PDA

View Full Version : Error $0281....no data received

y2k2z28
March 3rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
Ok, I have had the program for a while and have been playing around with it logging via the laptop and learning the ins and outs of logging, reading them and setting all the dashdoards, pids and maps. I never tried to BBL until yesterday. So I down loaded all the latest stuff for RC4 then attempt to log. Get the error code $0281, but can still log via laptop.

Of course, I figured I screwed something up. Since I don't really have any tunes or anything really saved, I uninstalled everything and installed RC5. Set everything up as before and still get the error code $0281. I know I am missing something simple but just can not get it.

I have checked and the boot blocker and fireware did upgrade to the latest release...

Thanks in advance,
Darrin

ScarabEpic22
March 4th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Have you opened EFILive Scan and Tune then opened BlackBox Settings then selected your engine controller(s)? Then select PIDs and press the program button.

y2k2z28
March 4th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Yes, I configured it and then programed my selected PID's.

joecar
March 4th, 2010, 04:44 AM
What are the build numbers your the scantool/tunetool and on S&T/EE...? Are you at build 107 and 87...?

What is your V2 firmware version...? Is it 2.6.28...?

After flashing that firmware, did you format the [Config] and the two [Data] spaces...?

Did you program in the Settings.dat and Options.txt files...?

y2k2z28
March 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Joecar,

I completely unload all the EFI files and then reload from the RC5 thread. I then double checked the builds and firmware versions with the RC5 thread. I am away from the computer now but if those are the lateest versions then yes.

joecar
March 4th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Ok, I made Paul aware of your situation... from yesterday's beta testing he may (maybe) have more code in a day or two.

y2k2z28
March 4th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I don't think its a problem with the RC5 stuff. That why I made a new thread. I was having the same problem before the upgrade from RC4.

Blacky
March 4th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Which vehicle (i.e. which controller) are you attempting to log data from?

If you select an option that has a separate ECM and TCM (i.e. E38+T43) but you have a manual vehicle (i.e. if one of the controllers does not exist), then you will get a $0281 error. That is because FlashScan does not receive any data from the non-existent trans controller.

If that is the case, then either edit the setting to remove the trans controller or make a new entry with only the ECM specified.

Regards
Paul

y2k2z28
March 4th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I knew it was something easy that I just did not know about. Your example was spot on. I have 08 Vette with E38 and manual transmission. Now the question is how do I go about editing making the changes, making new entry?

joecar
March 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Go into the Scan&Tune software (S&T), select Black Box Settings, select the Scan tab, and for each pidlist (in the blue area in the upper left) do rightclick->properties and set the first controller to E38 and the second controller to none.

y2k2z28
March 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I did that. Then figured out that you can copy and paste the whole thing and then change it to ECM only.

Tested it and it works fine now. Thanks for all the help.

Darrin

frknlo
March 12th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for this post it also helped me out.

joecar
March 13th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Glad it helped...:cheers:

dmaxdan
October 5th, 2014, 04:44 AM
Hello, New to EFILIVE and I was having simular problems and getting the $0281 as well. So I went back and set it up with only the ECM as I had originally had both the ECM and TCM in there. Now when I try to read the stock tune off my truck I get a $0331. Any ideas where Im screwing this up? Thanks in advance!

dmaxdan
October 5th, 2014, 05:49 AM
Ok so....I went out this morning and pulled a lot of fuses (Listed below) and started trying again. This time I got the 0281 error again! So while sitting in the truck waiting on my 15sec to pass. I look over and realize my cell phone charger (no phone) and GPS are pluged into the CIG ligher and conv recp. The GPS was off but plugged in none the less. SO... I yank both of these and try again and....BINGO!!!! I cant believe I overlooked those yesterday, Boy do I feel like an ID10T. Well thanks for listening!

joecar
October 5th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Hey, we all learn something always :cheers:

Whipped383
April 7th, 2015, 01:52 PM
I to am having this issue. I will try the advice listed here and report back.

Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly tho, I have 2 trucks both of witch use the LS1B controller. One has no TCM (4l60E) the other truck has an Allison. So are the config files required for a TCM if I don't want to log anything from the TCM? And if so will this give me this error message on the vehicle with no TCM?

joecar
April 7th, 2015, 02:34 PM
If you're not logging (or do not intend to log) from TCM, then remove the TCM and any of its pids from the BBX config file... then you will no longer need any of the TCM config files.

Which vehicle (i.e. which controller) are you attempting to log data from?

If you select an option that has a separate ECM and TCM (i.e. E38+T43) but you have a manual vehicle (i.e. if one of the controllers does not exist), then you will get a $0281 error. That is because FlashScan does not receive any data from the non-existent trans controller.

If that is the case, then either edit the setting to remove the trans controller or make a new entry with only the ECM specified.

Regards
Paul

Dustin3500
October 22nd, 2016, 10:07 AM
I'm getting the same code on my 2004 c4500 lly.. what could it be it has no tcm tuner. It's the korey Willis tuner

cindy@efilive
October 22nd, 2016, 10:28 AM
I'm getting the same code on my 2004 c4500 lly.. what could it be it has no tcm tuner. It's the korey Willis tuner

From the error code list.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/cb06876af9cbf98b87dc51c5586e355b.png

Also check after market radios, cell phone adapters etc, that do not listen to silence messages on the data bus, and your cig. lighter fuse.

Cheers
Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dustin3500
October 22nd, 2016, 02:13 PM
It says that it's a E54 isn't that for the LB7 not the LLY? Or will it work for both

Dustin3500
October 22nd, 2016, 02:15 PM
It says that it's a E54 isn't that for the LB7 not the LLY motor? Or will it work for both motors

cindy@efilive
October 23rd, 2016, 11:08 AM
E54 is LB7
E60 is LLY

They are not interchangable. You must select the correct controller, or if using pass-thru functions, use Auto-Detect.

Cheers
Cindy