PDA

View Full Version : Want to use GM 4 banger PCM in Toyota, which to go for?

Supercharged111
March 24th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Since these factory PCM's are better than standalones and I own EFI Live, I'd like to control the 4 banger in my toy car with a GM PCM. I'm sure there will be a few challenges, the first of which comes to mind is ignition. Now I can get my hands on a later version oil pump for the block I intend to use that has an OBDII crank wheel and pickup, but I think it's a 34-2 setup. For bolt on aftermarket offerings I can get a 36-1 wheel. I have no idea what GM used on their 4 bangers for ignition pickups or coils. I don't want a distributor setup, I'd like coil packs or, preferrably, COP's. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I never cared about GM's 4 bangers and probably never will again once I get this setup working. Thanks.

Stock wheel:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/Ewird/Image051.jpg

Aftermarket offering:
http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=767

GMPX
March 24th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I think the crank trigger is going to be your issue, I'm not sure what GM used on that era 4cyl either but you can bet it was nothing like Toyota.
Also, if you plan on running boost forget the GM PCM, the 4 cyl PCM was never set up for that.

ScarabEpic22
March 24th, 2010, 09:47 AM
The 4cyl PCMs seem to share a lot of tables with the P10s from the early I6s, which are crippled for boost...

I would use at least a P12 PCM or if you really want control use an E67/T42 combo, you could theoretically put any OS into the E67 and wire up the connectors accordingly (since you'll have to do it anyway). High level of control plus 2.5bar support out of the box.

Are you going to try and have the GM electronics control the trans (or is it a stick)?

Supercharged111
March 24th, 2010, 10:28 AM
It's a stick. I'm wondering now, why couldn't I simply have COS5 flashed onto it as I did with my 411 for my truck? I'm willing to get the trigger wheel custom made if need be, just kind of hoping it might possibly be either 24-2 or 36-1, but I'm assuming the worst.

EDIT: I just wen through the repository, is that all that's supported? The only boosted 4 cylinder I saw in there was the Sky and the likelihood of me getting a PCM and harness from one of those is never. I was initially hoping to either reflash a boosted Slobalt PCM or, as previously mentioned, throw a COS on there. With sequential injection, I doubt I could just cheat and throw a COP V8 411 w/COS5 at it. Especially when you figure the pistons will hit TDC at different times with a V8 vs I4, unless I was selective about which cylinders I didn't use?