PDA

View Full Version : 1968 C10 5.3L LMG no start?????

tk-mpl
March 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hey guys, have been a lurker for quiet a while but now need some help.

I am building a 68 chevy c10 with a 2007 5.3L/4L60 powertrain. Everything is in and wired up. It turns over but does not start. I have no spark and no noid. At a lose right now and could use some help. I have EFI Live for the tuning, but a friend of mine does the tuning. We turned off the Vats, but still no noid or spark...
Trevor

joecar
March 13th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Trevor, welcome to the forum...:cheers:

Check if you're getting a CKP signal (does RPM show a value on the scantool while cranking)...?

GAMEOVER
March 14th, 2010, 02:10 AM
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=12344&highlight=E38+start
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=10888

tk-mpl
March 14th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I have a crank signal, you can see it on efi scan tool. The only thing I really have to go on is a p0615 and p0690...

tk-mpl
March 14th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I have seen alot of people say that vats won't let it crank. I don't know if this is right but on my truck the bcm relays the start request through GM LAN network. I don't have a BCM so I just wired the starter relay enable right to the crank circuit off of the ign. switch. I don't know how to show the PCM a starter request to be able to use the pcm to enable the starter relay.

Trevor.

still no spark and no noid?????

ChipsByAl
March 14th, 2010, 05:12 AM
You should still have a spark output. What kind of harness are you using? Is it a factory harness that is modified or an aftermarket one? For a quick check, unplug one of your coil/modules and test for grounds at terminals "A"& "B". Then check for 12 volts power on terminal "D" with the key on and during cranking.
Al

tk-mpl
March 14th, 2010, 05:37 AM
It is a modified , by me, stock harness. I do have power and ground with key on and power while cranking. How do I test the out put from the pcm??

tk-mpl
March 14th, 2010, 09:02 AM
If I shut off p0615 so it isn't looking for the starter relay circuit do you think that will work..

gmh308
March 14th, 2010, 09:57 AM
If I shut off p0615 so it isn't looking for the starter relay circuit do you think that will work..

That seems to depend on the OS.

You can check the activity of coils and injectors with the EFILive scan tool.

Do you have power to pin 19 & 47 (switched) & 20 (full time) on the ECM body connector J1?

tk-mpl
March 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I checked at the injector connector. I have power with key on and power while cranking, but a noid light will not flash while cranking.. same with the coil..

tk-mpl
March 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
injector or coil data does not change on scan tool while cranking.

tk-mpl
March 14th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I preformed a "full" reflash with vats off and still no start.

tk-mpl
March 15th, 2010, 05:59 PM
just reviewing my tune file and noticed the it was a type 2 vats patch. Should I try to reflash it as a type 3..
Trevor

GMPX
March 15th, 2010, 11:11 PM
2 or 3 should work, either one sends the ECM down the right path.

I thought even with the VATS still active, the engine will fire briefly, like 1/4 of a second just to let you know, yes everything is ok but I am not going to allow this engine to keep running.
I also thought the request to crank was a discrete input not a GMLAN message (I think the discrete input is J1-52, but I don't know that is 100% correct). I confess, that is beyond where I normally deal with so I am not sure. The ECM does seem to get grumpy when the starter relay output is left open circuit (J1-67).
Maybe post up your file too.

tk-mpl
March 16th, 2010, 05:05 AM
there is got to be a way to tell the pcm to start other then the GM LAN message from the bcm...... Is this PCM in an older vehicle that may not need a GM LAN message and has like a 12 volt input to the pcm to start...

Trevor

gmh308
March 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
2 or 3 should work, either one sends the ECM down the right path.

I thought even with the VATS still active, the engine will fire briefly, like 1/4 of a second just to let you know, yes everything is ok but I am not going to allow this engine to keep running.
I also thought the request to crank was a discrete input not a GMLAN message (I think the discrete input is J1-52, but I don't know that is 100% correct). I confess, that is beyond where I normally deal with so I am not sure. The ECM does seem to get grumpy when the starter relay output is left open circuit (J1-67).
Maybe post up your file too.

Just for fun some OS's use J1-67, others J1-52. Seems J1-67 is earlier, J1-52 later. Vegasrobbi has had success with a resistor in circuit so it looks like it expects to see some idle current to ground.

And to make it just a little more perplexing even some OS's that use this J1-52 crank relay control will start on the second crank and some wont.

Will give it a shot this morning and report back.

Unfortunately the request to crank is generated via the BCM which the ign switch connects to. There are no wired inputs in relation to this so can only assume it is one of those functions like cruise control that has disappeared into the mysteries of the GMLAN.

tk-mpl
March 16th, 2010, 09:38 AM
what do you mean by J1-52..... connector 1 terminal 52..

GMPX
March 16th, 2010, 10:33 AM
What about the GMPP standalone E38/E67, what do they use for crank request?

gmh308
March 16th, 2010, 11:11 AM
what do you mean by J1-52..... connector 1 terminal 52..

Yes the body connector. J1/X1/C1. The 73 pin item with including the larger ground terminal.

Getting a relay coil on pin52 certainly seems to see the engine kick more, but not run as Ross mentions. Battery is dead now....:shock: back into it after a charge.

gmh308
March 16th, 2010, 11:19 AM
What about the GMPP standalone E38/E67, what do they use for crank request?

They dont use a crank request. Direct connect to starter motor from key or key/crank relay.

tk-mpl
March 16th, 2010, 02:41 PM
so do you think I could tune it so it doesn't require a crank request...

gmh308
March 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Got the battery charged back up and ran through the options again:

With:

C1/J1/X1 pin 52 grounded via a resistor or relay coil +

VATS disable patch +

Type 2 VATS

= Normal start = success ?

Remove resistor/coil from pin 52 = no start.

VATS 1 setting with resistor/coil on pin 52: Fire and stop (great anti theft defeater if we could switch this via COS.)

The pin 52 relay check current is around 180uA.

Ran a 1kOhm resistor and it was AOK.

Have tested a couple different '08 OS's as well as an '09 and there are '08 OS's that start without pin 52 taken care of. Second kick anyways from ECM cold boot.

06's don't seem to be so fussy but they use C1/X1/J1 pin 67 for the crank signal.

gmh308
March 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM
They dont use a crank request. Direct connect to starter motor from key or key/crank relay.

And there is no connection to the crank relay pin C1 56 (or maybe C1 26...who knows what GMPP pinouts really are.) :doh:

tk-mpl
March 16th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I find it hard to believe that putting a 100ohm resistor inline to ground on a "output" circuit is going to help.. I have put a test light on that circuit to see if anything was coming out of there and nothing was coming out of there.

Trevor

gmh308
March 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I find it hard to believe that putting a 100ohm resistor inline to ground on a "output" circuit is going to help.. I have put a test light on that circuit to see if anything was coming out of there and nothing was coming out of there.

Trevor

The ECM diagnostics are "always" checking to see if everything like sensors, controls, relays, voltages, connected is within spec so it can raise an alarm (fault code) if it is not. I dont know about these ECM's, but there are corporate type communication systems out there that have 60% of their software code dedicated to checking up on and managing the system itself and keeping it stable, and only 40% actually doing anything that makes a difference to users.

You are correct that nothing is coming out, as it is usually 12V current limited to ~180 micro amps. This is not even enough to make most LED's say hello.

If you measure between that pin and ground with a hi impedance digital multimeter there is likely 12V there. These meters normally do not load a circuit and have at least 1Meg Ohm input resistance, maybe 20Meg ohm.

A 12V signal will switch on with enough power to run the relay when the ECM gets the crank request from the BCM. (Which it wont in this case.)

If that is the pin that P0615 monitors in your OS then you may find it likes the right amount of current trickling out of it. It may even work with the pin grounded but thats a long shot. Usually they are smart enough to know when they are shorted.

Trust that helps!:)

tk-mpl
March 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I was getting a p0615 before I deleted it... At this point I don't care if I don't understand it, I will try it anyway.. Should I turn that code back on before I groundd that circuit..

When you are doing a vats disable does it matter what the settings are at when you disable it..(G1204-G1216)

tk-mpl
March 16th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I am wondering if this is the same thing.. Most people are have problems with just no noid. I don't have either spark or noid...
Trevor

gmh308
March 16th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I was getting a p0615 before I deleted it... At this point I don't care if I don't understand it, I will try it anyway.. Should I turn that code back on before I groundd that circuit..

When you are doing a vats disable does it matter what the settings are at when you disable it..(G1204-G1216)

Just G1201 = 2 or 3 per the help info. 2 worked here. 1 gave false starts as Ross/GMPX mentioned.

GAMEOVER
March 16th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Good info!!!...:thumb_yello:

VEGASROBBI
March 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Here are the settings I ended up with, starts every time for the last year. I tried several resistor values and it didn't seem to matter as long as there was sufficient continuity. Simply grounding the wire also worked; however, I felt better mimicking the relay coil value I measured. It was the P0615 code that steered me to the relay.

Parameters Value
{G1204} VATS Enable No
{G1205} VATS Auto learn Enable Yes
{G1206} VATS Required To Run No
{G1208} VATS Fail Diagnostic Enabled
{G1209} VATS Mode No
{G1210} VATS Type Type 2
{G1211} Remote Start Allowed Yes
{G1214} Relearn Count 1.000000 Counts
{G1215} Relearn Timer 600.000000 Seconds
{G1216} Theft Relearn Password Yes

tk-mpl
March 17th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Did you have spark before you grounded the starter relay control circuit.

VEGASROBBI
March 17th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Yes, I had spark: would run if I added external fuel.

Do you have a valid Park/Neutral signal, TCM working?

tk-mpl
March 17th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I can read the TCM cause I saved the stock file.. Haven't figured out how to display trans data or codes...... Did not have a P0700 in the PCM, so there shouldn't be any trans codes..... If there is no park input it would just disable the starter though.. Should still have spark..

Trevor

gmh308
March 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Like Vegasrobbi says, the scantool shows the coils running, but no injectors on.

If you have pin 52 grounded/through a resistor but have no P/N connection, then try grounding the P/N line from pin 1 on the C1 connector. That never got in the way here and have never needed to go into detail on it but as always different OS's seem to do different stuff.

tk-mpl
March 17th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Well when I get home I guess I have a few things to try..

Vegasrobbi, I am currious as to how you wired your starter up..

joecar
March 17th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Like Vegasrobbi says, the scantool shows the coils running, but no injectors on.
...I'm following along... which pids show the coils...?

VEGASROBBI
March 18th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Well when I get home I guess I have a few things to try..

Vegasrobbi, I am currious as to how you wired your starter up..

The wire coming out of the Toyota ignition switch, which is energized in the crank position, goes to an old style Chrysler starter relay (firewall mounted). The other side of the relay trigger is grounded. Power comes from a fusible link off the battery and the relay output goes to the starter solenoid.

My ECM powers up the Powertrain(PTR) relay and Fuel Pump relay(FPR), I felt it was important not to bypass those. When I turn on the key the ECM energizes the PTR and the FPR for a few seconds to build fuel pressure.

I agree with gmh308, the ECM is constantly checking systems, even before start up. In a swap like we have done the ECM needs the essential feedback's. Is your ECU controlling the FPR, PTR, is it set to variable speed fuel pump....?

tk-mpl
March 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
My ign switch in the 68 was a direct feed to the starter solenoid, so I just used that to energize the starter relay.. I didn't use the powerrtrain relay because I used a fuse block from current perforance and it had all the feeds. I have all the power feeds and thee pcm does ground the PTR feed coming out the pcm, I don't use it but it is functioning.. I get the fuel pump prime and That is PCM controled..

Trevor

VEGASROBBI
March 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I suggest you set it up as gm308 posted earlier. Check all the power and grounds at the ECM connectors while connected and cranking (by backprobe or wire tap). Be especially sure any pins labeled as "battery" or "hot at all times" remains hot during crank. Also check all grounds at both the ECM and TCM by voltage drop method under load (cranking). Also do a voltage drop between the engine, body, frame and battery. Most early Chevy's used a resistor or resistor wire to drop voltage to the coil, do not power any circuts with it.

Crank the engine several times, then scan for codes. Scan all modules available. Record all codes wether they be P***, B***, U***, etc.

I would hope it will throw a code that will give some direction.

tk-mpl
March 21st, 2010, 05:38 PM
So I did as you guys suggested. I grounded the starter relay enable circuit and put a relay inline to ground on the powertrain relay circuit and still NO START... Still have no spark and no noid..... I have check all powers and grounds. Even pulled the starter relay and checked everything in the "crank" position and it was all there.... AAAWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try any tomarrow I guess.
Trevor

gmh308
March 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
So I did as you guys suggested. I grounded the starter relay enable circuit and put a relay inline to ground on the powertrain relay circuit and still NO START... Still have no spark and no noid..... I have check all powers and grounds. Even pulled the starter relay and checked everything in the "crank" position and it was all there.... AAAWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try any tomarrow I guess.
Trevor

mmm....very frustrating !

A few things...

Does your ETC/throttle work? i.e. power on it clicks on and then with the pedal it operates the TB from idle to WOT and back and then with no activity goes to sleep after 5 - 10 sec?

And: scan for crank rpm and cam rpm. If there is no cam rpm it wont fire up and the cam sensing is pretty fussy about its pulse train before it will get started the first time.

tk-mpl
March 22nd, 2010, 05:48 AM
I have crank rpm and cam pulse..

everytime y turn the key the throttle cycles.

VEGASROBBI
March 22nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
Any codes?

gmh308
March 22nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
I have crank rpm and cam pulse..

everytime y turn the key the throttle cycles.

Does the throttle body operate open/closed with the pedal?

And do you have cam pulses or cam rpm. You can have cam pulses but not rpm. No rpm = no start.

tk-mpl
March 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
what about brake switch input... That is the only thing I can think of that I don't have..

tk-mpl
March 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Does the throttle body operate open/closed with the pedal?

And do you have cam pulses or cam rpm. You can have cam pulses but not rpm. No rpm = no start.

The cam sensor pulse count increases while cranking and I have engine rpm.. could not find cam rpm in pid selection. Throttle works 0-100%

tk-mpl
March 22nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I still got nothing....

gmh308
March 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
The cam sensor pulse count increases while cranking and I have engine rpm..

FYI - I just DL'd your tune from the other thread: 5.3LMG A4 12614088 OS disabled VATS flashed it in to an ECM and it started up.

Did you put the cam in as you were originally thinking about?

tk-mpl
March 23rd, 2010, 01:41 AM
FYI - I just DL'd your tune from the other thread: 5.3LMG A4 12614088 OS disabled VATS flashed it in to an ECM and it started up.

Did you put the cam in as you were originally thinking about?

No, stock cam. Only mods are long tube headers and CAI

What am I missing????

tk-mpl
March 23rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Should I try another ecm... I have an E38 out of my 2008 silverado. Or would that wreck something.... Can I flash it to my 68

gmh308
March 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Should I try another ecm... I have an E38 out of my 2008 silverado. Or would that wreck something.... Can I flash it to my 68

Well you have two choices. Its either ECM or wiring. Would recommend you do check the "CAM RPM" via Black Box Logging to satisfy yourself that the cam and crank are in synch. Just cam pulses probably wont tell you this.

You could try your 08 Silverado OS, or the Silverado ECM with VATS disabled.

tk-mpl
March 24th, 2010, 04:46 AM
how do you do "black box logging"?

GAMEOVER
March 24th, 2010, 04:58 AM
how do you do "black box logging"?

Data Log using the V2 FlashScan only....

tk-mpl
March 24th, 2010, 05:29 AM
when I try to do that it sayes no pids selected?? do yo need a SD card for that??

turbo_bu
March 24th, 2010, 05:46 AM
No, there's ~ 2 MB of internal memory in the V2. You can just use that. You might need to create / update a PID group for your ECM to include CAM RPM though.

tk-mpl
March 24th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I "validated pids" and cam rpm still doesn't show up..

ScarabEpic22
March 24th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Do you have the latest V8.1.2 software installed? Open EFILive Scan & Tune, click Black Box Settings, uncheck the boxes next to the controllers you wont be using (since you're not using a SD card Id recommend only leaving the entry for your current car). If your ECM/TCM combo is not selected, clear all the checkboxes and press the red button to clear, then double click the first blank entry and select your ECM/TCM setup. PIDs will appear on the right hand side, simply find the ones you wish to use and double click them. Press the red Program button and the proper files will be transferred to your V2.

tk-mpl
March 24th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Cool, I will have to update and then try...

tk-mpl
March 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Sorry, that took awhile to figure out... I do have cam rpm..... I also checked every pin in both ecm conncector and they are all right and all in the right spot......

???

I think it is still that the PCM doesn't have a "crank or start request"

gmh308
March 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Sorry, that took awhile to figure out... I do have cam rpm..... I also checked every pin in both ecm conncector and they are all right and all in the right spot......

???

I think it is still that the PCM doesn't have a "crank or start request"

Ok that all looks good from that angle then.

With the crank relay pin C1 67 on the ECM grounded or through a resistor or connected to a relay then to ground plus VATS disabled do you still get no coil or injector status as "on" or "off" when cranking?

Fuel pump primes ok for 2 sec at key on?

tk-mpl
March 25th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Yep, I have done everything you described and still no spark and no injector pulse

VEGASROBBI
March 25th, 2010, 04:28 AM
When you applied the VATS patch was it a full OS flash or just a calibration program?

Any codes?

tk-mpl
March 25th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Full OS flash and no codes.... Tried my PCM from my 08 and it did even flare up and die... No spark either

VEGASROBBI
March 25th, 2010, 05:51 AM
What year/make and model is the donor engine from? What is the 8th of the VIN?

tk-mpl
March 25th, 2010, 06:13 AM
It is out of a 2007 tahoe new body style... RPO LMG 8tg digit is O

gmh308
March 25th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Full OS flash and no codes.... Tried my PCM from my 08 and it did even flare up and die... No spark either

Did or did not flare up and die with the 08 ECM? Did you VATS disable this?

Are you not getting any DTC's/codes?

You should be getting quite a few based on your tune.

tk-mpl
March 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
The 08 pcm DID NOT flare up at all. I didn,t disable vats, but is should of had spark and started and died.... I went in and deleted evap, post O2, and all the other crap I don't need.. I may have done that after I posted that tune

gmh308
March 25th, 2010, 10:56 AM
The 08 pcm DID NOT flare up at all. I didn,t disable vats, but is should of had spark and started and died.... I went in and deleted evap, post O2, and all the other crap I don't need.. I may have done that after I posted that tune

"...should have hard spark and started and died..."

No VATS disable = no fire.

tk-mpl
March 25th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I am going to disable vats on my 08, turn the ign. to run and then jumper the starter relay... I betcha it won't start...

gmh308
March 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Yep, I have done everything you described and still no spark and no injector pulse

Was this with scanner or noid/looking for spark on a plug?

I am going to disable vats on my 08, turn the ign. to run and then jumper the starter relay... I betcha it won't start...

OK. Never seen one not start here unless the ECM was faulty or the wiring was incorrect/bad or incorrect grounds.

Did you check at all for pressurised fuel in the rails?

ChipsByAl
March 25th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Something else to test. Disconnect the cam sensor and make sure you still have RPM signal. I had one that caught the RPM from the cam sensor and made me think the crank sensor was ok, it wasn't.
Al

gmh308
March 25th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Something else to test. Disconnect the cam sensor and make sure you still have RPM signal. I had one that caught the RPM from the cam sensor and made me think the crank sensor was ok, it wasn't.
Al

Good point!

tk-mpl
March 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM

I have a spark tester one #2 plug wire and a nois light on #2 injector..

I have 60ps1 fuel press.

checked all grounds at pcm and in harness.. Have power and ground at coil with key on and while cranking, and have powerr at injector...

ChipsByAl
March 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM
This was with a scan tool.

tk-mpl
March 25th, 2010, 11:46 AM
unpluggeed cam sensor and still have engine rpm.. viewed by black box date list..

gmh308
March 25th, 2010, 11:55 AM

I have a spark tester one #2 plug wire and a nois light on #2 injector..

I have 60ps1 fuel press.

checked all grounds at pcm and in harness.. Have power and ground at coil with key on and while cranking, and have powerr at injector...

Would recommend that you use the scan tool to look at coil and injector status. This will tell you the ECM's view of the world. i.e. if the status of coils and injector controls are switching to "ON" when cranked and you are still not getting any fire, that the problem is more likely outside the ECM likely wiring/coil/power/ground/fuel issues. Injectors/coils can be DOA or faulty from take outs.

If the control status for injectors/coils is staying "OFF" then the ECM is clearly getting hung up on something.

Something also worth looking at if the ECM is being a b.tch is the voltage on C1 - 33,34,36,56 and C2 - 2,3,41,43,44 to chassis/engine ground which should all be 5.0 volts.

tk-mpl
March 25th, 2010, 12:03 PM
coil and injector status does not change on EFI scan tool selected pid list

ChipsByAl
March 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM
What about the ECM service #, does it match the OS that you are using? Sorry if that has been asked already.
Al

gmh308
March 25th, 2010, 01:03 PM
What about the ECM service #, does it match the OS that you are using? Sorry if that has been asked already.
Al

Another good point Nawlins Al. :)

To stuff that OS in it will need to be a 12597121 or 12612384. An earlier one might work but SOL on anything later.

Also once the VATS is done on the 08 and it starts it can be plugged right in to the LMG for a check.

tk-mpl
March 25th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Not sure what the "service #" is, but the OS is 12614088

ChipsByAl
March 25th, 2010, 02:55 PM
The service number is located on the backside of the ECM and is the part number.
Al

VEGASROBBI
March 25th, 2010, 03:15 PM

You should have a label on your ECM with the service #. I'm also running OS 12614088 from a 2007 Tahoe 5.3, here's my tune.

gmh308
March 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM

On the back of the ECM there is a white sticker with bar code and numbers. What are the 8 digit numbers on it?

GAMEOVER
April 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Did tk-mpl ever get it started?

tk-mpl
April 4th, 2010, 03:24 PM
No, just got back from work and I got a virus on my laptop... I was going to try the tune posted by VEGASROBBI and see if that works... I have exhausted everything else...

GAMEOVER
April 5th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Man that sucks....I was just curious because I'm about to embark on another 2007 5.3ltr motor swap-conversion

tk-mpl
April 5th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Is it a old bodystyle truck or new bodystyle (donor truck).

GAMEOVER
April 5th, 2010, 05:36 AM
New body style, I did a swap of the same type motor(58 tooth reluctor) into a Jeep Wrangler and i could never get it started. Owner was pretty upset with me but we ended up removing motor and installing 6.0 from 05' Denali...:unsure:
But I never tried the power relay or starter enable relay tricks. On this motor I'm gonna try a corvette manual tune before I try anything else though.

tk-mpl
April 5th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I even tried both starter relay circuit and powertrain relay tricks and nothing

tk-mpl
April 5th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Well I loaded that other tune and it fired right up... Scare the sh@t out of me (open headers)... Now I want to know what the difference is between the two.. Is this other engine DOD, and if not how do I change my tune to work...

Thanx alot guys........... Still have ?'s, but am very happy..

GAMEOVER
April 5th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Well I loaded that other tune and it fired right up... Scare the sh@t out of me (open headers)... Now I want to know what the difference is between the two.. Is this other engine DOD, and if not how do I change my tune to work...

Thanx alot guys........... Still have ?'s, but am very happy..

Which other tune?

ChipsByAl
April 6th, 2010, 01:07 AM
All E38's are not created equal. You have to have the correct program for the particular part number ECM! That is why I asked what was the service/part number on the back. If the ECM did not come with the program you loaded into it, you may run into the problems that you had.
Al

tk-mpl
April 6th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I loaded tje tune that VEGASROBBI posted.. It had the same operating sysyem, but is a "M" engine and mine is a "O"

VEGASROBBI
April 6th, 2010, 04:01 AM
In the Tune software open up the LY5 tune I sent. Then open up your LMG tune for comparison. Hit the red two sided arrow button to show the diferences between the tunes.

You should be able to update the differences required. Set AFM/DOD to "no", check the fuel and spark tables, etc.; leave the VATS stuff alone.

You could also do it the other way, open the LMG tune and update the VATS stuff from the LY5 tune.

I found between the LH6, LY5, and LMG the tunes are almost identical except for some state calibrations, i.e. Air Pump, EGR, etc..

tk-mpl
April 6th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Ok, I haven't done the "load file for comparison" yet, but will try it.. I wided the engine up to keep the DOD active so will want that turned on..

VEGASROBBI
April 6th, 2010, 04:20 AM
As a side note on DOD; originally I ran it with SBC mounts and a Flowmaster muffler, it was so annoying I tuned it out.

Recently we pulled the muffler off a 09' Silverado AFM so I installed it along with the LH6 hydraulic motor mounts (about 4 times the size of the SBC) and what a difference. I have to look at the scanner to know when IM in 4cyl mode now.

tk-mpl
April 6th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Why was it annoyinh, just the change in tone? I heard that spirl tech muffler sound good..

VEGASROBBI
April 6th, 2010, 04:36 AM
A vibration like you had a dead cylinder accompanied by a nasely exhaust tone; like a Honda with a glasspack.

tk-mpl
April 6th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Does it go into 4 cyl. mode while idling at all. I am using SBC mounts and I noticed that the header is hitting the cross member.

Had it running for about an hour today and no problems.. The cooling fan sure draws alot, drops engine rpm when it cuts in... No codes other then O2 sensor 2 and evap crap that I will delete.

Trevor

VEGASROBBI
April 7th, 2010, 03:58 AM
It won't go into 4 cyl. mode at idle; however, you can command it on with the Scan tool.

turbo_bu
April 12th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I loaded tje tune that VEGASROBBI posted.. It had the same operating sysyem, but is a "M" engine and mine is a "O"

Were you able to determine if the tune wasn't correct for the ECM (mismatch between tune and actual E38), or if there were some differences in the tune it self (something enabled / disenabled)?

tk-mpl
April 12th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I haven' had a chance to closely compare the two. Took a quick look and isn't a lot of difference between the two. When I get back home I was hoping to look further into them.

tk-mpl
June 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Well I actually got to drive it the other day...... Just went down the block and turned around, it hit second gear so that is a good sign. First time it has seen day light in 6yrs....

gmh308
June 24th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Well I actually got to drive it the other day...... Just went down the block and turned around, it hit second gear so that is a good sign. First time it has seen day light in 6yrs....

Great to hear! And so what was the problem that stopped it from starting?

GAMEOVER
June 24th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Great to hear! And so what was the problem that stopped it from starting?

I'm curious too...

tk-mpl
May 28th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Its been awhile guys, but still working on the 68.. I am hoping to get it finished up this year and drive it. Have been really busy trying to get the rest of the truck done... Anyways, haven't actually ran the truck very much, and noticed that it is not charging. Originally it had that battery monitoring thing wrapped around the battery cable. I did not have that to put it in so it is not wired in at all. Will it not charge with out this thing????? Can you tune it in to charge with out that module??

Thanx
Trevor