PDA

View Full Version : Persistent security light

vortecfcar
March 8th, 2010, 09:29 AM
'01 LB7 running 15094441 operating system on my roadrunner, cannot get the security light to go out.

Theft parameters are all disabled/zeroed.

Have done the rr reset sequence with no luck.

Any ideas?

Nick

GMC-2002-Dmax
March 8th, 2010, 01:12 PM
you have to do a "HARD RESET"

start the truck, have it running, toggle between the emulation icon and the flash icon, truck will stall.

key it off and then start it up again once you toggle back to the emulation icon again.

it should go out.

LB7 RR's do not have a flash chip.

I have had one for over 4 years and it sometimes will do that on different trucks.

:)

vortecfcar
March 9th, 2010, 01:45 AM
you have to do a "HARD RESET"

start the truck, have it running, toggle between the emulation icon and the flash icon, truck will stall.

key it off and then start it up again once you toggle back to the emulation icon again.

Followed these instructions several times with no luck. Truck did shut off in the process, and my oil life went to zero, but the security light is still full-on while driving.

I also tried this method with no success:

did you try a hard re-set?

1) Connect the Roadrunner, and turn the vehicle ignition on or power the PCM on the bench. The PCM must be powered up for this to be effective.

2) Open up the software, and get the EFI Live Roadrunner Control Panel. Make sure the Roadrunner serial number is being displayed.

3) Upload the whole new Operating System and Calibration from the PC *.tun file to the Roadrunner device.

4) Select the "Execute from PCM Flash Memory (if equipped)" option (two chips with arrows in between). This will turn the Roadrunner emulation 'off' in order to blank out the PCM RAM when the memory read faults. The software should display 'Flash' as the mode of operation.

5) Re-select the button, this time selecting the 'Emulation' mode of operation.

6) Turn the key or power to the PCM off, wait 10 seconds, and turn it back on.

7) If you like, at this point you can open the EFI Live ScanTool software (make sure cable is connected and vehicle is on). You will probably want to scan for codes and DTCs, and clear them all as appropriate.

8) Start the vehicle briefly (1-2 seconds) and then shut power back off. This is primarily to reset the idle relearn, so it typically not an issue with the drive-by-wire configurations.

9) You should now be able to restart the PCM and vehicle, and things should work as expected if you are using a valid *.tun file.

The truck starts, runs and drives fine. All roadrunner functions appear to work.

Any more ideas?

Nick

ChipsByAl
March 9th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Maybe the truck has a security problem? Does the security light go out with the stock ECM? You can always ignore it.
Al

vortecfcar
March 9th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Security light goes out with the factory ECM using the same .tun and O.S.

I would ignore it, but it's large and obnoxious. :)

mr.prick
March 9th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Have you tried a VATS re-link?

vortecfcar
March 9th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Have you tried a VATS re-link?

I have explored that option, but I'm not able to access the ECM through the OBD2 port, I get a message saying the ECM is secured with a custom key (have tried Alt Keys). I don't know if Moates uses a custom key or if this error is related to nature of the RR.

Nick

mr.prick
March 9th, 2010, 05:45 AM
:doh2:
That's right some of the OBDII options are limited with the RR.
The VIN and BCC match right?

vortecfcar
March 9th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Check it out...

GMC-2002-Dmax
March 10th, 2010, 12:10 AM
This may work,

Do not connect to the road runner with the USB, leave it not-connected.

Open the scan tool, connect to the road runner with the scan tool, use the chip icon to see what the VIN# is, RE-VIN the RR via the OBDII connection.

Then reset the oil life to 100%.

If that does not work try full flashing a different OS, maybe a 2003 or 2004 in while the truck is running, more than likely it causes a stall condition.

Then re-install the 2001 OS.

I have had to be creative over the years to get the security light off, usually a power interruption does it.

vortecfcar
March 10th, 2010, 02:37 AM
If that does not work try full flashing a different OS, maybe a 2003 or 2004 in while the truck is running, more than likely it causes a stall condition.

Then re-install the 2001 OS.

After doing this, the light went out. Success. :cucumber:

Thanks for the help guys,

Nick

GMC-2002-Dmax
March 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
GOOD !!!

:cucumber:

Mitco39
April 6th, 2012, 05:23 AM
I am having the exact same issue with an 02 LB7. The truck will not respond to any of these methods to try and remove that light. I tried full flashing with a running truck but it just kicks the V2 out (I am guessing something was changed in the new updates to keep people from accidently flashing with the engine running). I tried everything in this thread (Vats Relearn, disabling it, turning it back on and doing the old school vats relearn). It happened when I changed from the buggy 6853OS to the 6006OS. I am at a loss as to how to get the light off, it is on a customers truck who is faced to stare at it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mitch

GMPX
April 6th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Mitch, you can't flash with the truck running, that's not an EFILive thing, it's a GM thing, it's always been that way, the ECM won't let you.
With the LB7 security issue, what is the history behind how it's got this way?

Mitco39
April 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I had the truck come to me completely stock with the 6853OS, I read it out of the truck to confirm that it was stock. I had issues with the 6853 a while ago so I proceeded to take a tune of the tune file depot to flash the truck. I converted it to a dsp5 and populated the tables like I have done many many times. I proceeded to flash the truck and everything went great (flashed using EFI live V8). The truck started and ran otherwise awesome except the security light kept blinking while we went for a test drive. About halfway through the drive (10 mins in or so) the blinking light went solid. I tried to do a vats relearn as well as reprogram the VIN into the truck. I got no errors and everything otherwise seemed to be fine, however everytime from then on the security light would come on and stay on regardless of what I did. I also tried to flash with the V7.5 thinking this may be the issue with no luck. I did talk to nick and he suggested trying an OS other than the 6006. I am going to meet with the customer tomorrow to try that. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

mitch

GMPX
April 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Can you perhaps please re-read the tune that is in there now and make sure the VIN still looks valid, if not then that would indicate that portion of the ECM has been corrupted (the VATS codes are stored there too).
The LB7 ECM is a touchy beast, a similar thing happens when they are flashed with TechII, but as for the solution I am not sure.

Mitco39
April 6th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I will do that tomorrow and let you know. I will also flash back in the original tune that the ECM had and see what that yields me.

Thanks,

Mitch

Mitco39
April 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM
So I met up with the customer again. I read out the tune and the vin was as it should be, nothing looked out of place or otherwise wrong. I tried flashing in the 9044OS and the truck would start but again the light would stay on. I also tried returning to his original OS but the security light stayed on and this time the change oil level indicator would blink as well. I put the 6006 back in it and gave the truck back to him.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,

Mitch