PDA

View Full Version : how vin liceanse works

SGFastMax
February 5th, 2010, 04:19 PM
i have a question. if i liceanse my v2 to a truck and do not lock the pcm from anyone else getting into it, could someone else tune this truck with their v2 using the liceanse i bought for it? or would they have to buy another liceanse for the pcm?

LBZoom
February 5th, 2010, 04:43 PM
As far as I know your truck can't be tuned without locking the ECM/PCM to YOUR V2 cable. I believe anyone else would have to buy a license, although that part I'm not sure on.

L31Sleeper
February 5th, 2010, 05:39 PM
The license info is stored in YOUR v2. You will be able to tune that PCM
forever unless someone else locks it. If you don't lock it anyone else can
change the tune (and steal yours) with any product out there,
EFI live, HP tuner, LS1 edit, etc...... Any changes by anyone else will
require THEM to license THEIR tool to the PCM. i.e. VIN for EFI Live
or credits for HP Tuner. There are no changes inside the PCM during
the licensing process.

hope this helps.
-Justin

SGFastMax
February 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM
but once they would liceanse the pcm to their v2, would i have to buy another liceanse to make changes with mine? thanks

Tordne
February 5th, 2010, 08:57 PM
OK, so this is how it works:

Each FlashScan interface has it's own completely separate licensing system. So if a ECM/TCM is licensed to one FlashScan interface that license cannot be transferred or used by another FlashScan interface.

If the next person who wanted tio tune the vehicle had a FlashScan with the appropriate Stream license then they would not need to allocate a license of their own to tune the vehicle (that's what Streams do after all).

If you lock the ECM then it cannot be tuned by anyone, or any other program, without knowing the lock code. If you're talking about a customer vehicle I personally believe that the customer must be advised that the controller is going to be locked by the tuner.

SGFastMax
February 6th, 2010, 01:12 AM
ok, i understand now. thanks

wpage
February 6th, 2010, 04:22 AM
This is one of the sticky points between efi and hpt that are confusing.

joecar
February 6th, 2010, 06:40 AM
This is one of the sticky points between efi and hpt that are confusing.Which part...?

FlashScan V2 licenses a PCM or a ECM/TCM pair by remembering the controller module serial number (not vin)...

The licenses (serial numbers of the controllers) are stored in the V2... they go wherever the V2 goes.

With EFILive, a controller is licensed only when you go to flash it for the first time... you don't need a license to read the calibration file from the controller, nor to view/edit it, nor to scan/log/chart/map.

EFILive controller licenses cost $99 each, they license 1 PCM or 1 ECM/TCM pair... when you buy a V2 it already comes with 2 licenses.

EFILive workshop stream licenses allow you to flash unlimited controllers in the stream family (e.g. LS1B, E38, E67)... a stream license obviously costs more.

One more thing: with EFILive you can flash (full flash) in a different [compatible] OS, and any [available] COS without requiring any extra licenses (other than the one that you flash with), it just uses the one license wheather you're cal-only flashing or full flashing.

BTW: Have you bought yet...?

:)

L31Sleeper
February 6th, 2010, 10:17 AM
but once they would liceanse the pcm to their v2, would i have to buy another liceanse to make changes with mine? thanks

Yours is good forever so long as you don't get locked out by another tuner.

wpage
February 6th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Still on the fence with efi and hpt. Thanks for clarity...

FlashScan V2 licenses a PCM or a ECM/TCM pair by remembering the controller module serial number (not vin)...

The licenses (serial numbers of the controllers) are stored in the V2... they go wherever the V2 goes.

With EFILive, a controller is licensed only when you go to flash it for the first time... you don't need a license to read the calibration file from the controller, nor to view/edit it, nor to scan/log/chart/map.

EFILive controller licenses cost $99 each, they license 1 PCM or 1 ECM/TCM pair... when you buy a V2 it already comes with 2 licenses.

EFILive workshop stream licenses allow you to flash unlimited controllers in the stream family (e.g. LS1B, E38, E67)... a stream license obviously costs more.

One more thing: with EFILive you can flash (full flash) in a different [compatible] OS, and any [available] COS without requiring any extra licenses (other than the one that you flash with), it just uses the one license wheather you're cal-only flashing or full flashing.

BTW: Have you bought yet...?

:)[/QUOTE]

mr.prick
February 6th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Yes.
Once the PCM is "licensed" you can flash calz & OS, upgrade to a COS and
do your own segment swaps without being charged.

joecar
February 6th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Oh yeah, I had forgot about free segment swaps...:cheers: