PDA

View Full Version : Anybody run a tranny brake?

acomp917
February 22nd, 2010, 04:33 AM
Hello All,

I am interested in how a tranny brake affects the PCM. I might put one on my camaro, it will probably have a 4l80 in it. I have noticed the brakes for the 80 are full manual... not thrilled about that. Might cause an expensive 60 to be installed, not thrilled about that either.

Any information will be appreciated,
S

slow67
February 22nd, 2010, 07:11 AM
Hello All,

I am interested in how a tranny brake affects the PCM. I might put one on my camaro, it will probably have a 4l80 in it. I have noticed the brakes for the 80 are full manual... not thrilled about that. Might cause an expensive 60 to be installed, not thrilled about that either.

Any information will be appreciated,
S

I know Rossler has 2 automatic brakes for 4L80es, and I have a buddy working on another one.

acomp917
February 22nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks slow67,

I did find the Rossler piggy back. That system is no doubt good. I would rather not use a deep pan. I will have to cut a large amount of the tunnel to get the trans off of the ground(4l80 and lowered Cam). When your friend markets his, PM me.

I was mainly interested to know if the PCM goes crazy when engine torque goes way up and VSS does not or any other of the crazy combinations that could exist.

S

slow67
February 22nd, 2010, 08:01 AM
Thanks slow67,

I did find the Rossler piggy back. That system is no doubt good. I would rather not use a deep pan. I will have to cut a large amount of the tunnel to get the trans off of the ground(4l80 and lowered Cam). When your friend markets his, PM me.

I was mainly interested to know if the PCM goes crazy when engine torque goes way up and VSS does not or any other of the crazy combinations that could exist.

S

Yeah my buddy's will use a stock pan (I am his test mule :rockon:)

He already has a cheaper manual brake.

The PCM shouldn't have any issues as long as abuse mode is disabled.

joecar
February 22nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hmmm...

acomp917/Slow67, what car do you have and how big/fast is it...?

:)

slow67
February 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hmmm...

acomp917/S, what car do you have and how big/fast is it...?

:)

Mine is a stock weight F body. For now stock 5.3, soon to be turboed.

Not sure on how fast it is, right now a stock 5.3 is SSLLLLLOOOWWWW. :bad:
Lookin for high 6's in the 1/8 (after turbo) as it is my daily driver.

acomp917
February 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
joecar,

I have a toy camaro with a vortec lt-1. I'm thinking about changing the M6 autocross setup to a CI 6.0L, l92, turbo, auto, drag style setup. It will still weigh ~3600 lbs. It will just be a little faster for straight line use.

Last I ran it it was in the 12's at 121mph. The M6 and aluminum FW were a bear. It was like trying to launch a 3600# motorcycle. Fun on the street, just not very useful. The electromotive ECU is also not known for mileage(~10). Read: car is more crude than I thought it would be.

S

slow67
February 23rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks slow67,

S

Update....Most likely installing/testing the 'brake Friday night......:rockon:

joecar
February 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Keep us updated... :)

minytrker
February 23rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
I have ran many trans brakes in camaro's with ls motors but all with either th400 or glides. I also use a two step on all of them. I have never ran into a problem yet.

slow67
February 27th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Well you can feel the brake engage, but the band doesnt hold tight enough. Modifying/testing again tomorrow.

slow67
February 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM
HOLY SHEEET! This brake locks in/releases faster than any other Automatic 4L80 brake on the market!!!!! Havent compared the manual brakes, but it does work with manual setup too.

slow67
February 28th, 2010, 02:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZBZOamnh1E

Keep in mind we forgot to command max line pressure (it setup slower because of this) and we were commanding the solenoids thru the HPTuners (boooooo! I am saving up for EFILive as we speak :rockon:) scanner....on a direct switch and max line pressure it will setup and release even faster.....

Oh and the car is slow to react since its just blowing the street tires off :cheers:

joecar
February 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the vid...:cheers: