot and post injections and made proper timing adjustment and actually worked? i tried to do this but it revs up slow and puts raw fuel out the exhaust. i know pilot injection preheats the cylinder and i need to advance the timing to compensate for it, but dont know how far to advance. and is the A table the only table i should advance?these are the tables i zero'd out. i also bumped up timing table A a few degrees. anything missing?
Engine Operation.Injection Amount.Pilot Injection #1
{B9101} Pilot Injection #1 Quantity (A), modified.
{B9102} Pilot Injection #1 Quantity (B), modified.
{B9103} Pilot Injection #1 Coolant Adjust (A), modified.
{B9104} Pilot Injection #1 Coolant Adjust (B), modified.
{B9111} Pilot Injection #1 Baro Adjust (A), modified.
{B9112} Pilot Injection #1 Baro Adjust (B), modified.
{B9115} Pilot Injection #1 Maximum (A), modified.
{B9116} Pilot Injection #1 Maximum (B), modified.

Engine Operation.Injection Amount.Pilot Injection #2
{B9120} Pilot Injection #2 Quantity, modified.
{B9127} Pilot Injection #2 Maximum, modified.

Engine Operation.Injection Amount.Pilot Injection #3
{B9137} Pilot Injection #3 Maximum, modified.

Engine Operation.Injection Amount.Post Injection #2
{B9301} Post Injection #2 Quantity, modified.
{B9302} Post Injection #2 Coolant Adjust, modified

GMPX
January 31st, 2010, 11:56 AM
B1021 will remove all pilot and post injection events if that is what you want, change the entire thing to 1.

Cheers,
Ross

SGFastMax
January 31st, 2010, 02:44 PM
ok, thanks

killerbee
February 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
i know pilot injection preheats the cylinder and i need to advance the timing to compensate for it,

I think you have this backwards. Pilot injection, on the whole, advances ignition, so you have to retard timing when in use.

also, I had a bad smoke issue till I killed the EGR. You will find that helpful.

justin123
February 1st, 2010, 10:20 AM
ivebeen running no pilots for a while now and if u leave the stock timing in it smokes white i added some timing varing accross the timing table ... retarding would make it worse unless im messed up somewhere

killerbee
February 1st, 2010, 10:28 AM
Retarding, on the whole, always leads to more smoke, less combustion completeness.

justin123
February 1st, 2010, 10:39 AM
right so if u turn the pilots off and run only the main injection the cylnder pressure is lower and the cylnder temp is also lower therefore needing an advancement in timing to start the ignition process sooner... right??? correct me if im wrong

SGFastMax
February 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM
right so if u turn the pilots off and run only the main injection the cylnder pressure is lower and the cylnder temp is also lower therefore needing an advancement in timing to start the ignition process sooner... right??? correct me if im wrong

thats exactly what i was thinking.

DURAtotheMAX
February 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
why would you want to get rid of pilot injection

duramaximizer
February 3rd, 2010, 02:39 AM
Also, I had a bad smoke issue till I killed the EGR. You will find that helpful.

I also found that adding 10MPa help deminish smoke and it didn't make any more noise. I may add a little bit more FRP and see if I can get down any less. :gossip:

SGFastMax
February 3rd, 2010, 11:19 PM
ivebeen running no pilots for a while now and if u leave the stock timing in it smokes white i added some timing varing accross the timing table ... retarding would make it worse unless im messed up somewhere

how much timing did you add?

justin123
February 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
ummm it kinda varied throught the table just start small like 2 degrees then test and run scans and watch for white smoke and record the mm3 and rpm and adjust for timing till smokes gone takes a while though just dont go crazy and add too much but ive made some good no smoke tunes with plenty of power

mike_s
February 11th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I'm with the other guy...why do you want to disable the pilot injection?

justin123
February 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM
well i done it b/c i like the noise but im sure an added benefit is if the pilot 1 and 2 are off and the post is off then theres 3 injections per stroke thats not happening... thus decreasing the duty cycle on the injector and drive module... i mean im not sure but i would say that could be a benefit but for me i just like the noise

mike_s
February 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM
To each his own, but I can tell you that at least on my LB7 there were NO benefits to disabling pilot injection, I ot exactly the same mileage and felt no power difference... but all of this AFTER the month of trying to get the main timing table set right to get the engine to run. They are actually not designed to run witout the pilot injection at lower RPM.

justin123
February 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM
well i aint sure about the LB7 ive never tried disabling them on that engine but i dont see why u couldnt w/o problems and w/o adding fuel u wouldnt really get a power gain from just disabling the pilot/pilots i will say this tho ive made some tow tunes and a mild race tune with just the main injection and ive smoked some goats that were beefed up pretty good but my trannys about shot now ... no good lol ... idling tho w/o pilots in with cold engine in cold weather can kinda be a little smoky but ive been working with timing adj at certain engine temps to help it but i havent had much time for it lately but after its warm in idles fine no smoke just a bit of info :-)

Wheelz
August 23rd, 2012, 03:21 AM
B1021 will remove all pilot and post injection events if that is what you want, change the entire thing to 1.

Cheers,
Ross

If you set that table to 2, will only pilot 1 and the main injection event occur?

LB72004
August 25th, 2012, 07:23 PM
hey, Justin

did you notice any difference in MPGs, good or bad when you got it dialed in? seems most try it to improve MPGs but end up with the same or worse and extra noise to boot.

with the extra diesel noise can you hear the timing knock if you advance it too far?

thanks jason

KB3MMX
October 4th, 2012, 05:48 PM
The extra noise is caused by rapid pressure spikes in the cylinder when the main charge finally lights.......VERY bad for the internals.
It is much safer to keep pilot injection and have a smooth pressure build in the cylinders instead of spikes.

Wheelz
October 4th, 2012, 06:55 PM
If you do any research on pilot injection it can actually improve mileage. It's one of the few good ideas that has required more expensive parts on our trucks