PDA

View Full Version : LBZ controller frozen. No start

johnasara
February 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Ok here is the deal. I am running a DSP5 switch and changed up one of my tunes. I went to reflash and it would erase the flash memory on my ECM then abort. It has done this several times. The fourth time today I hit the stop button when it was erasing the flash memory and now I have nothing.My truck will not accept a tune. It will not accept a full reflash nothing. It will not start either. I try to read it and it keeps giving me a interupted message. I did read just the computer hardware info and found the os is completly different than either my stock tune or the DSP tune OS now.I have disconnected the batteries several times at the advise of my tuner and another tuner. Still no dice. What do I have to do to get the computer up and running again??

the4wheeler
February 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
you might have to have it reflashed via TECH 2 to recover it

Some one might have a idea to try with efilive

Cougar281
February 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM
A Tech2 might be able to recover it, but if EFILive can't do anything, you might have a doorstop...

the4wheeler
February 15th, 2010, 03:26 AM
i thought i read some where in efilives instructions if you ever flash and is not successful and your remove power from the ecm before a successful flash is completed you will need to have the ECM reprogrammed via tech2

Brian1
February 15th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I would disconnect the batteries for an hour. I know over kill. Then use the $ffff as the seed key when you try to full flash a single standard tune first. Once you accomplish that if possible then you can do your DSP5 tune. Still no go then I say time to order a new ECM.

Brian

Cougar281
February 15th, 2010, 04:06 AM
i thought i read some where in efilives instructions if you ever flash and is not successful and your remove power from the ecm before a successful flash is completed you will need to have the ECM reprogrammed via tech2

That's possible, but I think EFILive has more "recovery power" than the Tech2.

boccheballs
February 15th, 2010, 05:09 AM
i remember that also. i read it in the scan tool manual

GMPX
February 15th, 2010, 09:10 AM
On the LBZ / LMM we are at the mercy of the ECM as to how the flash proceeds, it's pretty much all controlled by the ECM. The 'nice' part is the ECM should never put itself in a dead state on a failed reflash, even if a full flash fails.

The idea of unplugging the ECM is much like the reset button on your PC in a way, sometimes things go bad and you need to power down. On nearly every ECM out there when you turn the key off, the ECM is still alive for 5 - 15 seconds after this, but if it's off in space due to the failed flash it might never shut down.

So what I would do is pull the battery lead for maybe 10mins, that should be plenty.
Then try the full flash again, EFILive should tell you that the ECM does not have a valid calibration in it, proceed past that and you should be up and running again once the flash completes.

The warning on the pulling the battery really only applies to the LB7, it can be fatal on them.

Cheers,
Ross

johnasara
February 25th, 2010, 02:16 PM
No dice........Computer is D.O.A.
I tried unplugging the batteries for 1 hour. I also tried numerous times to reflash both the stock and Dsp programs and it did not work. I pulled the computer and sent it to Idahorob. He took it an put it on his bench harness and could still not recover it with Efi or a TechII. I purchased the loaner computer he sent me from him and am glad I had him load a Dsp program as I now need to purchase another vin license.He sent the scan reports and bug reports to Efi for their reveiw. Maybe my experiance will help others once it is figured out. I guess it is all part of the game. :doh2:

Bet you I never hit stop again.....LOL

GMPX
February 25th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Hi John,

Sorry to hear it all turned bad, the bug reports really didn't show what went wrong. Your VIN license can be replaced for free, Paul or Andrew probably already said that?
With the ECM, if you don't mind I might try to get hold of that and dissect what went wrong. If I fix it I'll even send it back as a spare for you.

Cheers,
Ross

johnasara
February 25th, 2010, 11:38 PM
If you can get it from Rob then feel free. I am all for finding out what happened. I have not heard anything about a free license, that would be cool of you all. I would like to thank you all for your help in the matter as well.

bballer182
February 26th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Hi John,

Sorry to hear it all turned bad, the bug reports really didn't show what went wrong. Your VIN license can be replaced for free, Paul or Andrew probably already said that?
With the ECM, if you don't mind I might try to get hold of that and dissect what went wrong. If I fix it I'll even send it back as a spare for you.

Cheers,
Ross

^^^^^^^

This just goes to show you haw cool EFI Live is. If the EFI software may or may not have caused the problem but they are still willing to give you a free license AND even look at the ECM for free, then you know you are working with a GOOD company. Try to get support like that from other companies....

johnasara
February 26th, 2010, 07:05 AM
They have been very helpful on this whole matter. I like how they see a possible problem and swarm on it

johnasara
March 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
I guess Rob is sending ross the Ecm to play with. Keep me informed on how it goes..I just want to know what happened for it to get a funky OS# and not respond.

GMPX
March 4th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I won't be back in the office until the middle of the month, but I'll post in here what I find.

johnasara
March 19th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Well I got a report back From Idahorob and I guess the old ECM was DOA..
Next question. I read the Loaner/Keeper I got from Rob today and it gave me a 12 OS# should'nt it be 5 for the DSP 5?? I am just curious. I do not want to fry another one.
On Edit: Rob did load the DSP5 program I sent him on it while it was still the loaner.

Brian1
March 21st, 2010, 06:02 AM
I thought one could not read a programmed DSP tuned ECM?

Brian

GMPX
March 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
You can't read a DSP5 tune, that is correct.
I have your ECM here but as yet I've not been able to pull it apart and see what went wrong, however I can confirm it is dead as a door nail.

SmokinDuradog
March 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
I had a LB7 truck that I tried to load a DSP5 onto and it had a hickup in the download and did something very similar. It would no longer let me upload or downlaod any information from the truck. The truck would not start and none of the power locks or windows or mirrors would work either. So after a few hours of trouble shooting by checking voltage comming and going from the data line of the OBD connection and the ECM we found that the Body Control Module up under the the dash on the driver side was not allowing us to communicate with the ECM. So I unplugged it and plugged it back and and it worked great. Sounds like you have a new ECM already but this may be helpful in the future or for others that read this thread.

ripmf666
March 24th, 2010, 01:29 AM
You can't read a DSP5 tune, that is correct.
I have your ECM here but as yet I've not been able to pull it apart and see what went wrong, however I can confirm it is dead as a door nail.

I have one that I am going to try and recover one more time.Rob said to send it to him and he would try on the bench harness also if I can not get it fixed maybe you could look at it if you have any luck with the other one if Rob doesnt with mine.

Thanks
Henry

GMPX
March 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM
On the LB7 it is possible to leave the ECM in a dead state as some critical code must be erased and re-written, if things go wrong before that happens then you might be in some trouble. The LBZ is different, the 'critical code' is never modified, even on a full reflash so there should never be the situation where it is not recoverable.

Cheers,
Ross

bobo
March 29th, 2010, 02:51 AM
On the LB7 it is possible to leave the ECM in a dead state as some critical code must be erased and re-written, if things go wrong before that happens then you might be in some trouble. The LBZ is different, the 'critical code' is never modified, even on a full reflash so there should never be the situation where it is not recoverable.

Cheers,
Ross

True. I had one die in the truck and used my bench harness to recover it. Never did figure out why the flash was interupted in the truck, but LBZ bench harness saved the day.

Cougar281
March 29th, 2010, 04:41 AM

Cheers,
Ross

What about the situation with one or more other controllers where if you changed some obsure, seemingly benign parameter (Wasn't it something to do with the VSS?) to 0 it would lock up the controller forever, never to work again? Could this be somehow similar?

GMPX
March 29th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Not sure if that was a problem on the Bosch ECM's, the Delphi ones don't have a divide by zero check in the speedo code, that is where the problem is.

johnasara
October 22nd, 2010, 07:15 AM
Did you ever have a chance to disect my old ECM? I was just wondering what could have caused it to fail. The tuck only had 55,000 miles on it.The new Ecm is working like a charm I have reflashed it several times with no problems.

johnasara
November 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Did you ever get this figured out??

PlumCrazyCustoms
September 10th, 2020, 04:04 AM
Any update on what the cause was? Just had a similar scenario, although in my case, was caused by a loose power wire on the obd2 port..... stopped in the middle of the flash, ecm will not reflash now.

cindy@efilive
September 10th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Any update on what the cause was? Just had a similar scenario, although in my case, was caused by a loose power wire on the obd2 port..... stopped in the middle of the flash, ecm will not reflash now.

You should be able to recover the ECM following the controller recovery process documented here https://service.efilive.com/kb/articles/controller-recovery-process

Cheers
Cindy