PDA

View Full Version : Limp mode? with new dsp5 and tunes

smitty91
February 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I recently upgraded my 06 lbz from a bullydog powerpup hand held programmer to a dsp5 switch with 5 tunes from nick@duramaxtuner. I told him i wanted a stock tune, tow tune, smoke tune, mid hp tune, and high hp tune. He gave me all of those and they work awesome. I also told him that I had a ad150 lift pump, egr blocker, boost stick, and a suncoast stage iv kit tranny. However I don't have the suncoast installed yet so I just told him I already did thinking it wouldn't cause any problems. So he made the changes to my ecm and tcm and emailed me back the tunes. Again, everything works perfect except for one problem. At any given time, usually when the engine is cold, it seems like it goes into limp mode. However, I know its not limp mode because with limp mode it won't go over 30 mph or whatever. What happens is I will be driving on any of the 5 tunes and out of the blue it will go to shit like someone flipped a switch. It seems like anything over 1/16th throttle is no more powerful than 1/16th throttle. If I floor it from a stop, it will not come even close to breaking the tires loose and take about a full mile to get up to 70 mph. I called nick and he looked over the tunes and said they were good, so I am wondering if I am having these problems because I don't have the suncoast in yet since he tuned the tcm thinking that I did? I am lost and it is driving me insane because it is not safe to drive like this. Thanks in advance

cook
February 7th, 2010, 04:47 PM
hi, if i am understanding this right this happens when its in the cold mode ,how does it act when its warmed up Loren

smitty91
February 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Thank you for your response and yes you are correct about the cold part. It seems to do it on the first start up after the truck has been sitting for enough time to get the engine and or transmission good and cold. I cant say it has done it after starting the truck if it was already warm prior to the start. You see once it goes into this "weird mode" it will not go back to normal again unless I turn the engine off and leave it off for at least about 10 minutes then restart it and take off. It makes no sense to me. A member on diesel place suggested that it could be the spin on filter on the transmission, however I don't think thats the problem because it only started going into this "weird mode" when I installed the dsp5 and tunes. It never did it before even with the bullydog power pup. thanks again

dpc
February 8th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Is the truck giving you any codes? When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? I had fuel gel on me before and it had the symptoms you describe. I changed the filter and it fixed the problem.

cook
February 8th, 2010, 01:10 AM
hi, i was thinking on the lines of the cold mode map in the ecm but that could be a dsp issue which may be a case of starting at square 1 again. Loren

smitty91
February 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM
No I really don't think its the fuel filter because 1. I changed it about 600 miles ago and 2. it is very unlikely that it would have gone into this "weird mode" because of the fuel filter when it worked fine with the bully dog. And It just did it to me today after the truck was warm. This is really starting to piss me off and I am stumped as to what it could be. Anymore ideas?

Spuco
February 8th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Why don't you try re-flashing the first tune he gave you before you told him you had a tranny kit and see ahat happens.

MMLMM
February 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
So its fuel limp right, Not Trans limp?

Wont rev past 2k +/-?

or is it staying in 3rd gear?

Souns like fuel limp. are you getting a P1093, P009e code? Actually what codes are you getting? May need to shim the FPRV.

smitty91
February 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM
No I told him from the beginning that I had a suncoast kit already in the tranny even though I didnt because I didn't think it would cause any problems. I'm going to try to put the stock tcm tune back on and see what happens. The truck is not throwing any codes. and I don't think it is limp mode because it will rev to redline, it just takes a really long time, even in neutral.

smitty91
February 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Great. I just uploaded the stock tcm tune and it didn't change anything. It's still going into "weird mode."

smitty91
February 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM
So does that mean the problem is with the tune?

Spuco
February 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM
So does that mean the problem is with the tune?

If you re-flashed with the stock tune, and you are still having the same problem, why would you think its the tune? Is it possable that installing a tune that was set up with the mods you said you had, but did not, could have caused a problem? I'm not a tunner so i could not say if it was the tune or not, however when i ordered my tunes i told him what was in the truck, not what i was planning to install. My why of insuring that it will run right and there is no chance of fring something, When i plan on bumping up the tune, the truck will be set up to handle it.
I hope it all works out for you.

smitty91
February 8th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I didn't say I just uploaded the stock engine tune. I said I uploaded the stock tranny tune. 2 different things. And having gone back to the stock tranny tune, and the problem still remaining, I'm saying that this shows the problem is not with the transmission or transmission tune, so it leads me to believe it's with the engine tune. If telling nick that I already had the suncoast installed when he built the tunes was the problem, then the problem would have gone away when I went back to the stock transmission tune.

MMLMM
February 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I didn't say I just uploaded the stock engine tune. I said I uploaded the stock tranny tune. 2 different things. And having gone back to the stock tranny tune, and the problem still remaining, I'm saying that this shows the problem is not with the transmission or transmission tune, so it leads me to believe it's with the engine tune. If telling nick that I already had the suncoast installed when he built the tunes was the problem, then the problem would have gone away when I went back to the stock transmission tune.

theres nothing a tuner would really do in a TCM tune that would cause these issues. Also It doesnt matter if you have a SC trans or not.

SO no codes? Does this problem only exist on the modded ECM tunes? Does it do it on all DSP tunes? Have you tried stock tune? How do you get it out of "weird" mode, or what do you do that it goes back to normal? Have you tied to scan for codes? Maybe a background code not lighting the light.

Have you tried to log it? Whats your fuel pressures look like?

smitty91
February 9th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Okay thats what I thought. Then that rules out the transmission itself or tcm tune being the problem. That is correct, I am getting no codes and I have scanned multiple times for codes and I don't get any. Yes it does it on modded ecm tunes and the dsp5 tunes. I DID have a bullydog power pup handheld programmer and I didn't have this problem with that. I tried the stock tcm tune and it didn't eliminate the problem. I am going to try uploading the stock tune later today and see if the problem goes away. To get it out of "weird mode" i turn the truck off and leave it off for at least 10 minutes, then restart it and its back to normal. And I am also going to log it later today. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge.

cook
February 9th, 2010, 08:08 AM
log your ecm with efi live it would be a good diagnostic tool ,if you haven't thought of that yet and then post your results and see if someone can figure it out. or you could send it to nick ,i know he will figure it out. Loren

MMLMM
February 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hmmmm..maybe it is going into limp mode and the the codes are shut off (not reporting).
or
This wasnt a script you ran over your tune was it? If so maybe the units were imperial and your tune was set to metric.....Check out parameters B1118 and Bo792 and see if the tq is limited to a low number, or if the limp mode table is not raised and its limiting the fuel. Seems like if it just happens after bit, that it may be hitting limp mode and starving it of fuel.

smitty91
February 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM
So which pid's should I select when I log the ecm?

smitty91
February 10th, 2010, 01:23 PM
And no this wasnt a script. It was my original tune that Nick just modified for me. And I doubt its limp mode because it will go into this weird mode even if i'm driving like a grandma.

smitty91
February 10th, 2010, 02:22 PM
nevermind I figured it out. Of course now that I start logging it won't go into "weird mode." I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to get it to do it.

smitty91
February 11th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Here's about a 10 minute log of the truck going into "weird mode." for about the first 2 minutes the truck is normal and then it goes into this mode all of a sudden like someone flipped a switch. Thanks

8100 Power
February 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Have you tried the Stock Tune yet?

If it doesn't do it with the stock tune, then it's your tuning.

smitty91
February 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
yea I have, it doesn't do it on the stock tune. Thats what i'm thinking. Hopefully Nick can find a problem.

vortecfcar
February 12th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I've been out of town the past 2 days guys.. sorry for the delay. I'm looking into the problem now. The log shows rail pressure is fine.

The truck hitting a fuel (mm3) limit that doesn't seem to want to reveal itself. All torque limiters are maxxed out.

It's odd that the MAF is reading nearly zero. This appears to be a mixture limit issue. I have not rescaled the MAF or played with any mixture tables. This is the second truck I've seen this on, both LBZ. I rebuilt and rescripted the tune on the other truck and that cleared it up. I'll try that on this one. Should fix things, cross fingers.

It's like something is corrupt in the file and forces the MAF input to be interpreted as zero or near zero, thus limiting fuel....?

Nick

giesbrecht
February 14th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I've been out of town the past 2 days guys.. sorry for the delay. I'm looking into the problem now. The log shows rail pressure is fine.

The truck hitting a fuel (mm3) limit that doesn't seem to want to reveal itself. All torque limiters are maxxed out.

It's odd that the MAF is reading nearly zero. This appears to be a mixture limit issue. I have not rescaled the MAF or played with any mixture tables. This is the second truck I've seen this on, both LBZ. I rebuilt and rescripted the tune on the other truck and that cleared it up. I'll try that on this one. Should fix things, cross fingers.

It's like something is corrupt in the file and forces the MAF input to be interpreted as zero or near zero, thus limiting fuel....?

Nick

I'd like to know if you find anything on this, Nick, I'm beating my head against the wall on an LBZ doing the same thing. It's an early 06 if that makes any difference. I have tried changing the OS with no luck.

vortecfcar
February 16th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Hopefully Walker chimes in and lets me know if the rebuilt tune fixed the issue. Strange indeed.

I have another customer who thinks he may be experiencing something similar, albeit more intermittent. I've asked him to log MAF rate to see if we can draw some parallels.

O.S. on Walkers is: 52606128
O.S on the previous truck was: 52616698
O.S on the newest suspect: 52616698

I have yet to see it on the latest O.S. - Might be the one to try to update to Harley...

8100 Power
February 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I went through the same same with a LMM.

It also hit a fuel limiter within the tune. I'm not sure what the problem was, after a re did the DPF delete options it finally worked correctly.

vortecfcar
February 21st, 2010, 06:07 AM
I went through the same same with a LMM.

It also hit a fuel limiter within the tune. I'm not sure what the problem was, after a re did the DPF delete options it finally worked correctly.

Doesn't sound the same. Unless the MAF readout is showing zero or near zero while logging, it's not the same deal. DPF delete trucks will often run into limp mode problems and a visible 'reduced engine power' notification (easy fix like you said). This truck is not exhibiting those symptoms and not subject to that fix :( .

Nick

giesbrecht
February 21st, 2010, 08:10 AM
Hopefully Walker chimes in and lets me know if the rebuilt tune fixed the issue. Strange indeed.

I have another customer who thinks he may be experiencing something similar, albeit more intermittent. I've asked him to log MAF rate to see if we can draw some parallels.

O.S. on Walkers is: 52606128
O.S on the previous truck was: 52616698
O.S on the newest suspect: 52616698

I have yet to see it on the latest O.S. - Might be the one to try to update to Harley...

O.S. giving trouble: 12616698
O.S. I'm trying now: 12606128
Still limiting but I'm still working with it.