PDA

View Full Version : Flashscan smells like its burnt

ls1vt209
April 2nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hi there I just performed a flash on an LS1 no problems then as soon as I went to connect to the scan tool to log the start up I could smell a burning smell and the V2 would not connect. I thought the burning smell was just a coincidence however after attempting to connect to the vehicle 5 times with no success I picked up the V2 (Even though the screen appeared as normal) and the closer I got it to my face the more potent the smell became. I unplugged the USB connection and the screen stayed on as normal connected to the OBD 11 port. I then replugged the USB Connection and unplugged the OBD11 connection and the screen went black and all the lights below the LCD screen on the V2 lit up however the screen will not.

I even took the SD card out and still no go.

I have tried the V2 on 2 other computers and none will make the screen boot up only all the lights below come on as described above.

I have had no problems with it till now, I use the same laptop, same USB cable and same USB port all the time with the V2 and have never had a problem till now.

Any ideas?

I really need to use it as I am finishing off a tune for a mate who is heading away soon.

Cheers
Nigel

ls1vt209
April 2nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
I hooked up the Wideband and it is logging that no problem so appears to be USB related only.

joecar
April 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
I pm'd Tech Support...

It seems to me that your V2 has died...

Where are you located...?

ls1vt209
April 2nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Wollongong NSW Australia

As I said everything works except the USB

Ira
April 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
I would happily fix it, but I'm a bit far away. I don't know how you get stuff over there fixed. Might have to go back to NZ.

Ira

ls1vt209
April 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Any idea what it might be Ira?

I am not afraid to pull it apart and replace caps etc but I don't want to go touching it as it still has the warranty seal etc on there, till I here from Ross, Paul or someone who might know of a possible fault/common problem.

Cheers

Tordne
April 2nd, 2010, 07:56 PM
Shoot an email to support@efilive.com and I'll give you the directions to send the unit to us.

Tordne
April 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
In my experience it is usually a blown IC chip that has the worst smell. If it is under warranty still don't risk messing with it, just send it to us.

ls1vt209
April 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
I am assuming it is a standard 12 month warrant, if so then no it is not under warranty.

If it is a chip, would it still allow everything bar the USB to work, just wondering thats all.

Cheers

Tre-Cool
April 2nd, 2010, 10:51 PM
always been interested to know what the go with warranty\licenses is in the event your v2 dies?

does efilive reissuie you your purchased licenses/streams when you buy a replacement controller as it would be a big hit in the pocket it you didnt.

Ira
April 3rd, 2010, 06:03 AM
always been interested to know what the go with warranty\licenses is in the event your v2 dies?

does efilive reissuie you your purchased licenses/streams when you buy a replacement controller as it would be a big hit in the pocket it you didnt.

In the USA at least, I can copy your information onto a new unit for a price so while you'll have to pay for a new unit, you'll end up with your old unit, same S/N, VINs and streams in a brand new box with a brand new warranty. Your old unit will not be returned.

Ira

ScarabEpic22
April 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
In the USA at least, I can copy your information onto a new unit for a price so while you'll have to pay for a new unit, you'll end up with your old unit, same S/N, VINs and streams in a brand new box with a brand new warranty. Your old unit will not be returned.

Ira

That makes sense, but its good to hear it outright. I dont use my V2 very hard like most workshops do, but good to know if it dies for some reason I can buy a new one and keep my licenses (and streams if I buy them).:rockon:

ls1vt209
April 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM

Ira

So does that mean I would have to fork out another $800us plus the fee to transfer the data, plus postage all for something that is less than 2 years old and has only around 15 vin licenses and is used like once a month?

I am not a workshop therefore do not make money on tuning, so can't justify spending money buying a complete new V2, given everything works except the USB port.

I might be forced to just bin it if that is the case.

joecar
April 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Nigel, hang tight, this will be sorted out.

Ira
April 3rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
No, that's a last resort kind of thing. I've had them come back where it looks like they've been left hanging out the door on occasion. The problem you have I'd likely fix for shipping and a minimal repair charge, but you're not here. You will get taken care of, but it's Easter weekend for the folks you need to talk to.

GMPX
April 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
ls1vt209, I've sent you a PM.

Cheers,
Ross

ls1vt209
April 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
No, that's a last resort kind of thing. I've had them come back where it looks like they've been left hanging out the door on occasion. The problem you have I'd likely fix for shipping and a minimal repair charge, but you're not here. You will get taken care of, but it's Easter weekend for the folks you need to talk to.

I have the utmost confidence that the lads will be able to sort it out.

I understand what you are saying in relation to abused items.

I am just a little frustrated given the nature in which it occured and this is nothing anybody could predict or rectify. As I said before I was finishing off a mates car for him to head away but have now had to lend him mine till this is sorted out.

The strange thing is the way it has happened in it flashed a tune in no probs 10sec's later I attempt to connect to scan and that is when the problem arose, nothing was moved, changed unplugged etc. Just very strange, but not having had any problems prior and obviously no idea how the V2 is constructed it is a mystery to me lol.

I am sure it will be all sorted no problems.

Cheers for all the replies lads, once again it assures me I purchased the right product (Aside from the clear advantages over others) with the good community that EFILive Forum presents.

I will keep you all updated

ls1vt209
May 14th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Ok, after some sensational work by Team EFILive I have my V2 back as good as new.

A special thanks to Ross, Donna, Andrew and all the rest of you at EFILive, and the guys on the forum who emailed me and offered advice/help. Truly is a great bunch of people to deal with with good company morals, and I will say it again possibly the best forum I am a member of.

Cheers
Nigel

Tordne
May 14th, 2010, 12:50 PM
You got it back a while ago didn't you? Thanks for your kind and positive words. We definitely do try and take care of our customers and are glad your device was able to fixed pretty cheaply.

ls1vt209
May 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Yes Andrew I did get it back a couple of weeks ago, thanks again, and to be honest thought I had already posted a thank you.

It wasn't till I was searching for some other info that I found I hadn't.

Yes you guys and girls at EFILive do your very best to keep us customers happy, I cannot speak highly enough of the service and help I have received from you all.

Cheers

ls1vt209
August 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Ok, bad news this problem appears to have reared it's ugly head again.

Flashed a tune into my car today. Pushed the car outside after flash complete, removed laptop and V2. Went to connect V2 to laptop to change BBL pids, no worky. Tried everything, changed computers still no work.

Again, I can BBL with the V2 but nothing shows when connected solely through USB. I could not smell any burning this time, but the V2 presents as it did last time this happened.

FYI at the time of flashing, the V2 was connected to the car and computer only. The laptop was not connected to anything, no charging devices, no wideband etc (I am so paranoid after thinking it was something like this that caused it last time).

So once again I am left with a mostly useless V2 just when I need it most (Private Drag Day tomorrow and I am half way tuning bigger injectors).

Where do I go from here, do I send it back to you guys in NZ?

Cheers
Nigel

Tordne
August 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hi Nigel,

So, just refreshing my memory on recent history...

We got your original device fixed (replaced the FTDI chip from memory), and you also purchased a new FlashScan V2 Scan Tune product as well, correct?

ls1vt209
August 22nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Thats correct Andrew.

The same unit appears to have done the same thing again. The other unit (Newer one) is working fine.

Cheers
Nigel

Hi Nigel,

So, just refreshing my memory on recent history...

We got your original device fixed (replaced the FTDI chip from memory), and you also purchased a new FlashScan V2 Scan Tune product as well, correct?

joecar
August 23rd, 2010, 04:19 AM
Nigel, have the repair details been sorted out...?

Tordne
August 23rd, 2010, 07:43 AM
Is it the same car that the device failed on last time?

Given that Ross replaced the USB protection chips before it even came to us in NZ to have the actual FTDI chip replaced, it could be that the voltage spike that occurred has effected other components in the FlashScan V2 device which are not able to be determined with available test mechanisms.

You can of course send it back to us, and we can get the manufacturer to assess the device again for faults? This will just incur shipping costs to NZ for you. Do you still have our address details from previous repair?

ls1vt209
August 23rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
I have the address off your official website, is that correct.

No different vehicle this time.

Once you send through the address etc or you can call me and pass on the address, phone +610425205039.

Thanks
Nigel.

Is it the same car that the device failed on last time?

Given that Ross replaced the USB protection chips before it even came to us in NZ to have the actual FTDI chip replaced, it could be that the voltage spike that occurred has effected other components in the FlashScan V2 device which are not able to be determined with available test mechanisms.

You can of course send it back to us, and we can get the manufacturer to assess the device again for faults? This will just incur shipping costs to NZ for you. Do you still have our address details from previous repair?

Tordne
August 23rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Address on the website is correct.

On the customs declaration please put: Description of goods: Automotive Scan Tool.
Value: US $50 (if you put a value more than $50 and it can get caught up in New Zealand customs for weeks while they sort out taxes/duties).
Reason for shipment: Warranty return.

ls1vt209
August 23rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks, just so you know, both times this has happened has been immediately after successful flashes.

Address on the website is correct.

On the customs declaration please put: Description of goods: Automotive Scan Tool.
Value: US $50 (if you put a value more than $50 and it can get caught up in New Zealand customs for weeks while they sort out taxes/duties).
Reason for shipment: Warranty return.

ls1vt209
September 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Once again another huge thanks to the EFILive guys and girls for helping me out with this problem.

Cheers
Nigel

Tordne
September 27th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Outside of warranty you have the choice of having the unit repaired, which will include a cost for parts, labour and shipping. Or, if the price of the repair is significant, and you would rather opt to get a new interface, we have an option to clone your failed unit, taking the VIN licenses and Streams onto a new FlashScan V2 device for US$499.

L31Sleeper
September 27th, 2010, 09:50 AM

Ira

How is this accomplished ??
Basically you would buy a scan only and put the provisions on it, correct ?

Outside of warranty you have the choice of having the unit repaired, which will include a cost for parts, labour and shipping. Or, if the price of the repair is significant, and you would rather opt to get a new interface, we have an option to clone your failed unit, taking the VIN licenses and Streams onto a new FlashScan V2 device for US$499.

Good to know.

Tordne
September 27th, 2010, 10:30 AM
The cloning is performed only by EFILive or Ira in the US, so it is the same process we're talking about ;)

L31Sleeper
September 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
So it's Top Secret :hihi:

L31Sleeper
September 28th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I just realized that Nigel said he was going to bin his v2 and ended up with two.
I guess it's worth while to have a good one on hand after all ?

Ira
September 29th, 2010, 06:05 AM
So it's Top Secret :hihi:

Not so much top secret as the ability to clone gives one the ability to steal. It's only 3 or 4 very trusted people that have the ability to create a new EFILive or make a copy of an old one.

L31Sleeper
September 29th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Not so much top secret as the ability to clone gives one the ability to steal. It's only 3 or 4 very trusted people that have the ability to create a new EFILive or make a copy of an old one.

LOL......I respect that. I've found loop holes but I don't take advantage of them
it's like the CVN thing do you really want to upset the company, I don't.