PDA

View Full Version : LBZ-Overboost and vane indexing

killerbee
April 6th, 2010, 10:22 AM
This truck will make 30 psi of MAP with zero vane at high rpm. (this pic shows 37 psi). Does everyone else have this same problem?

IMO, GM goofed on vane indexing, or they really did something that improved turbine effectiveness or ??? This sucker really needs a wastegate.

bballer182
April 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
holy S! how does that work? I would have thought that there was an error in the MAP sensor, but the MAF matches what the MAP is saying too? And only @ 3000 RPM with only a 1300us pulse it making 30psi??? I'm assuming you are subtracting out the BARO to get 30 from 37? Is your density altitude really that high, only 7psi? I would need about 10-20% vane to get that boost...

killerbee
April 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM
we are at 14.0 psi baro.

I can make 26 psi of boost with zero vane.

Set min and max vane to 0% and run an experiment in first gear, with foot riding the brake for load (fuel). I just want to be sure this is an LBZ thing across the board, and not something unusual about this vehicle.

killerbee
April 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM
MAP=boost+baro

It is labeled boost on the readout, but that is MAP

joecar
April 6th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Is this a calc pid you guys can use (post #9): showthread.php?p=104303#post104303 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=104303#post104303)

killerbee
April 6th, 2010, 12:48 PM
The table is in MAP, so I have just become used to referencing that.

bballer182
April 6th, 2010, 03:35 PM
The table is in MAP, so I have just become used to referencing that.

me too...

I'm all out of daylight for the day but i'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Stock PW, pressure and timing or what?

killerbee
April 6th, 2010, 03:43 PM
whatever tune you like. If I am right, it won't matter. :)

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM
holy S! how does that work? I would have thought that there was an error in the MAP sensor, but the MAF matches what the MAP is saying too? And only @ 3000 RPM with only a 1300us pulse it making 30psi??? I'm assuming you are subtracting out the BARO to get 30 from 37? Is your density altitude really that high, only 7psi? I would need about 10-20% vane to get that boost...

The log shows 36% TPS, I would like to see the log just before the lift off the pedal at WOT.

:angel_innocent:

killerbee
April 10th, 2010, 10:38 AM
me too...

I'm all out of daylight for the day but i'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Stock PW, pressure and timing or what?

I am almost afraid to try a 4000rpm tune. :)

JoshH
April 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Holy cow, I guess I was right on the cause of your smoke, huh? I just noticed your pulse width at 55 mm3 of fuel. That's equivalent to 90 mm3 on the stock pulse width table! :eek:

vortecfcar
April 11th, 2010, 03:11 AM
The turbine/vane setup is a lot tighter on the newer trucks ('06 and up). It's not uncommon to run 0% vane where the LLY would run ~40%.

Nick

Dozerboy
April 18th, 2010, 02:28 AM
The turbine/vane setup is a lot tighter on the newer trucks ('06 and up).

X2 I have seen boost in the mid 20s with the vanes at 0

bballer182
April 18th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I wish i had an LLY exhaust housing. The danville turbos are all built using the LLY housing to flow more exhaust than the LBZ or even worse the LMM turbo.

killerbee
April 18th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I am wondering if anyone has tried using an LBZ turbo on an LLY. I have no real explanation why, but the LBZ is looser and just seems to want to make boost. The MAF numbers seem to support this also.

killerbee
July 15th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Has anyone tried actually increasing min vane table, to determine if the lowest values are actually more boost producing than say, 15 degrees?

bballer182
July 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I am wondering if anyone has tried using an LBZ turbo on an LLY. I have no real explanation why, but the LBZ is looser and just seems to want to make boost. The MAF numbers seem to support this also.
I would think that it would be an upgrade for the LBZ's to use the LLY turbo because the exhaust housing is bigger and flows more that the LBZ, which can make it more efficient in the higher RPM and higher boost numbers. I've considered swapping mine out.

Has anyone tried actually increasing min vane table, to determine if the lowest values are actually more boost producing than say, 15 degrees?

I've played with mine but it's so difficult to do because you would have to do it in a DSP tune, because the DVT's don't work like they are supposed to. So i gave up on it. but i did do a little experimenting and found that are cruise range changing the vanes from 0% all the way to 30% did nothing as far as boost is concerned. And thats as far as i got when i gave up.

LBZRCKS
August 29th, 2010, 07:13 AM

It's been done a couple of years ago. IIRC it didn't make any difference really. LBZ looser?? Think you've got it backwards...

killerbee
August 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM
"looser". Not loser.