PDA

View Full Version : 4.3 vortec swap

Hatchetman
March 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I have a 1996 s10 blazer with a 4.3 vortec 262 motor. Its been swapped to a remanufactured motor. I am getting a correlation problem, when i come to a stop, the motor will stall. someone told me that i need to re learn the computer, but my efi V2 with the 7.5 software is not compatable. does this sound correct as to the fix, and if so, where can i get the reset done?
Thanks in advance

ScarabEpic22
March 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM
You need to have a Tech II do the CKP, crank position relearn. Or if you want to actually tune your truck, I would highly recommend doing a 0411 PCM swap (fullsize truck, F-body, Vette from 99-02) as it is a much better PCM than the 96-98 (and 99-00) BlackBox PCM.

Hatchetman
March 5th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I was hoping to tune the truck as it has a hotcam, aluminum gaskets, and all new parts. Does that pcm swap in with no hassle? i mean is it just a swap of the main computer console or is there more involved?
Thanks again

ScarabEpic22
March 5th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Yes, I would PM member Lextech as he has all the wiring diagrams setup already! It is a little more involved, other members have reported it takes a few hours (4-6ish) to re-pin the 96 harness for a LS1 PCM connector.

Check this thread out: 0411 PCM swap information (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10715&highlight=ls1+pcm+swap)

You swap the PCM from your 96 one to one you can easily find in the junkyard or online for less than $100. Buy EFILive and license it, then tune it just like you would a regular LS1! Plus you can run any of the free Custom OSs EFILive offers (ie for big cams, FI, N2O, etc).

CalEditor
March 8th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Let me know how it goes with the installer.

CalEditor
March 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have your wing nut

Hatchetman
March 8th, 2010, 06:13 PM
LOL yes you do, i will be by the dealership in the am to get it on my way out to the installer, i dont know the sites regs on posting addresses, but if your curious you can find crossroads speed equipment, somewhere outside charlotte, his resume is very impressive. and the hardware he sold me (reman motor) itself is in great shape. Ill let you know for sure. here is a pic before it was installed,

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/4015/02231111.th.jpg (http://img67.imageshack.us/i/02231111.jpg/)

# Starting at $995.00 ***MY PRICE 870 +install + battery +starter + cam sensor +other sensor (i forgot) +hotcam total was 2188.04

# Completely rebuilt including the following:

# Heads reconditioned(including resurfacing if needed)
# Block cleaned and bored
# Crank turned or polished
# Fully assembled (including intake and tin in many cases)

# Parts used:
# Federal Mogul Main & Rod Brgs.
# Durabond Cam Brgs.
# Sealed Power Pistons
# Hastings Rings
# Melling oil pump and Timing Set
# Fel-Pro Gaskets

The valve covers that were attached here were not mine, and are not installed, still having some computer issues but the motor seems great. will update as it develops

CalEditor
March 9th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I can alway get you a tune that will work in the current PCM.

Hatchetman
March 9th, 2010, 06:00 AM
On my way there now. Ill ask about it in person. Thanks!

Hatchetman
April 29th, 2010, 05:23 AM
After a full tuneup, and some maintenance we are still receiving error p0300 Random Cyl Misfire. The spyder injection kit has been replaced, the distributor cap has been replaced, the catalytic converter has been replaced and the motor runs fine, just sitting at idle for 15 mins and the error will come. Still working, any ideas let me know, Thanks guys

CalEditor
April 29th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Stop in and I will take a look at it with the Tech II.

joecar
April 29th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Leakdown test and block/coolant detector kit...?

CalEditor
April 29th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I think it was just #1 and #2 or just #2 that was misfiring. I can try and richen it up for him. He had a larger cam installed. I have JET, HPT and EFILive install on my work PC. If he still have the old VCM in it I can make some adjustments with JET.

It has been 2 months since I looked at it and when he left to go back to the installer I was thinking about the Cam and Fuel thing

Hatchetman
April 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM
when do you work next week? and what time is good 4 u?

L31Sleeper
April 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Well any GM dealer with a Tech II scantool can do a crank relearn, but
the Snap-On Modis scantool can do it as well, you are more likely to find
the modis at a small local shop than than the Tech II.

Edit: day late dollar short.

CalEditor
April 29th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Well any GM dealer with a Tech II scantool can do a crank relearn, but
the Snap-On Modis scantool can do it as well, you are more likely to find
the modis at a small local shop than than the Tech II.

Edit: day late dollar short.

1996 doesn't have CASE

CalEditor
April 29th, 2010, 11:36 PM
when do you work next week? and what time is good 4 u?

I think about 4:30 to 5 would work out. That would give me about an hour to look at it and maybe even make a few adjustments if needed.

I will PM you my #

joecar
April 30th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Keep us updated... :)

Hatchetman
May 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM
A few tweaks to the Air-Fuel mix and we trimmed out the misfire i think, still have to leave it running for an hour to check but after 15 mins no problems, Things are working well here now and from here we move to horsepower, thanks alot guys for all your help, see u in another thread

Hatchetman
May 24th, 2010, 07:42 AM
well heres the final post for this thread! After chasing and chasing and being lied too by my engine installer, we found the issue! When they replaced the distributor cap they didnt attach the rotor piece, it was just sitting in there spinning on its own, I have pictures of the damage done if anyone wants to see a truely wrecked dist cap, this has stopped the misfire (BIG SURPRISE!) and shes running like a top now! just working on the tune to bring out the horses now and loving it, Thanks for all your help guys!

ScarabEpic22
May 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Glad to hear you've got it running great now, bummer about the distributor cap though.

Hatchetman
May 24th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Yeah no doubt, worst part is, he broke the original causing problems, then didnt install this one correctly, i mean its like he doesnt know how to work a screwdriver :)