PDA

View Full Version : New with EFI help

duramax07tmd
February 11th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Hey guys, Im new to the EFI world. I recently sold my caned tuner and wanted to get in to the real deal tuning for my Duramax. I have a few questions.

Since i have a macbook pro, I have been told that I can run bootcamp on my mac to run the windows software so I will be able to tune my truck. My question is, what version of windows works best and the easiest to use EFI for my mac? Windows XP? Vista? or Windows 7?

Also is there any EFI tuners in North Carolina?

Any tips or suggestion for me using my mac to run windows and EFI would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Trace

joecar
February 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hi Trace,

Welcome to the forum...:cheers:

My $0.02 says WinXP.

I use Boot Camp to boot WinXP natively on my MacBook Pro... EFILive software works fine with it (scanning, logging, DVT, flashing).

First, install Boot Camp under Mac OSX, then read the Boot Camp pdf document carefully (especially how to eject a disc after the Windows install has finished)...

Boot Camp asks you how to split your hard disk and which OS to default to on power up (can be overriden by holding down the Alt key during power up).

TAQuickness
February 11th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Welcome to the forum Trace.

+1 on XP.

ScarabEpic22
February 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I would normally agree XP, but if you can do W7 then do it! W7 is to Vista what XP is to ME (for those who remember, ME was 100x worse than Vista and had a much shorter lifespan).

duramax07tmd
February 12th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Ok, thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

LBZoom
February 13th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I run mine on Vista and have had no problems at all, what part of North Carolina are you in? I'm in eastern TN, just this side of the Smokies from NC, near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area.

Biodiesel66
February 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Hey guys, Im new to the EFI world. I recently sold my caned tuner and wanted to get in to the real deal tuning for my Duramax. I have a few questions.

Since i have a macbook pro, I have been told that I can run bootcamp on my mac to run the windows software so I will be able to tune my truck. My question is, what version of windows works best and the easiest to use EFI for my mac? Windows XP? Vista? or Windows 7?

Also is there any EFI tuners in North Carolina?

Any tips or suggestion for me using my mac to run windows and EFI would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Trace

Did you get all your question answered?

duramax07tmd
February 15th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Yes all of my questions are answered. The only other thing I am trying to decide on is..
I am getting EFI soon and I am in between getting the V2 with the DSP2 or the V2 with the DSP5. The reason why I am considering the V2 with the DSP2 is because my transmission is stock and I cant think of too many tune options to run with a stock tranny.

I just wanted to get some of your opinions for tunes if I decided to go with the V2 and DSP5.

Thanks in advance!

8100 Power
February 16th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Just do the 5, and down the road when you get your trans built you can add the big tunes to the "free" slots.

duramax07tmd
February 16th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Anyone have or know where I can get a copy of Windows XP so i can use with my Macbook for EFI?

getsome
March 3rd, 2010, 01:29 PM
hey if i were you i would go to wally world and get one of those $300 laptops for your truck and put your efi live on there the laptop is small so you can keep it in your truck and all ways have your v2 and laptop just make sure you are going to know how to use efi live if you dont things can go sour quick if you need any help pm me and we can talk

duramax07tmd
March 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
I thought about that, but that is $300 more that i would need to spend. I kinda wish i could find a copy of windows for cheap. We will see. Thanks for the help!!!

getsome
March 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
well i got another idea dont know how well it would work but buy a laptop from a thrift store and use that as a tuning laptop

duramax07tmd
March 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
I guess i could do that or look for one on craigs list.