PDA

View Full Version : Erratic AFR/voltage in EFILive

Alex99
March 22nd, 2010, 04:01 AM
Hi all,
I have come across an issue with EFILive and my LM1 after I switched to a new laptop.
I am getting a very stable and consistent voltage signal from my LM1 through the cable (3.5mm jack) into my V1 interface.
When I turn on the Flashscan I get a very erratic and unstable voltage on the screen that swings widely (+/- 1.5+ volts)

Since I have changed computers and with my old laptop I can't recall having these issues I was wondering what is going on.
Are there any settings that I might have missed in EFILive that control these swings?
Currently I have all three cables (red, white,ground) connected in the orange connector that goest into the interface. Since I get a good and stable voltage from the I would suspect that the issue lies somewhere else.
I also log AD1 and AD2 but both are swinging the same.

I need to do some AutoVE but can't do so until I get the AFR readings right.

Thanks
Alex

joecar
March 22nd, 2010, 04:45 AM
Hi Alex,

How is your LM-1 wired to the vehicle...?

Are you powering your laptop from the vehicle...?

Do you also get this when you do BBL logging with you V1 (i.e. with no laptop)...?

Post a log file.

Alex99
March 22nd, 2010, 05:53 AM
Hi Joecar,
The LM1 is powered through the cigarette lighter.
The laptop is running on its own batteries.
The LM1 is not separately grounded.
I get the same AFR swings with BBL.

Here is one recent log w/ laptop and one w/ BB

Thanks
Alex

joecar
March 22nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
Questions:
- where is the LM-1 grounded...?
- what have you got connected to pin D (signal ground) of FlashScan V1...?

joecar
March 22nd, 2010, 06:19 AM
Something seems wrong with a ground connection.

Alex99
March 22nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
Well I thought it is grounded through the cig lighter plug or the O2 sensor in the exhaust. It was never separetely grounded, but worked before.
Which is Pin D on the V1? Do you have a picture or description? Is it the unshielded ground cable that comes from the 3.5mm jack? If yes that is connected to the middle port of the orange connector that goes into the V1.
Is there a specific way to ground the V1?
Again, the measured voltage at the orange connector and the displayed AFR values on the LM1 display are very constant.

Alex99
March 22nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
I jsut looked at the LC1 tutorial to find out which Pin D is. It is the middle port as I suspected.
In order to ground this correctly, what should I do?
Right now the ground cabel comes from the LM1 jack into the Pin D. Should I just get a second wire that goes from Pin D to a common ground (cig lighter)? I would leave the ground wire from the jack cable still connected to Pin D right?

Chuck CoW
March 23rd, 2010, 06:00 AM
Hi all,
I have come across an issue with EFILive and my LM1 after I switched to a new laptop.
I am getting a very stable and consistent voltage signal from my LM1 through the cable (3.5mm jack) into my V1 interface.
When I turn on the Flashscan I get a very erratic and unstable voltage on the screen that swings widely (+/- 1.5+ volts)

Since I have changed computers and with my old laptop I can't recall having these issues I was wondering what is going on.
Are there any settings that I might have missed in EFILive that control these swings?
Currently I have all three cables (red, white,ground) connected in the orange connector that goest into the interface. Since I get a good and stable voltage from the I would suspect that the issue lies somewhere else.
I also log AD1 and AD2 but both are swinging the same.

I need to do some AutoVE but can't do so until I get the AFR readings right.

Thanks
Alex

Alex.....

Buy a V2 and get a serial cable from TAQUICKNESS!

I suffered with voltage swings and huge tuning problems using analog. Some guys say it works for them, and it might....

But, I have to wonder...."HOW DO THEY REALLY KNOW it's working accurately or just LOOKS LIKE it's working???"

My guess is that half of them "THINK" it's good when it's really not.

Don't take a chance. The serial will eliminate 100 hours of frustration the very first time you use it.
Chuck CoW

Alex99
March 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Update:
I grounded the V1 as I explained in my previous post and it seem to lessened the swings considerably. Please have a look at my log to confirm that the minor swings I have now are normal.
I guess this was the culprit so I can now go forward and figure out the voltage offset to dial in the actual AFR vs. the AFR in EFIlive.

joecar
March 23rd, 2010, 09:45 AM
That seems better... the EXT.AD1 voltage seems yo follow your commanded AFR...

but: the CALC.AFR_LM11 pid seems incorrect, it ranges from 20-25 AFR...

have you reprogrammed your LM-1 for a different AFR range...?

Run the LM Programmer utility from Innovate and see what your LM-1 is programmed to output (i.e. what AFR's do 0V and 5V equate to...?).

Alex99
March 24th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I have reprogrammed my LM1 before the log to the LC1 specs to get a higher resolution in AFR:
0.88333 Volts at AFR: 10.00
4.21667 Volts at AFR: 20.00

I recently learned that the V1 goes only to 4.8V so I chose these specs instead of the standard LM1 specs
I changed the sae_generic file accordingly.

Could there be anything wrong with the pid itself?

mr.prick
March 24th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Your AFR PID needs to be based off {B3601} for BEN factor to be correct.
Check the fuel settings in the LMProgrammer software.
When was the last time you calibrated the sensor in free air?

joecar
March 24th, 2010, 06:26 AM
In calc_pids.txt you need to base your AFR equation on those end points (post #11)...

i.e. you can use CALC.AFR_LM11 and CALC.BEN_LM11.