PDA

View Full Version : Log fuel pressure with Autometer sensor?

samh_08
March 8th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I know I seen someone logging fuel pressure from using the EGR or oil pressure connector, but I cant find it. I am installing a Autometer fuel pressure gauge (electrical sending unit) and want to wire everything up so I can also log it via EFILive.

Thanks,
Sam

redhardsupra
March 8th, 2010, 09:38 AM
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3661&highlight=logging+fuel+pressure

samh_08
March 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Perfect, Thanks RHS :cheers:. How do these Autometer sending units stack up in the accuracy department?

redhardsupra
March 8th, 2010, 10:20 AM
good question! I guess just bring 5 different brands fuel pressure meters, hook them all up, see how they compare. If they agree, great. if they don't, back to the drawing board.

samh_08
March 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
10-4. I didnt read through the whole thread you linked me (8 pages), but I looked at the .pdf and I do not have a EGR or the wiring connector in my harness (2005 pcm.)

Any other options other than connecting it directly to my V2 unit?

redhardsupra
March 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM
no clue, i don't do anything physical, i just crunch numbers ;)

paging Dr. TAQuickness...

mr.prick
March 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM
You can do what I did and add the pin to the PCM connector or
you can strip the very end of a wire and push it into the pin slot.
I did this before getting the pin and it worked.

Or you could use a 5v regulator.

samh_08
March 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Thats what I'll end up doing. Anyone know what size the terminals are for the PCM? I assume they're weatherpack terminals..

Is anyone running this with the gauge actually installed? To be clear, I want to have the gauge mounted in my car and also be able to scan via EFILive. I havent had time to figure out the wiring yet to see if that is going to be a problem..

mr.prick
March 8th, 2010, 01:58 PM
These are what you need for the LS1 PCM. (http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/109_130_131/products_id/497)
http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_thumb.php?img=images/CONN-56356.jpg&w=196&h=300&wx=300&hx=300
You can probably split the signal wire to both Flashscan and the gauge. :nixweiss:

samh_08
March 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the link, once again exactly what I need. :)

I was thinking I could split the signal wire as well but I am not sure. Does anyone know for sure?

samh_08
March 8th, 2010, 05:26 PM
How about a list of pins or PIDs that I could use for the PCM? Which ones would I be able to log just like the EGR way?

mr.prick
March 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM
That would use up a channel needlessly.
The blue connector has the exact same pin assignments for the 516k and 1mb PCM,
the green connector (1mb) has nearly the same pin assignments as the red (516k).
I'm not sure if the EGR signal could be logged with the 1mb PCM.

TAQuickness
March 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Since your PCM and calibration don't exactly match the tutorial, I'd look at bringing the FP thru one of V2's analog inputs. If you're hell bent on coming in thru the PCM, you'll need to identify an unused input, or an input you can live without, and a way to access that input thru your calibration.

As for splitting the signal, you should look into a 0-5vdc splitter/isolator. We use these frequently at work on 4-20mA devices. Cheap insurance to avoid equipment damage and/or signal loss.

samh_08
March 9th, 2010, 04:06 AM
TAQuickness - Could you give me an example of what I need to split the signal? If you use them at work, you know a lot more than I do about them.

As for going through the PCM, I have 'Fuel Rail Pressure (Gauge)' but it is X'ed out. I was also thinking I could use the oil pressure sensor wiring because I am using a mechanical gauge for monitoring that anyways. I just dont know if I can log it which is why Im asking for help ;).

Another thing I cannot find is the adaptor from -4an to 1/8" NPT....?

5.7ute
March 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Samh 08, another option is the aircon pressure sensor voltage wiring & pid. Unless you use the aircon that is.
I dont believe you will be able to use the oil pressure wiring as the PCM still uses this data for engine protection.

samh_08
March 9th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Good idea. I dont use the A/C, at least not yet. Would the A/C PID report the same as the EGR one does in the tutorial?

As for the oil pressure, I attached a screen shot of my available PIDs. I know the oil pressure PID is scanned in volts, but Im curious if I can make a custom PID that converts that to PSI for me..?

5.7ute
March 9th, 2010, 12:20 PM
You would just log the pid in Volts from whatever input you were using, then modify the calc pid to use that input instead of GM.EGRS
*CLC-00-001
PSI 0.00 100.00 .2 "({your input}*25)-12.5"

There is a calc pid somewhere for the oil pressure voltage into PSI/kpa, If I cant find it I will post up mine.

5.7ute
March 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Here it is
*CLC-00-210
psi 0.0 100.0 0.1 "{GM.EOPS} * 32 - 16"
kPa 0.0 700.0 0.1 "{GM.EOPS} * 220.6 - 110.3"

samh_08
March 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Perfect! Thanks for your time. :cheers:

Now if I could only find a -4an to 1/8" NPT adapter..? Im surprised Summit doesn't have such a thing.

P.S. - I was looking at your sig about your exhaust..What did you change in your exhaust system that gave you that difference in HP? :secret:

5.7ute
March 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I handbuilt the section between the Headers & exhaust from 3" mandrel bends.(still using the same 3" SS cats as before & 1 3/4 headers) And upgraded the rest of the exhaust with a 3" X force system. It used to have a 2 1/2" system with a crap press bent section between the headers & tailpipes. FWIW the car made around 10rwhp more with the 3" exhaust compared to none at all.
I also had difficulty finding a -4 to 1/8 adaptor. I ended up going to a hydraulic shop & found one with a 90 deg elbow swivel & have used that since.

samh_08
March 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM
So you gained 41RWHP from changing your exhaust from 2.5" to 3"? I have 2.5" from my headers on back, but I dont have any restrictive bends..

Anyways, I attached my sae_generic file (unmodified.) This is my first time customizing it so I would like to be taught the correct way one time.

How exactly would you enter the data you supplied in this file?

5.7ute
March 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I wouldnt put the info into the generic.txt file as it will be overwritten everytime you upgrade Efilive.
You want to paste the txt into your calc.pid txt file. I will do it shortly for you so you can compare. Just got to get rid of a customer.

5.7ute
March 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Actually, can you post up your calc.pids txt file? I dont have a blank one on this computer & mine is crammed with heaps of stuff that will make it way too confusing.

5.7ute
March 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Found one. This is the txt with only the calc fuel pressure & oil pressure pids.

5.7ute
March 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Oops. disregard that last txt file & use this one. There was an error in the units.

samh_08
March 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Thank you very much! There's a little more involved than I thought there was..

Can I rename it to Fuel rail pressure (calculated) without messing up your work? Im also curious why you have 'conditions-oil' under system when all other similar ones are just 'conditions'? Probably makes no difference, but who am I to say..

So in order to be able to log this I need to:
1) Wire the sensor to the oil pressure sensor wiring (I believe I only need to wire the signal wire from the sensor to the oil pressure sensor signal wire from the PCM because my gauge is supplying the 5v and ground)
2) Log both engine oil pressure (volts) and the calc PID you made?

5.7ute
March 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Thank you very much! There's a little more involved than I thought there was..

Can I rename it to Fuel rail pressure (calculated) without messing up your work? Im also curious why you have 'conditions-oil' under system when all other similar ones are just 'conditions'? Probably makes no difference, but who am I to say..

So in order to be able to log this I need to:
1) Wire the sensor to the oil pressure sensor wiring (I believe I only need to wire the signal wire from the sensor to the oil pressure sensor signal wire from the PCM because my gauge is supplying the 5v and ground)
2) Log both engine oil pressure (volts) and the calc PID you made?

You can rename it to whatever you like, it wont mess anything up.
I didnt quite get what you were trying to do so that is all a bit wrong. (I thought you wanted to read your actual oil pressure which is a different scaler to the autometer guage as well as a different wiring system for fuel pressure)
If you are wiring the fuel rail pressure sensor through the engine oil pressure sensor wiring you will need to log the GM.EOPS pid & use this calc.pids txt file.
I renamed it for you.

samh_08
March 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Once again thank you for your time and efforts. My Autometer gauge and sender will be here tomorrow so I will keep everyone posted.

Sam :cheers:

samh_08
March 11th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Well I have to wait for that damn adapter fitting to get here... for those interested in getting one, here is the link: http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MFF0001

Beware of high shipping costs :bad:

Anyways, I got my fuel pressure gauge and my harness ripped apart and noticed my oil pressure connector plugs right into the Autometer sender. Now the question is, which 5V and ground should I use? The gauge's or the PCMs?

I assume I would use the gauges, but does that mean I only have to tap the 'signal' wire from the oil pressure wiring into the purple 'signal' wire to the gauge? I hope that makes sense :hihi:.

samh_08
March 22nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks again 5.7ute. I just got everything installed and done in my car and the custom PID you made works prefect.

All I did was solder the 'tan/white' oil pressure wire from the PCM into the purple 'signal' wire from the gauge wiring. The gauge and PID both read identical!

Sam :cheers:

joecar
March 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Cool... :rockon:...good job...:cheers:

5.7ute
March 22nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Good work.:fluffy: Hopefully not getting the correct oil pressure info to the pcm won't cause any problems.

macca_779
March 23rd, 2010, 05:40 AM
Good work.:fluffy: Hopefully not getting the correct oil pressure info to the pcm won't cause any problems.

I can't see why it would as I believe the US models never had it to begin with.

samh_08
March 23rd, 2010, 05:58 AM
I have ran it from day one with a mechanical oil pressure gauge instead of a electrical one. Jess from wait4me told me that my PCM doesn't use the oil pressure for anything but sending data to the instrument panel. Not saying that if he says something it must be true, but I myself have found no ill effects.

joecar
March 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
Y-body: PCM reads oil pressure, PCM sends it to IPC.
F-body: IPC reads oil pressure, PCM doesn't.

samh_08
March 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Update: All is well with my setup other than the CALC PID is very erratic compared to the gauge. The gauge shows a constant 58psi while the PCMs output jumps up and down.

Is there any way I can dampen it a bit to show an average? Im sure the PCM is just reading the fuel pressure much faster than it was meant to be read...

5.7ute
March 30th, 2010, 04:33 PM
You can use the damp() function. I have added the calc pids txt file with the damp function set to 6 frames. You can raise or lower this value to get your desired result.

samh_08
March 30th, 2010, 04:39 PM
:hihi: You have all the answers dont you? Good thing I woke up this morning, learned something new.

Thanks again for your help :cheers:.

5.7ute
March 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM
:hihi: You have all the answers dont you? Good thing I woke up this morning, learned something new.

Thanks again for your help :cheers:.

No worries.
Check out page 93 in the scan tool help file. It gives a list of all the functions you can use in a calculated pid.

5.7ute
April 5th, 2010, 03:19 PM
How did this go samh_08?

samh_08
April 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Well, the calc PID and damping work very good. Only problem is, I am finding that my fuel pressure isn't very consistent.

I really dont see why I am having problems with my setup when other people running the same gear and power levels have none. I drop to about 53psi at WOT with a initial drop to 48psi....:bad:

5.7ute
April 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Well, the calc PID and damping work very good. Only problem is, I am finding that my fuel pressure isn't very consistent.

I really dont see why I am having problems with my setup when other people running the same gear and power levels have none. I drop to about 53psi at WOT with a initial drop to 48psi....:bad:

I have to run a surge tank in mine to stop this problem. Have you considered something like this for yours?

samh_08
April 5th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Now that you mentioned it I have been searching around, but I just assumed no one else that actually tunes vehicles dropped off a little pressure at WOT.

Can you elaborate on how the surge tank works? How much pressure did you drop off?

5.7ute
April 5th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Now that you mentioned it I have been searching around, but I just assumed no one else that actually tunes vehicles dropped off a little pressure at WOT.

Can you elaborate on how the surge tank works? How much pressure did you drop off?

Mine drops a few psi at WOT, even with the surge tank. But the initial launch was where mine had a major pressure drop until the surge tank was fitted.
The standard 3/8 lines can also only flow so much fuel, so running larger fuel rails for the injectors can also help slightly with the initial hit.
The surge tank works by having the factory pump fill this secondary tank from the main tank, which has a higher flow fuel pump like one or more Bosch 044 pumps, racetronix etc installed to it. The return from the regulator also goes to this tank & any overflow is then returned to the main tank. This prevents the fuel pump that supplies the engine from picking up any air from fuel surging away from the pump inlet. I have even heard of some running a slight pressure in the surge tank (around 1 psi), to help prevent cavitation at the pump inlet.(and quieten the 044's) Though you would need to be very careful doing this, as only a few psi will cause a tank to rupture unless made out of very thick material.

samh_08
April 5th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the explanation :cheers:

How much pressure are you dropping off and how do you tune around the drop?

5.7ute
April 5th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the explanation :cheers:

How much pressure are you dropping off and how do you tune around the drop?

I just let the VE table take up the slack when running SD. Since the high map/rpm cells are only hit under the WOT condition it doesnt affect any other areas of the tune. Not really the correct way but it will keep things safe.
If you were running a maf however, you would have to account for the pressure loss in the IFR table.(since maf frequency is not based on load)

samh_08
April 5th, 2010, 05:26 PM
So changing my IFR for the pressure loss is the wrong way to go about it? Currently I am shaping my VE table via CLSD. I do not have a MAF sensor. So what would be your recommendation for tuning around this for the time being?

Kind of off topic, but I just read the whole 'using 14.047 for desired AFR and not 14.63' and realized I only have E10 in my area. Half the thread talked about changing to EQ or Lambda, and the other talked about stoich of E10 (14.07?) My question is, if I were to switch to EQ or Lambda, which one would I be better off getting to know and use? I obviously currently use AFR and have 14.68 in B3601..:shock:

5.7ute
April 5th, 2010, 05:39 PM
It really depends on when the pressure drop is happening. If it was any time you were in a high map(low manvac) area you would adjust it in the IFR table. If it was a supply issue at high map/ high rpm the VE table will take the slack. Or you could do a combination of the two. Though at the end of the day, getting the fuel pressure constant at all rpm/manvac is the only real fix.
EQ is the easier one to learn IMO since a value greater than 1.0 is rich, lower is lean. There is a quick spreadsheet I put on here that will give you your actual wideband AFR reading compared to the different fuels that may help. (unless your wideband lets you program in the stoich value of the fuel you are using)

mr.prick
April 5th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I suggest using commanded EQ instead of commanded AFR for reference.
I posted about some weirdness with the {GM.AFR} PID.
Commanded AFR ≠ {B3601} (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=13124&highlight=gm.afr)

You can still use gasoline AFR (14.7:1) for reference when using other fuel blends
as long as EQ is set up properly, although it would be more confusing IMO.

I think a lot of people take for granted the default output expressions that
WBO2 manufacturers publish with their product.
If the AFR value for {B3601} (EQ1) in the PCM does not match
the WBO2's stoich AFR there will be some error.
I made a thread on how to remake a calc_pid expression for any analog WBO2 that doesn't have the ability to change the output and
give a few examples of the possibility for error in BEN factor.
How to match WBO2 output to {B3601} (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=13229)

samh_08
April 6th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Im switching everything over to EQ, but I ran into a snag with my PIDs.

Here is a screenshot of my problems with my EQ PIDs. Once again, Im sure its something easy Im overlooking..

mr.prick
April 6th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Select it anyways then navigate thru the V2 or in S&T to the serial WBO2 settings and
get them set if they aren't already.

Sometimes PIDs are not valid until you start a log, its a quirk that I've learned to live with. :sneaky:

joecar
April 6th, 2010, 02:28 PM
In S&T, under Device Settings, goto tab F6: BBL (Logging) and checkmark this:

Automatically select ALL external digital (i.e. serial) PIDs.

samh_08
April 6th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Joe, is this a way to get the EQ PIDs to validate, or just a way to log them all no matter what?

Being that I was tuning for 14.63 as stoich, how far off was my whole tune if I actually had E10 in the tank? Also, will the narrowband o2's still be just as accurate at maintaining 14.12 as they are at 14.63?

joecar
April 6th, 2010, 03:07 PM
If you enable their logging in V2 BBL (see posts 51 and 52) then they will just be there...

(Validating pids is mainly for discovering pids that the PCM provides... the WO2 pids are provided by V2).

E10 has a different stoichiometric AFR... there's a couple of threads regarding this... I'd have to locate them.

joecar
April 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM

Sometimes PIDs are not valid until you start a log, its a quirk that I've learned to live with. :sneaky:I have found this also.

mr.prick
April 6th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Joe, is this a way to get the EQ PIDs to validate, or just a way to log them all no matter what?

Being that I was tuning for 14.63 as stoich, how far off was my whole tune if I actually had E10 in the tank? Also, will the narrowband o2's still be just as accurate at maintaining 14.12 as they are at 14.63?

Like I said sometimes a few PIDs are invalid until a log starts,
there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for this. :confused:
All external PIDs are valid no matter what, even if they are X'ed out.
The serial PIDs need to be defined in S&T then programmed or manually set in the V2.

For your second question, it depends more on what the AFR value for Lambda1 for your WBO2.
With analog connection Lambda is converted into AFR with the slope intercept formula and with serial connection it depends on what is programmed in the WBO2 controller.
We can't define what serial AFR is w/the V2 I already asked. :hihi:

If 14.63={B3601}and 14.7=Lambda1 the difference is 0.7+/-
It does not matter what is in the tank because Lambda is constant,
meaning when the fuel is neither rich nor lean Lambda=1.00

{B3601} should match or be as close as possible to the stoich AFR defined by the WBO2,
don't change one and not the other if you use AFR for reference.
Innovates stuff has the ability to manually set this for the other WBO2's you will need to make a calc_pid for a different stoich value.
Sorry for http://smiliesftw.com/x/deadhorse_1.gif

samh_08
April 6th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Well I have a LC1 using a serial connection so I know I can program that accordingly. Modding the calc_pid file to accommodate for this is something I am unsure of though..

To clarify, if I were to go back to CLSD after my VE tuning, would the narrowbands keep me at whatever I set B3601 to (assuming the PCM in commanding stoich?) Im curious because I know narrowband o2 sensors are designed to be most accurate around 14.7..

Thanks guys :cheers:

5.7ute
April 6th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Well I have a LC1 using a serial connection so I know I can program that accordingly. Modding the calc_pid file to accommodate for this is something I am unsure of though..

To clarify, if I were to go back to CLSD after my VE tuning, would the narrowbands keep me at whatever I set B3601 to (assuming the PCM in commanding stoich?) Im curious because I know narrowband o2 sensors are designed to be most accurate around 14.7..

Thanks guys :cheers:

Narrowbands are accurate at an EQ of 1.0. They dont care what the AFR is.
From what I have read & can work out. The commanded fuel tables in the PCM are stored as EQ. The PCM looks up the commanded fuel table in EQ. Adds whatever modifiers are enabled & (multiplies/divides) this value by B3601 to calculate the fuelmass to be injected.
If B3601 is not accurate to the stoich AFR of the fuel you are running, autoVE will give you inaccurate airmass estimation tables. As well as erratic control over fuelling when enrichment modifiers are added.

Edit. {B3601}/commanded AFR looks better

samh_08
April 6th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Narrowbands are accurate at an EQ of 1.0. They dont care what the AFR is.
From what I have read & can work out. The commanded fuel tables in the PCM are stored as EQ. The PCM looks up the commanded fuel table in EQ. Adds whatever modifiers are enabled & (multiplies/divides) this value by B3601 to calculate the fuelmass to be injected.
If B3601 is not accurate to the stoich AFR of the fuel you are running, autoVE will give you inaccurate airmass estimation tables. As well as erratic control over fuelling when enrichment modifiers are added.

Edit. {B3601}/commanded AFR looks better
Why do we use widebands then? :) If narrowbands are accurate at an EQ of 1 and we say EQ of 1 = 12.6AFR, would they still be accurate?

Correct me if Im being a tard, its late here :hihi:..

5.7ute
April 6th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Why do we use widebands then? :) If narrowbands are accurate at an EQ of 1 and we say EQ of 1 = 12.6AFR, would they still be accurate?

Correct me if Im being a tard, its late here :hihi:..

Your not being a tard, it just takes a bit to get your head around.
A narrowband can tell when all the fuel & oxygen has been consumed which is a stoichiometric (sic) condition, or EQ of 1.0. Different fuels need a different ratio of fuel to air to meet this condition.
For example normal pump fuel needs approximately 14.7 parts of air to 1 part of fuel for a stoichiometric condition. Whereas lpg needs 15.5 parts air to 1 part fuel for the same condition.
This is the narrowbands limit however & can only tell you if the mixture is at, or richer/leaner than stoich. A wideband can tell by percentage how much richer or leaner the mixture is. The software in the sensor control then converts this to an AFR to make it easier for you to understand.
This chart may help. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12996&highlight=afr
Once you start using anything other than pump fuel you are better off trying to think in EQ or lambda. I prefer EQ.

mr.prick
April 6th, 2010, 05:46 PM
How Wideband Sensors Work (http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/news3.php)

All {B3601} does is give an AFR value to EQ1, like Mick said the PCM uses EQ.
{B3601} is the only table that I know of that is only visible in AFR all the rest can be seen AFR, Lambda or EQ.
I pretty sure it's only use is for the {GM.AFR} PID.

You could put any random number in {B3601} and tune to it as long as your WBO2 Stoich AFR is the same and PE EQ is appropriate.

The easiest thing to do is set {B3601} to whatever you want then program the LC-1 to match as closely as possible.
With {B3601}=14.63 and LC-1=14.7 BENs aren't that far off >1/2%,
nothing to get all wee weed up about. :hihi:

Here are some calc_pids to convert serial EQ into AFR based off {B3601} & commanded AFR based off {GM.EQUIVRATIO}&{B3601}.
In the expressions change 14.628573 into whatever you have in {B3601}

joecar
April 6th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Correct me if Im being a tard, its late here :hihi:..As long as 12.6AFR was the stoichiometric AFR of the fuel you're using...

:)

joecar
April 6th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Here's my current calc_pids.txt...

. . .

*CLC-00-001
AFR 9.63 19.63 0.4 "14.628573 / {GM.EQIVRATIO}"
EQR 0.5 1.5 0.4 "14.628573 / {GM.AFR}"

*CLC-00-010
EQR 0.5 1.5 0.4 "{GM.EQIVRATIO} / {EXT.WO2EQR1}"
LAM 0.5 1.5 0.4 "{GM.EQIVRATIO} * {EXT.WO2LAM1}"

. . .
I normally log GM.EQIVRATIO and I use CALC.AFR to convert it to AFR for my stoich 14.63.

When I view other people's logs who logged GM.AFR, I use CALC.EQR to convert that to EQR
(assuming they're stoich is 14.63 like mine; if not then I edit this to their stoich AFR).

For my serial BEN, I use CALC.BENS1.EQR or CALC.BENS1.LAM, they both produce the same thing.

I set the tunetool to display fuel tables using EQ units.

samh_08
April 7th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Its all coming together...slowly :). I completely understand what was meant when you said narrowbands are accurate at stoich (different fuel types will measure the same at their point of stoich.) This would probably explain why my plugs looked slightly lean after letting the narrowbands trim my fuel at idle. They were tuned to think I had straight gasoline in the tank..:doh2:

Anyways, Im trying to learn all about these calc_pids and I would like someone to check over my setup to see if I have everything in place. If I understand correctly, I set everything up in the tune and wideband to EQ but actually still view the measured mixture in EQ, AFR, or Lambda? So there is really no disadvantage to going to EQ is I was used to AFR..?

joecar
April 7th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Sam,

That is correct...
- you view your tune file in EQR,
- you log GM.EQIVRATIO,
- you view your log with GM.EQIVRATIO (for the tune) and CALC.AFR (for sanity check).

No, there is no disadvantage to going to EQR... there are some advantages.

I fixed up your calc_pids.txt, something was wrong in it... copy it in, start the santool, and for each of those 5 pids do rightclick->More info and make sure the equations are shown.

joecar
April 7th, 2010, 05:02 AM
My calc_pid.txt in post #63 uses a trick for CLC-00-010 and CALC.BENS1..

the real units should be factor, but I wanted to have two different equations for the same CLC, so I artificially specified units of EQR and LAM (which are technically incorrect since a BEN has units of factor)...

this trick lets me have one calc pid with two different equations depending on units selected).

. . .

*CLC-00-010
EQR 0.5 1.5 0.4 "{GM.EQIVRATIO} / {EXT.WO2EQR1}"
LAM 0.5 1.5 0.4 "{GM.EQIVRATIO} * {EXT.WO2LAM1}"
. . .

CALC.BENS1 F010 CLC-00-010 "EQR,LAM" WO2-Serial "BEN Serial Wideband 1"
. . .

mr.prick
April 7th, 2010, 05:05 AM
NBO2s see EQ/Lambda so it doesn't matter what was in the tank.
What matters is your PE ratio. (X.XX% of EQ1/Lambda1)
EQ/Lambda are constant & AFR is user defined from EQ/Lambda.

When EQ/Lambda=1.00 AFR is what ever your stoich AFR is.
It can be 14.7 or 9.7 because 1.00 is neither rich nor lean regardless of what fuel is being used.

samh_08
April 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I fixed up your calc_pids.txt, something was wrong in it... copy it in, start the scantool, and for each of those 5 pids do rightclick->More info and make sure the equations are shown.
I think I know what was wrong with my calc_pids..I modded the spacing so that it looked nice and organized. I guess the coding doesn't like me to change the spacing?

This is kind of off topic, but...I was curious if there was some way I can hide the PIDs I never use. I know I can hide unsupported PIDs, but there is a lot of other PIDs I would like to hide.

samh_08
April 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Is this all I have to do as far as programing my LC1 for E10 and using EQR? (Pic attached)

mr.prick
April 7th, 2010, 09:25 AM
All you need to do to use EQ is select the {GM.EQUIVRATIO} & {EXT.WO2EQ1} PID.
What you are are doing in the post above is changing the stoich AFR in the WBO2,
this is the number that WBO2 Lambda will be multiplied by.
That number should match {B3601}.

joecar
April 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I think I know what was wrong with my calc_pids..I modded the spacing so that it looked nice and organized. I guess the coding doesn't like me to change the spacing?

This is kind of off topic, but...I was curious if there was some way I can hide the PIDs I never use. I know I can hide unsupported PIDs, but there is a lot of other PIDs I would like to hide.

Thanks :)No, it wasn't spacing... spacing just helps me see it clearer (I told my editor to convert tabs to spaces and align everything)

It was this: CLC-00-010 specified units of EQR, but CALC.BEN_EQR1 specified units of factor (the units have to be the same).

(I can see where you got that, which is why I made a comment above regarding the little trick I used)

Technically the BEN is unitless... i.e. it is a factor.

[ I can do calc_pids.txt stuff in my sleep :hihi: ]

pullincrazy88
April 12th, 2010, 04:51 AM
will this work for my turk through the egr? it's a 2000 k-series with the 7.4 vortec running the 411 swap on cos3. would be using an AEM fp guage.