PDA

View Full Version : 2k silverado, change to COS, questions.

acomp917
February 6th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hello all,

I have a 2000 5.3L(LM-7) silverado. I would like to know if the 2000 PCM will accept 2001 OS... including COS #1270003.

My PCM has OS#09381344 and a cal#9379551.

I found a search that suggests that COS# 1270003 from 2001 is compatible with my 2000 PCM. Then It seems to fall apart(I have limited knowledge).

This is my daily driver

I'm going to assume that if I can flash the 2001 tune from "Holden Crazy"... that I can flash the 1270003 COS and then cal the COS with the 2001 .tun from Holden Crazy. Is there any problem doing a complete flash in order to put MY original program(ALL) back if this does not work. I bought a spare PCM, The truck won't start with it connected. I'm just trying to make sure my driver won't be killed! :)

I also need to ask about the fuel gauge. I have read about some of them being PWM and some analog. I have done a complete pin out for the 2000 and both 2001's(delphi and denso NBO2's), I found only 1 difference and I think it was a simple error. A single pin listed a HO2S as low as opposed to signal reference. From what I found(no Fuel gauge connection) I assume that the IP is part of a serial connection as opposed to discrete(separate) connections.

I know this is windy and dis-organized, It is the best I can do.

Thanks for help in advance,
S

Chevy366
February 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hello all,

I have a 2000 5.3L(LM-7) silverado. I would like to know if the 2000 PCM will accept 2001 OS... including COS #1270003.

My PCM has OS#09381344 and a cal#9379551.

I found a search that suggests that COS# 1270003 from 2001 is compatible with my 2000 PCM. Then It seems to fall apart(I have limited knowledge).

This is my daily driver

I'm going to assume that if I can flash the 2001 tune from "Holden Crazy"... that I can flash the 1270003 COS and then cal the COS with the 2001 .tun from Holden Crazy. Is there any problem doing a complete flash in order to put MY original program(ALL) back if this does not work. I bought a spare PCM, The truck won't start with it connected. I'm just trying to make sure my driver won't be killed! :)

I also need to ask about the fuel gauge. I have read about some of them being PWM and some analog. I have done a complete pin out for the 2000 and both 2001's(delphi and denso NBO2's), I found only 1 difference and I think it was a simple error. A single pin listed a HO2S as low as opposed to signal reference. From what I found(no Fuel gauge connection) I assume that the IP is part of a serial connection as opposed to discrete(separate) connections.

I know this is windy and dis-organized, It is the best I can do.

Thanks for help in advance,
S
I would go with the 2002 , better tune than the others , and yes you can full flash with a new .tun and then full flash back to the old .tun no problem .

acomp917
February 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Chevy 366,

Thanks for the info. I am going to flash the custom OS tomorrow, then I'm going to apply the 2002 tune on top of it. I think that should convert and tune the PCM.

Do you know if there are any problems when applying this to a stock 2000 silverado?

My only winter transportation is this truck. I know you said that there is no problem flashing back to the original OS/tune.

I'm both asking a question and expressing a concern. WTF! I feel like I'm about jump off of a bridge. :shock:

Thanks for the info,
S

ScarabEpic22
February 7th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Other way around, have to go to the 02 main OS first then flash the proper COS over the top of it.

acomp917
February 7th, 2010, 02:55 AM
ScarabEpic22,

Wow, thanks for the how to. Probably made my day much better. That seems backwards to me(from other systems).

I'm gonna ask for a sanity check.

1- flash 2000 pcm with 2002 .tun from holden crazy using the "program pcm operating system and calibrations".

2- flash 2000 pcm with cos 02020005 (matches the 2002 12212156) using the "program pcm operating system and calibrations".

3- flash 2000 pcm with with 2002 .tun from holden crazy using "program pcm calibration".

Then follow instructions from there.

Thanks for the help,
S

Chevy366
February 7th, 2010, 05:11 AM
You only have to flash the PCM with the 02 and you can just "full flash" with the COS first if you wish , but I would "full flash" 02 then transfer any difference "calibration only flash" from the 00 to it , make sure it runs , then do the "full flash" of COS of choice . Tweak the .tun by doing "Calibration Only Flash" flashes to make adjustments . :secret:

acomp917
February 7th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Chevy 366,

I full flashed the 2002 (12212156) first and checked to see if it would run. Worked well(first thoughts).

Then I full flashed the 20200005 COS and did a tune only flash of 2002 12212156 on it, then read the entire thing back to my laptop(for learning purposes).

Then I full flashed the 2002 (12212156) back to the PCM and tried to log some pids. Could not seem to log. Checked all I could think of. Due to being new, I thought it could be my fault.

Full flashed original tune back into PCM. No change, can't log(probably my fault). Didn't know about the alt. indicator.

Full flashed 2002 (12212156) back into PCM. I figured I would figure out the logging problem later and this would give me the chance to test the 2002 tune. Started the 15 mile drive home... noticed the red battery(alternator) indication keeps blinking slowly, never stopped. Alternator works well. Seems to not even dim the lights at an idle now. Can find no other problems, have not tried to log again. Done for now.

Can you make any sense or provide any insight on these problems?

Thanks for helping me get started,
S

joecar
February 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I full flashed the 2002 (12212156) first and checked to see if it would run. Worked well(first thoughts).Ok, that is good.

Then I full flashed the 20200005 COS and did a tune only flash of 2002 12212156 on it, then read the entire thing back to my laptop(for learning purposes).Ok, the read back of 02020005 is required, this becomes your working 02020005 file.

Then I full flashed the 2002 (12212156) back to the PCM and tried to log some pids. Could not seem to log. Checked all I could think of. Due to being new, I thought it could be my fault.

Full flashed original tune back into PCM. No change, can't log(probably my fault). Didn't know about the alt. indicator.

Full flashed 2002 (12212156) back into PCM. I figured I would figure out the logging problem later and this would give me the chance to test the 2002 tune. Started the 15 mile drive home... noticed the red battery(alternator) indication keeps blinking slowly, never stopped. Alternator works well. Seems to not even dim the lights at an idle now. Can find no other problems, have not tried to log again. Done for now.

Can you make any sense or provide any insight on these problems?

Thanks for helping me get started,
SPost your 12212156 and 02020005 .tun files.

After doing a flash, did you wait at least 15 seconds with the ignition key off...?

acomp917
February 8th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Thanks joecar,

I did wait 15 seconds. I did not even close the timer window until timer reached zero. Did not know what might happen.

Today I tune flashed a modified 2002. I changed the f or l (don't remember) area to "no". Now it matches that area of the orig. tune. Still blinks.

I just got this post:From another thread(older).
If I remember right I had to change the Alternator L terminal to Alternator F terminal under vehicle platforms {G1207} or other way around (sorry can't remember) and under Engine Diagnostics {P1637} & {P1638} I had to set one of them to non-emission & one to not reported... hope this kinda helps...:D
------------------------------------

I attached the modified 2002 tune that is currently in the 2000 truck.

ScarabEpic22
February 8th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I just took a peek on my laptop, looking at your fans section do you have efans with a standalone controller? If not Id copy the values from your 00 tune over, the values in there are not even close for a stock fan or efan setup.

As for your flashing battery issue, thats weird! I havent done this swap personally (dont have any LS1 car/truck to try it on) so hopefully someone else who has figured this out can get it sorted.

acomp917
February 8th, 2010, 08:40 AM
ScarabEpic22,

I'm not sure what you mean. Both .tun files match in the fans area. The heading is "no fans" that negates all of those settings. The trucks use belt driven fan.

On that flash advice... You have to flash the COS over any compatible controller, then flash the compatible calibration "into" the COS.

Careful about what you tell noobs, they(I) should learn correctly.

S

ScarabEpic22
February 8th, 2010, 09:13 AM
ScarabEpic22,

I'm not sure what you mean. Both .tun files match in the fans area. The heading is "no fans" that negates all of those settings. The trucks use belt driven fan.

Hmm, Ive never seen a file setup that way even though both of my trucks use mechanical fans. Do you mean they are full-time belt driven, as in the PCM has absolutely no control over them (even with the A/C compressor)?

On that flash advice... You have to flash the COS over any compatible controller, then flash the compatible calibration "into" the COS.

Careful about what you tell noobs, they(I) should learn correctly.

S

?? You have to first load the base 2002 OS that you want to upgrade to a COS. Then full flash the COS in. I assumed you knew to do cal flash afterwards to get the COS setup just like if you were upgrading to another regular OS, sorry I didnt clarify first.

joecar
February 8th, 2010, 09:57 AM
In your read-back 02020005 file, look at the Custom parameters/tables, check for any parameters/tables being out-of-range (i.e. blue dog-ear corners in any table cell);

Did you fix any OOR tables...? If not, this may or may not be the problem (probably not the problem).

acomp917
February 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
joecar,

Are you posting to me(acomp917)?

I will look for any OOR settings. I'm currently running the 12212156 2002 factory OS/tune. I had a problem with the "blinking battery". I just fixed it by setting it to "not reported" in p1638. I don't know if there are other problems because of that. Am going to post the repair right now.

Oh, I checked all of the tables between stock 2k and 2002(12212156)starting at the bottom, made it all the way to trans control. I notice no problems. Some of the 2002 tables were not even in the 2k .tun file. Some of the 2k tables starting with trans control were really strangely populated. I think I'm just going to leave the TC and EC settings at the 2002 settings. This 2002 tune is for EXACTLY the same combination. I still can't figure out why the message center had the "blinkn battry".

Thanks for your help,
S

joecar
February 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Oh, yes, I am...

Oh, ok, P1368 was it... cool...:cheers:

LinearX
February 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM
If anyone is interested, here is what the code means.

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic10124.php

Bear in mind, this is from a Corvette, but the same applies. I did this same OS upgrade with a friend's 2000 Silverado and we had the same issue with the battery light blinking. Disabling this DTC will prevent the light from coming on in the event of a charging failure, so be sure to keep an eye on your volt meter.

acomp917
February 8th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks LinearX,

Figured that would probably disable the alt. warning even though I didn't have the theory.

Did you have to disable the DTC? or was there another solution.

S

Oh(io), and Joecar

Don't be a British Dude! ;)

LinearX
February 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks LinearX,

Figured that would probably disable the alt. warning even though I didn't have the theory.

Did you have to disable the DTC? or was there another solution.

Yes, we disabled the DTC.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/pcm-tuning-diagnostics/2823-no-more-flashing-battery-light.html#post19697

That is the only real solution that I found that will enable you to keep the DTC active. At this point, my friend isn't too concerned about it so I just left the DTC disabled.