PDA

View Full Version : OS upgrade... from 12593555

wayneosan
March 22nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Does this not have an option for a 2bar OS?

Thanks

wayneosan
March 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
8.1 litre and a blower. I am ready to put it on the dyno, but then didn't see an option for a 2bar system.

Tordne
March 22nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
It looks like there is supposed to be a COS series 051300xx for your OS. I can't see the actual .tun or .calx for this Os series, and I've left a message with Ross to confirm existence...

wayneosan
March 22nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
that's what I thought, but this is my first time and I have the PDF "how to upgrade to custom OS" open, but when I open the .tun file I want to upgrage and go to "select custom operating system", I don't see an upgrade option.

Tordne
March 22nd, 2010, 12:26 PM
Oh, the LS1 COS updates don't work through the Upgrade OS tab in the calibration.

I've just been speaking with Ross and unfortunately I have to advise that that OS is not going to be supported, and should not have been included in the Custom OS Upgrade documentation.

wayneosan
March 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
wow. that sucks. so, I have a built motor, blower, and need another actual ecu? I have a 2bar sensor installed and the scalar set and it runs, but, haven't strapped it down to dyno it.

what do you guys reccomend?

Tordne
March 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Is the motor still in the stock truck or is this a custom car? If you want to run a COS the only thing you might be able to do is change the OS in the PCM with one that has a COS available.

wayneosan
March 22nd, 2010, 12:39 PM
this is a custom truck, but it still has the stock engine computer.

I was wondering if I could just load some kind of other OS.
I looked on the holden site and was nervous about loading up one that won't work with the 8.1 litre and the allison transmission.

are you guys able to load the tune I attached?

Tordne
March 22nd, 2010, 12:48 PM
The controller hardware is standard and can be reflashed with any OS intended ro run o that physical hardware. Your PCM is a 1MB LS1 PCM so you could load perhaps this file (http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/TuneFileRepository/Stock/GMC/2004%20GMC%20Sierra%20Truck%20Automatic%20L18%208. 1%20Litre%20(12587603).tun) which has a matching COS series 040730xx.

What you'd do is copy each table from your calibration across to the new one, then full flash it into the PCM.

wayneosan
March 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
I have downloaded and begun the flashing. We'll see in a few minutes how she goes.

I tell you, if I got flashed as many times as these ecu's, I'd be a happy man.

wayneosan
March 22nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
ok, I flashed that file, now how do I upgrade that OS?

joecar
March 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
wayneosan,

Did you full flash in 12587603...?

Read the attached doc, it specifically mentions 12587603 -> 040730xx in the OS table on page 4.

wayneosan
March 22nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
I flashed it in. I don't see any tables that are greater than 105kpa.
I don't see an option to upgrade that OS either.
Not really sure what to do.

Tordne
March 22nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Just follow the tutorial closely as it does go though the process completely.

Before you do anything you really need to be assured that you have been through and copied the tables from your original tune to the new one.

Basically to do the COS update you do the following:
- Full flash the COS operating system
- Cal flash the calibration from the OS# 12587603 tune
- Read out the PCM and save; this will then become your working file with the COS and calibration mated together
- Make modifications to the COS tables as desired
- Cal flash the changes

joecar
March 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Also, fix any out-of-range cells in any of the Axxx custom tables.

wayneosan
March 22nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
thanks. I'll try again when I wake up. It was like a light bulb. Let me see, for redundancy sake, 1. load the 12587603 file because my original OS won't allow for an upgrade; 2. then flash the upgraded OS from my computer that matches. 3. then I'll have to (only in this instance), hand load my parameters and ensure there are no zeroed or WHACKED out tables.
Is that it in a nutshell?
What I kept tripping on was the custom os's. I didn't realize I had them myself. duh.

joecar
March 22nd, 2010, 07:21 PM
Basically to do the COS update you do the following:
- Full flash the COS operating system
- Cal flash the calibration from the OS# 12587603 tune
- Read out the PCM and save; this will then become your working file with the COS and calibration mated together
- Make modifications to the COS tables as desired
- Cal flash the changes

The blue part is where you have to hand copy your tables from your old file.

Some notes:
- when you full flash the COS into the PCM, the COS has all the tables zeroed (empty);
- that's why a cal flash is required, to fill in all the tables;
- after doing both steps (full flash followed by cal flash), read the PCM and save to file;
- that read/saved file will now be your working file, from now on you edit this file;
- in your working file, look at all the custom tables (A0000-A9999), fix any out-of-range cells;
- out-of-range cells have blue dog-ear corners; edit sane values into all of these, and save file;
- now copy the tables from your old file: open a second instance of the tunetool on the old file...
- when copying tables over, use copy-with-labels and paste-with-labels to avoid mis-pasting;
- when finished copying tables over, close the old file instance of the tunetool;
- now remember to save file;
- now cal flash to the PCM.

:)

wayneosan
March 23rd, 2010, 02:29 AM
yes, yes.

I see said the blind man. The part that I kept missing was where I had to go to the folder "custom os"

I would go there and try to modify, or what not before I loaded them in to my ecu. Nice. Some thought went into that because they must have met someone like me before. :)

Anyway, I'll have results and possibly a dyno graph shortly. Loading custom os now.

wayneosan
March 23rd, 2010, 03:04 AM
hehe...

joecar
March 23rd, 2010, 04:07 AM
Let us know how you go... :)

wayneosan
March 23rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
How do I get the scan tool to always read metric

joecar
March 23rd, 2010, 07:59 AM
Edit -Properties->Options->Preferred Units.

Also, on the PIDs tab, do ctrl-A to highlight all pids, then do rightclick->Metric, and close the scantool.

wayneosan
March 23rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks. :)

One more, in HP tuners I want to log desired idle; I can't seem to get it to jive here. It doesn't look like it's a supported parameter.

I'm also trying to find a setting that has to do with timing; going from park to drive it goes to "minimum spark advance setting" then back to "in gear" setting. still trying to find post in forum as well about it. Does this ring a bell?

wp

joecar
March 23rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
wp,

You mean this pid: GM.IDLEDES...?

On the pids tab, click on the column heading "Caption" to sort by that column...

then scroll down until you see IDLEDES in the Caption column... double click on the row to select the pid.

jc

joecar
March 23rd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Look down the [sorted] Caption column until you see pids named EST_xxxx...

EST = Electronic Spark Timing...

Are EST_IDLE_DMA and EST_BASE_DMA what you're looking for...?

On some pids you can go rightclick->More Info to get a description of what they do...

Paul is over time filling in the descriptions of the ones that don't have more info.

wayneosan
March 23rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
wp,

You mean this pid: GM.IDLEDES...?

On the pids tab, click on the column heading "Caption" to sort by that column...

then scroll down until you see IDLEDES in the Caption column... double click on the row to select the pid.

jc

dang. I was selecting idle in the drop down and it isn't there, but doing an ALL search in alphabetical order is where I found it. geez. I've got three days on this, so bear with me. thanks, Mr.

wayneosan
March 23rd, 2010, 10:26 AM
Look down the [sorted] Caption column until you see pids named EST_xxxx...

EST = Electronic Spark Timing...

Are EST_IDLE_DMA and EST_BASE_DMA what you're looking for...?

On some pids you can go rightclick->More Info to get a description of what they do...

Paul is over time filling in the descriptions of the ones that don't have more info.

so, I was looking at a tune from my 02 vette. I saw a place where this could have been an issue. I have solved it. :) no more dropping down timing between P/N/D changes. "I remember now" comes to mind.

wayneosan
March 23rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
I went to parameters in the scanner and set it for metric. it still always opens in imperial.

joecar
March 23rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Yes, just set it to All.

joecar
March 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
so, I was looking at a tune from my 02 vette. I saw a place where this could have been an issue. I have solved it. :) no more dropping down timing between P/N/D changes. "I remember now" comes to mind.How did you fix it...? :)

joecar
March 23rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
I went to parameters in the scanner and set it for metric. it still always opens in imperial.On the PIDs tab do this:

highlight all pids (ctrl-A), do rightclick->Metric, close the scantool.

wayneosan
March 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
My base minimum timing only in those particular areas. I'm not an engineer, so I'll have to compare. But I noticed with a big cam it needed a minimum set in the vette as well. I think when I started it was at zero. and in this table it was at -20.
Maybe I missed it when I was transferreing the .tun files or something.

She's rock solid now. There was a Skyline GTR taking up the dyno today, so I was getting the driveability down. Since that's pretty much done, I just need to slap her on the rollers. Shouldn't take but an hour or two now. It's staying speed density. Oh, wait. I forgot about the transmission. I haven't done one yet, so that could be another whole day. :damnit1:
bunch of cars here getting ready for the Texas Mile.

wayneosan
March 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
On the PIDs tab do this:

highlight all pids (ctrl-A), do rightclick->Metric, close the scantool.

I just did that right before you said something and it may have worked. Let me connect here....

yup. :cheers:

It's freakin beer thirty here in texas and I'm done! I'll update when I get back on the dyno. Wireless laptop is nice. Can you tune remotely with EFI live? Or, set up a log in the v2 autocal and tune someone's car via the internet?

joecar
March 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
I believe that can be done via Windows remote connection.

wayneosan
March 24th, 2010, 06:21 AM
she was going good. However, the throttle shuts down. I can't figure out why. I'm not sure what to log.

joecar
March 24th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Are any DTC's present...?

wayneosan
March 24th, 2010, 06:54 AM
the p0103 maf.

I thought that was supposed to be there to force it into speed density?

joecar
March 24th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Yes, P0103 is there to force SD...

You may be hitting reduced engine power situation because the MAF, MAP, TPS or ETC sanity limits were exceeded... (see those under Engine Diagnostics in the tunetool).

Post your .tun file.

wayneosan
March 24th, 2010, 07:04 AM
what should I log? all supported?

oK, Logging right now, give me a minute.

wayneosan
March 24th, 2010, 07:13 AM
here jew go.

I wasn't sure what to log.

I did disable p103 dtc and set to not reported and it does not shut down.

When I enable dtc p103 to set the it does go to reduced engine power.

I just need to set my rationality or something higher.. I assume?

wayneosan
March 24th, 2010, 07:28 AM
figured it out.

It was the predicted :

c6101 table was set too low. Done.

In boost now, will post a dyno graph shortly, if she don't pop an oil leak.

wayneosan
March 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM
now the it's in a mode where it upshifts at 4200 @wot no matter what.

wayneosan
March 24th, 2010, 11:24 AM
i'm done.

wow this is a pos.

8.1 liters of need more air.

What the hell? Blower too small, headers too small, 28" wheels... too big and blingy.
98lb injectors, using 28. Ok, well its using more than that, but close.

hehe. Oh well. I just tune, I didn't build it.

300 tops.

joecar
March 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Did you get the WOT shift sorted out...?

wayneosan
March 24th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Sort of. By the time I was wot, I realized it quit making power higher up, so I didn't need to change the shift points but a couple hundred higher. It really is an improper set up airflow wise. There is a crappy blower, intercooler, and a restrictive exhaust. If the gent puts some real parts on there, that motor will make some serious power.

No sense beating a dead horse. It drives great, and idles very nice and all seems well.

Thanks for the help. I'll gladly get the next round.

wp