PDA

View Full Version : Why 2 Buy EFI Live instead of HP Tuners?

DMAX432
February 14th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I'm looking at sometime down the road to buy either.I like what I hear about EFI Live but the $800 vs. $650 and plus you can tune other makes with HP.I really won't get into tuning others.Myquestion really my be is it worht the extra $150?

Thanks

Tordne
February 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM
There is really no point asking a questions like this on a vendor forum. Most (I hope) EFILive customers are going to tell you that the extra $$$ is worth it. You're probably better reviewing similar questions on other forums like LS1Tech where this has been asked repeatedly.

DMAX432
February 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Well I thought about that but not enough I guess.I'm already leaning towards EFI Live and I wanted to hear all the good things @ it.

Tordne
February 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM
For a Duramax owner I'd suggest that the biggest benefit for you will be the EFILive DSP5 Custom Operating Systems (COS). These allow you to install a 5 position switch in the cabin and change between 5 levels of tune on the fly.

The EFILive DSP5 COS is available to all customers at no additional cost.

The FlashScan V2 also has inputs for a K-type thermocouple which I believe is very popular with customers.

Highlander
February 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Because of the Scanner... Functionality... Honestly this software looks like what you would expect. Hell I am sure GM uses this software to tune their vehicles with the ability to use CAX Files.

Anyways... The scanner will make the world a difference. Customer support here is top notch and honestly... Future Proof. Not to mention that LICENSING is much MUCH more user friendly and MONEY friendly too.

joecar
February 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Don't let the $150 lower price fool you... :)

That's how the gov't buys stuff, from the lowest bidder.

Biodiesel66
February 14th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Don't let the $150 lower price fool you... :)

That's how the gov't buys stuff, from the lowest bidder.

And look at the mess the Government is in!

You won't be sorry with EFILive :cucumber:

Truckguy
February 14th, 2010, 02:50 PM
DMAX432

First I think you need to evaluate your use of the software and ultimately if you're willing to put forth the effort to truely learn it. If so, great. But don't discount the ease of calling one of the EFI Live gurus for a an awesome custom tune with DSP 5 capabilities.

If you think tuning is still in your near future all you need to do is a little homework and you'll see which choice you should make. Look at the forums for both. Look at the questions and their respective respones. Look at how often EFI Live support gets involved vs HP.

I own and tune with both EFI and HP Tuners on a daily basis through my shop and in my humble opinion EFI has the upper hand on diesel tuning. The DSP 5, Scanning capabilities and support after the sale should be enough to sway your decision. We tune a lot of LMM's and found HP to be utterly useless in terms of scanning data. The edge insight will data log more information that HP can for an LMM. NO JOKE... I've done it.. :)

Good luck with your decision!

GMPX
February 15th, 2010, 09:33 AM
DMAX432, You are probably aware of the various Diesel (Duramax) forums out there? You only need to spend a bit of time on them to realise that EFILive is by a mile the most popular product for custom tuning the Duramax.
There is fantastic user support on those forums, as well as our own support people and support by the vendors who sell our product. Many (if not all) of our resellers offer phone support and starter tunes when you buy EFILive. In fact this EFILive forum is not used by many of our users as they prefer to stick with the Diesel forums where the user base is much bigger.

It's hard for us to juggle resources between enhancing the software for both the Diesel and gas vehicles we support, but the Duramax does get a lot of our attention, it's not just added then forgotten about.

Cheers,
Ross

semperfidoordie
May 23rd, 2010, 01:59 AM
The reason you should buy EFI over HPT is because if you buy HP Tuners you will be spending the money all over again when you're unhappy with it on EFI

bballer182
May 23rd, 2010, 03:35 AM
I'll say it...

EFI Live is the best tuning suite for the D-MAX and gas HANDS DOWN!!! Take for example HPT doesn't offer DSP switchable tuning for the d-max or offer COS for the gassers.

Ask around on dieselplace.com

dieselplace is probably the biggest resource online for the D-MAX. I'm not saying that are a lot of geniuses over there, and you have to take what you read on that forum with a grain of salt. But for the most part it's a pretty decent place to learn stuff.

L31Sleeper
May 23rd, 2010, 06:28 AM
Andrew is right, even if HPTuner was better (we know it's not) you aren't
going to find anybody on here to promote it.

TFZ_Z06
May 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'm looking at sometime down the road to buy either.I like what I hear about EFI Live but the $800 vs. $650 and plus you can tune other makes with HP.I really won't get into tuning others.Myquestion really my be is it worht the extra $150?

Thanks

I'm surprised they are still in business after using some of the latest EFI stuff.
Since I upgraded from HPT to EFI, I have not looked back. I'm not kidding, don't waste your time on them. Just get the best now and be done with it. The package from EFI and the support from this site can not be beat.

GMPX
May 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks TFZ Z06, it's nice to get feedback like that.