PDA

View Full Version : LC-1 cable length

Eric
May 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
hi Eric here , have a question concerning an LC-1 , how long are the cables not including the sensor cable , from the LC-1 to the end of the serial and pigtail of 6 or 7 wires , oh while on the subject can i properly preform a sensor callibration while pluged in serial to the flashacan V2 , i ask because i have heard about isuses with this procedure, thank you

TAQuickness
May 3rd, 2010, 09:18 PM
From the controller out, the cables are about a meter long. I was performing a few bench test on an LC1 and LM2 about a month ago and had no problems performing a free air calibration from V2. Do you have a link to the issues you've heard of?

WeathermanShawn
May 3rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Eric, I just did a LM-2 heater and free air calibration utilizing TAQuickness's (Andy) WB Serial Cables.

Worked flawlessly. I changed out an O2 sensor..(routine maintenance).

Just to reiterate, I did the free air calibration using the Flashscan V2..

Good here!

magic919
May 4th, 2010, 07:46 AM
LC-1 to cable ends is 6 feet (1.8m).

Eric
May 5th, 2010, 08:12 AM
thanks for the info guys , so i guess it is 8 ft including the sensor like my LM-2 that i have permenently installed the cables but it is a hassel when i want to go to another vheicle , so i want to get 2 LC-1s and leave them permenent , i will have to make them longer because i have a truck and i want to pass them in a specific place , i dont like making holes so i use what is there , to TA dont remember where i picked that up but i do remember there was an issue maybe someone else has some info , just want to be sure before i calibrate with the V2, new to EFI live but wow what a product my LM-2 is also hooked up in serial , if any one of you does get back have another Question , want to black box log so i guess i have to install the 8 software , will the 7.5 and eight work together , this is probably a stupid question but keep in mind the i didnt even use a computer up untill two years ago , dont worry i am not 95 years old i am 42 but just never needed one before but now i am using it alot for my work and loving EFI live but it is taking time and thank god for patience that i do have and if i understood right v8 will eventually be complete, thanks

joecar
May 5th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Hi Eric,

Download/install the latest version of V7 and V8 software from here (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=13550).

V8 includes firmware which you will have to flash into your V2, see attached doc.

V8 provides the user interface for configuring black box logging/flashing.
V7 provides the user interface for viewing logs and editing calibrations.

V2 can handle upto 2 serial widebands daisy-chained together.

Yeah, I don't like cutting holes either... a good place to poke the serial cable thru is the shift lever grommet under the center console.

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:

Eric
May 6th, 2010, 05:09 AM
thanks joecar for the info , just have a few questions , when installing the latest version of V7 i guess efilive will override the old version and in V8 what is the procedure to flash the V2 with V8 firmware and if i understand correctly V7 will remain the same for logging and editing and flashing , i will still be able to log and flash using my laptop and V8 will log using the V2 (bbl) , will it also be able to flash in a tune to my pcm without the use of my labtop and if so will it hold more than one tune so i can flip from one to another and why doesnt one version do all this , thank you joecar

Eric
May 6th, 2010, 05:15 AM
joe forgot to mention , if there will be one version that will be complete with V7 and V8 functions shouldnt i wait because i imagine if V7 is not doing it they want to work out the bugs in V8 before it becomes a complete package or is this not the reason , thank you

Eric
May 6th, 2010, 05:32 AM
another question joe , what version of boot block should i be running i have presently Ver 2.06.02 and about what you said in your last reply , so i can daisy chain , two LC1,s into my V2 serial input good , is it ok to perform a heater warm up and a calibration of my o2 sensors using my V2 , thank you

Eric
May 6th, 2010, 05:58 AM
ok last question for today joe , by the way i want to thank you in advance , its guy like you on these forums that encourage us to by a product that alot of us dont know alot about , is there a way of turning off the V2 without just simply unpluging it , hate doing that just like my LM-2 , thanks

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 05:59 AM
To flash V2 firmware, use EFILive Explorer (EE) goto the F12: Firmware tab.

V7.5.6.115 is basically the same but provides updates/fixes.
V8.1.2.95 provides updates to black box logging/flashing and V2 firmware.

You should install both V7 and V8 since some earlier versions of V7 won't work with later versions of V2 firmware.

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 06:00 AM
First update the V2 bootblock to 2.6.03.

And then update the V2 firmware to 2.6.35.

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 06:02 AM
To daisy chain two Innovate widebands:
- install terminator plug on device 1 SERIAL IN,
- connect device 1 SERIAL OUT to device 2 SERIAL IN,
- connect device 2 SERIAL OUT to V2 via null-modem type cable.

In V2 setttings (either on V2 LCD or via Scan&Tune (S&T) software Device Settings.

V2 will let you do free-air calibration.

Heater calibration is done by power-cycling the wideband with the Bosch sensor disconnected from the controller, and then reconnecting it and powering on... can't do this with V2.

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Yes, you will be able to log/flash in passthru mode from your laptop.

Yes, you will be able to log/flash in standalone black box mode. Yes, multiple tune files on the SD card.

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 06:08 AM
V8 is not complete yet, so V7 is used for traditional log/tune user interface, V8 is used for firmware and BBL/BBF.

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Yes, there a key sequence to put V2 in low power mode (LCD turns off)...

I can't remember it, but I think it's ctrl-0... I'll find out later today.

You are welcome... :) ...we want everyone to share our enthusiasm for this hobby and for this really cool and advanced product...:cheers:

There are many knowledgeable members on this forum, thank you all for your contributions, you guys make the forum...:cheers:

Eric
May 6th, 2010, 04:25 PM
thanks joe , just want to make sure , i update my V7 and install V8 and will not have to use EFI live Explorer to update boot block and firmware because it can be done using V8, boot block then firmware why this order, different tunes on sd card nice is this related to switchable tunes in the V2 menu , so as i understand my LC-1s that i will install permanently will have to have the sensors unpluged and pluged back so i can perform a proper free air calibration , thanks joe

Eric
May 6th, 2010, 04:43 PM
hope i am not driving you nuts with all this , just thought of something , what if i was able to switch off phisically the LC1 controler boxs from the sensors with a remote multi pole switch from within my truck , i know it would make alot of wiring but like i know my self i am going to protect the hell of the the LC1 s and its going to be hell to take them down every time , is there a maximum length of wire run between the sensor and the LC1 that has to be respected or maybe innovate has a patch wire i can use to mount the LC1s in my truck but i dont think so, why do i always have to complicate things , thanks joe

Eric
May 6th, 2010, 04:54 PM
i ask alot a questions concerning the software , firmware , boot block only because i am new to all this computer stuff , like i said before i didnt even use a computer up untill two years ago and i dont always understand the terminology but i am a very fast learner , i am only really starting to use my computer so sometimes what might seem simple knowledge to some is contiuous learning for me , so thanks for your patience joe

Eric
May 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
like i said joe here goes a simple question , where is EFIlive Explorer , is this within in V8 and i understand about firmware but what does boot block refer to , does it have to do with the V2 being able to access a PCM , i guess i am waiting for your responce before i update my V7 and install V8 and update boot block and firmware , i know this is all simple but just want to be sure , thank joe

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 07:42 PM
hope i am not driving you nuts with all this , just thought of something , what if i was able to switch off phisically the LC1 controler boxs from the sensors with a remote multi pole switch from within my truck , i know it would make alot of wiring but like i know my self i am going to protect the hell of the the LC1 s and its going to be hell to take them down every time , is there a maximum length of wire run between the sensor and the LC1 that has to be respected or maybe innovate has a patch wire i can use to mount the LC1s in my truck but i dont think so, why do i always have to complicate things , thanks joePower the LC-1 from a fused switched circuit that comes live when key is in on position... you want the sensor to be running while the engine is running otherwise the sensor will be damaged.

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 07:43 PM
To flash V2 bootblock and firmware you have to use EE.

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 07:51 PM
V8 software includes: EE, S&T, bootblock, firmware.

What Microsoft Windows OS are you running...? Win XP...?

To run EE or S&T, from your desktop go:
- Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive Explorer, or
- Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive Scan&Tune.

In V2 there are 2 software blobs:
- bootblock: used for flashing in the V2 firmware, and for booting the V2 firmware.
- firmware: used for flashing in the V2 bootblock, and for operating/running the V2.

The bootblock in the PCM is for flashing/reading the PCM's flash... same concept, but for the PCM instead of the V2... elegant, eh...!?!

Have a read thru attached doc [ you have later versions of bootblock/firmware, so you wont fall into the 2.05.06 hole ].

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Heater cal:
- unplug lambda sensor from LC-1,
- power on LC-1,
- power off LC-1,
- plug lambda sensor back into LC-1,
- power on LC-1,
- wait untill LED stops flashing and comes on steady.

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Always be sure (ask when in doubt)... this is how you avoid costly damage/mistakes.

"The dumb question is the one that was never asked, because you'll never know the answer"

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Nuts...!?!? It's ok... that reminds me about marbles... :D

Eric
May 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM
i am running windows xp , i am ok and the reason i was not finding EE was that i have not installed V8 yet , so i skip all that 2.05... hole like you said because i have the later version of boot block and firmware good , please clear this up for me because i think i am confusing heater calibration and sensor calibration , the sensor has to be heated by the proceedure you explained to me and then i command a sensor calibration through the V2 like with my LM-2 when i plug the sensors in they are heated and i can perform a sensor calibration if in free air , if the V2 is not used innovate supplies a led to monitor this by switching a wire to ground , one last thing that is important to me , so i have to uninstall V7 i thought i could just upgrade to 7.5.6 and install V8 and why the warning of not being able to revert back to a previous version once the new firmware version is installed , why would anyone want to do that unless i am answering my question in the next paragragh and last but really not least is the scare at the end of all this about the license upgrade , you mean after installing V7 and V8 and upgrading boot block , firmware that the licensce upgrade can be unsuccesful and i will have to send my V2 half way across the world that previously had nothing wrong with it , i hate to believe this but what are the chances of this happening , i have in the past upgraded to scan and tune from scan only because i bought it as a scan and tune but was shipped scan only , can this affect the proceedure , thanks joe i appreciate this

joecar
May 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Do have a read thru that document, it will give you a better picture about bootblock vs firmware and about dead poll... and it will answer questions regarding the scary license upgrade (see below)...

Heater calibration: required when sensor is replaced to calibrate heater power.
Free air calibration: required periodically to rebase the controller to free air.

V2 can do the free air cal, not the heater cal.

The LED might be good to have... if it doesn't stop flashing you have indication of a problem regardless of whether V2 is connected or not.

The bootblock license upgrade (and warning) is only applicable if your bootblock version is 2.04.xx or earlier.

Which versions of bootblock and firmware do you have in V2 (use EE to view them)...?

If your version of V7 is old, you may have to un-install it and then install the newer V7, no biggie.

Is your V2 Scan and Tune right now...?

Eric
May 8th, 2010, 02:29 AM
thanks joe , understand about the sensor calibration , yes my V2 is scan and tune have done some tuning on my transmission and removed my EGR valve so i hade to get rid of the trouble codes and such , my V2 boot block ver. is 2.06.02 oct 16 2008 and the firmware ver. is 2.06.05 oct 28 2008 got this information using my V2 because i have not yet installed V8 with EE , so given my boot block and firmware ver. i will not have to perform a licence upgrade so the posibility of having to send the V2 to efilive will not happen good , is this correct , thanks joe

Eric
May 8th, 2010, 03:01 AM
joe went and got my ver. it is 7.5.5 build 86 , in the tune tool clicked on help menu > about it also indicated license: scan and tool of course and also indicated was calibrations avalible 620 and restricted to : personel scan and tool (no cable) , what does this mean , so is my 7.5.5 build 86 updateable or will i have to uninstall it and reinstall the newest ver of V7 , thanks joe

Eric
May 8th, 2010, 03:47 AM
ok joe i understand about not needing the license upgrade , my present boot block and firmware already have the new style license structures so when i upgrade the boot block and firmware i will not be prompted by the V2 with the message to upgrade license , is this correct , thank you joe

Eric
May 8th, 2010, 04:32 AM
have a question joe apart from all of this , logged a few quarter mile runs the other day for the first time and i noticed my MAP was reading 14.9 to 15.1 psi , this cant be my boost gauge reads close to 10 psi , have a magnuson on a 4.8 with a 3.4 in pully , how accurate is this map sensor or do i have to scale it , i know my guage inside stops at 10 psi , whats the reason for this because i know i am not phisically runing 15 psi, i have a 6.0 that i will be porting the heads and changing the springs and pusrods and rod bolts with a nice cam that i will be installing this summer but not in a hurry because i am trying to perfect a cooling system for my intercooler , i run a 13.06 and want to be in the high 12,s before i swap out for the 6.0 , for a 4.8 it is very fast considering i am lifted 6.5in with 35in tires , ist a longbed single cab black silverado 4x4 year 2000 , it sleeps in the garage and never sees winter what a pitty i know , i love working on this truck and i have come to realize that the number one importance is cooling the intake charge ,if i can get in the high 12s with my 4.8 i know high 11s will be possible with the 6.0 and that will be awsome , its fun because in quebec most people at the track are running fast cars so when you come along with a fast pickup its very special , got to have passions , this and snowboarding my two , thanks joe

joecar
May 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM
joe went and got my ver. it is 7.5.5 build 86 , in the tune tool clicked on help menu > about it also indicated license: scan and tool of course and also indicated was calibrations avalible 620 and restricted to : personel scan and tool (no cable) , what does this mean , so is my 7.5.5 build 86 updateable or will i have to uninstall it and reinstall the newest ver of V7 , thanks joeIt will say that if the V2 is not connected to your PC...

also go Help->Register EFILive and enter in the Scan&Tune license info.

Download/install updated V7 and V8 from this: showthread.php?t=13550 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=13550)

Once you installed V8, run EE and update bootblock to 2.6.03 and firmware 2.6.35.

Please do read thru this document to get a clearer picture... just study it thru, it will clear up some concepts about V2.

FSBootV2_xx_yy.efw: FlashScan boot block Version 2.xx.yy.
FSProgV2_xx_yy.efw: FlashScan firmware Version 2.xx.yy.

Be sure to format the Data space and the Config space.

Then run S&T to do the following:
- setup the Device Settings,
- setup the Black Box settings.

Which year/model vehicle do you have...?

joecar
May 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM
ok joe i understand about not needing the license upgrade , my present boot block and firmware already have the new style license structures so when i upgrade the boot block and firmware i will not be prompted by the V2 with the message to upgrade license , is this correct , thank you joeYes, correct.

joecar
May 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM
joe went and got my ver. it is 7.5.5 build 86 , in the tune tool clicked on help menu > about it also indicated license: scan and tool of course and also indicated was calibrations avalible 620 and restricted to : personel scan and tool (no cable) , what does this mean , so is my 7.5.5 build 86 updateable or will i have to uninstall it and reinstall the newest ver of V7 , thanks joeI would uninstall it, and do a fresh install with the new one.

joecar
May 8th, 2010, 08:32 AM
have a question joe apart from all of this , logged a few quarter mile runs the other day for the first time and i noticed my MAP was reading 14.9 to 15.1 psi , this cant be my boost gauge reads close to 10 psi , have a magnuson on a 4.8 with a 3.4 in pully , how accurate is this map sensor or do i have to scale it , i know my guage inside stops at 10 psi , whats the reason for this because i know i am not phisically runing 15 psi, i have a 6.0 that i will be porting the heads and changing the springs and pusrods and rod bolts with a nice cam that i will be installing this summer but not in a hurry because i am trying to perfect a cooling system for my intercooler , i run a 13.06 and want to be in the high 12,s before i swap out for the 6.0 , for a 4.8 it is very fast considering i am lifted 6.5in with 35in tires , ist a longbed single cab black silverado 4x4 year 2000 , it sleeps in the garage and never sees winter what a pitty i know , i love working on this truck and i have come to realize that the number one importance is cooling the intake charge ,if i can get in the high 12s with my 4.8 i know high 11s will be possible with the 6.0 and that will be awsome , its fun because in quebec most people at the track are running fast cars so when you come along with a fast pickup its very special , got to have passions , this and snowboarding my two , thanks joeThe MAP sensor might be the 1-bar kind, it pegs at 15.1 psi (i.e. 105 kPa).

Display these in Metric: MAP, MAF, and anything else that is mass or mass/time... this makes it easier for us... :)

What axle ratio do you have...?

Yes, cooling the intake charge is important for several reasons:
- reduces opportunity for knock,
- increases air charge density.

Yes, we all love internal combustion engines, that's why we're all here... ;) :cheers:

Eric
May 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I will uninstall V7 and do a fresh install of V7 and V8 , i have read the pdf. on upgrading flashscan and i will read it again , can you explain what you mean about formating the data and the config space and to set up the device settings and black box settings . Yes i must have a 1bar MAP sensor because my logs all maxed at 15.1psi or 105KPa , is it possible that i am running this mush boost it doesnt make sence, never new because my in truck gauge stops at 10psi, can i trust what my MAP sensor is telling me , i know i can step up to a 2bar operating system but that is for another time because i want to concentrate on BBL and the tuning software . To answer your question i am running 4:56 gears, i installed an auburn limited slip diff with an electric locker which i never use because the truck never sees mud , should have installed a reagular limited slip , it is in my front diff that i really need a locker because my truck pulls like crazy from left to right the first eight mile , when i installed the diff and gears there was no locker for the front but maybe ther is now , sorry about the long messages it is just nice to chat with someone who understands this , thanks joe

joecar
May 10th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Before you use a brand new hard disk, USB memory fob, or SD card, it has to be formatted (i.e. an empty file system created)...

V2 has two separate file systems:
- [Config] which stores all the config files,
- [Data] which stores all the data files (logs and tunes).

The [Data] space has two separate instances: internal and external (SD card). In the V2 Device Settings you select which one, on the V2 LCD/keypad navigate F4->F1->F1 Edit Settings.

To format [Config] you go into EE, goto Config Files tab and click Format.
To format [Data], on the V2 LCD/keypad navigate F4->F2->F3 Format File Sys.

When you install V8, you will see two pieces of software: EFILive Explorer (EE) and Scan&Tune (S&T).

joecar
May 10th, 2010, 03:04 AM
BOOST = MAP - BARO

BARO is typically 100 kPa at sea level.

So if you're running 10 psi (70 kPa) boost, then MAP is 25 psi (170 kPa).

i.e. MAP from 0 to 100 kPa is no boost, and then over 100 kPa is boost.

Your truck is 4x4... does it pull left/right because one or more wheels are slipping...?

You have the same ratio in both axles...? What ratio is the transfer case and/or center differential...?

No worries...:cheers:

joecar
May 10th, 2010, 03:09 AM
See these pics from S&T.

Eric
May 10th, 2010, 12:46 PM
ok i understand about the formatting if i get home early enuf tomorrow afternoon i will install the new V7 and V8 and do all this , if i have any hookups i will let you know but i will get back to you either way . I understand about the MAP sensor anything under 14.7psi or 100KPa is actually in vacume at sea level of course , just like my in truck gauge makes sence, i should have thought of this , it is like plus or minus with 14.7psi or 100KPa being natural baro presure at sea level which is very close to my elevation here , so i wont have a choice to step up to a 2bar system or can i make this work , is there another way or pid to log my manifold presure . About my truck pulling to one side to the other is in my opinion normal because only one wheel is pulling at once because my diff is not locked but it is less present at the track with a flat surface , my ratios are the same front and back , i have to be able to lock the front diff , it is just like running a front wheel drive vehicle with alot of power that doesnt have a limited slip or locker it goes all over the place , thanks joe

Eric
May 11th, 2010, 07:29 AM
hi joe just got in , its a little late in the afternoon so i will have to do this tomorrow , any info about my MAP situation , will get back to you tomorrow , thanks joe

joecar
May 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM
You may need to run a 2-bar MAP sensor and a COS (Custom Operating System)...

Which year/model vehicle/PCM do you have...?

If you have a 512KB PCM, then there may be a COS for it.

The COS's have boost VE and spark tables.

Eric
May 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
My truck is a 2000 and it is a 512KB PCM , ist a gen 3 pcm , i will be stepping up to a 2 bar map sensor and COS but not right now because i am working on something else now which leads me to my next question , can i buy two engine coolent temperature sensors and use them as a 0to5V source to feed two of my V2s analoge inputs because i need to log temperaure at two specific places on my intercooler system that i am working on and i need a range of anywhere from -5 to 65 degrees celcius which is in the range of a stock ECT sensor , i checked my sensor on my truck and it is only two wires so the sensor may not work for this application , if it is only two wires wouldnt it be sending a resistive value to the pcm , to make this work i need a sensor that will give me a 0 to 5V and i would have to know its equivilant temperature at 0 and 5V , do you have any ideas about this and if i cant use GM sensors do you know of a place where i could buy some , thanks joe

Eric
May 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I just checked ,unpluged my sensor on my truck and it sends out a resistive value so i can not use the GM ones , any ideas where i can get and accurate unit whithin my range , i think autometer has one but it is not used for such a low range , thanks joe

joecar
May 11th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Air-to-Air or Air-to-Water...?

Are you measuring air temp (IAT) or water temp (ECT)...?

The 2 wire IAT/ECT sensor needs to have current flowing thru it... you would have to wire it to 12V via a resistor (not sure what value) which drops the voltage range down to 0-5V... the other end goes to ground... i.e. the resistor and sensor make a voltage divider... you would have to change the resistor to "calibrate" the temperature reading.

Might be easier to find a specific aftermarket temp sensor... I'm not sure which ones... might have to look thru some catalogs or talk to someone at Jegs or Summit.

Have a look at the OEM wire diagram (attached).

Eric
May 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM
thanks joe my intercooler is water to water its a magnuson sc and i want to mesure water temp , yes i understand the concept of this circuit which would alow me to use my GM sensors but it is complicated and the feed voltage would have to be very clean , would have to ge it from the pcm , i will see if i can by some or are all temp sensors thermisters , thanks joe will get back tomorrow

Eric
May 12th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Been serching around and i have found something that i am almost sure will work fo my aplication to log my intercooler water temps, i found a wide range low power temperature sensor that outputs an analog voltage that is proportional to the temp , it is in the form of a TO-92 transistor so once my wires are connected to its leds i can coat it with apoxy and fit it into a fiting , one led is fed by a voltage that can be between 2.7 and 5.5V , one is ground and the other outputs the voltage from 0 to 1.75V , 0V = to -50C and 1.75V = to 125C , for every 10mv increase temp increases 1C so it is linear , it must be possible to feed this info to the scan tool , how is this done and i will have to find a clean 5V supply voltage from the PCM or could i not tap in at one of my sensors on the engine that has a 5V feed , i was wondering about thoes wire diagrams that you sent to me in the attachment , where do you get them and is it possible to get a complete wire diagram for my trucks PCM or i could by a shop manual , i ordered the temp sensors from an electronic parts store near my place and i will have them next week , i dont think the responce time of these sensors are as quick as thermistors and may be a little slow for an AIT sensor at 15sec but in liquid it is 5sec which is good for me , any input joe does it sound like it will work, thanks

joecar
May 12th, 2010, 04:05 PM
0.00V --> -50°C
1.75V --> +125°C

The equations for that are:
T[°C] = v*100-50
T[°F] = v*180-58

See attached calc_pids.txt file... copy this file to: My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

If your calc_pids.txt already contains calc pids, then the two have to be merged.

EXT.AD1 and EXT.AD2 are two of the four analog inputs...
turn V2 over down and study the decals, each analog input has a + and - pin pair.
Also see page 104 in the scantool user manual pdf.

Note:
- have at least 2 blanks line at the end of the file,
- high/low are the chart/gauge max/min tick marks,
- fmt is the number of decimal digits precision.

Eric
May 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM
thanks joe for this information , i dont have time to study it now but i will look at it in detail tomorrow afternoon when i get back from work , glad this will work , i have to admit at first look at the calc pid.txt you sent i am not understanding much but when i get into it i am sure i will see a little clearer , it is like writing up a text formula and building it to your specific aplications , is this correct , i will get back to you tomorrow , thanks joe

joecar
May 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Yes, calc_pids.txt allows you to write the text formula/equation, and then the EFILive scantool reads it in and applies it to the logged data.

You will now have these new pids:
CALC.TMP1.C
CALC.TMP1.F
CALC.TMP2.C
CALC.TMP2.F

Eric
May 14th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Ok joe i understand about the calc_pids.txt, i went to user configuration , so basically i could create different calc_pids.txt for lets say analog input 1 and depending on what i wanted to log i would select the pid , wow and i imagine the same thing would go for the two switched 12V outputs , i have not yet copied your file to my calc_pids because i want to test the temperature sensors when i recieve them just to make sure the specs are dead on , in the calc_pids what does Fmt stand for , it is the increments that my temp in C or F will be displayed is this correct, and where does *CLC-00-401 and 402 come from , i know it relates to analog 1 and 2 and PRN , SLOT dont know the meaning , would you believe i have yet to install the new V7 and V8 i guess i am cought up in all this info , oh yes what do you mean by if my calc_pids.txt already contains calc pids, then the two have to be merged , are there not seperate files for this , by the way i have none , can these calc pids be deleated anytime, thanks joe

joecar
May 14th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Be aware that the two switched 12V inputs detect on and off (i.e. not anlog range).

fmt is the number of decimal digits (precision).

When adding an equation, you have to give it a CLC-00-nnn SLOT identifier and Fnnn PRN identifier.

Also, I typically make the PRN identifier Fnnn have the same nnn as the CLC-00-nnn for easier mental linking.

If your calc_pids.txt already has other equations put there by you, then you want to merge the new one in... if you don't have any, then you can ignore this comment.

You can delete calc pids by deleting their PRN and SLOT definitions.

Cheers
:)

Eric
May 15th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Hi joe , so they are 12V switched inputs, i thought they were outputs, i understand about them only detecting on or off , for example they could confirm that a certain sensor , ect is on at a specific time , my calc_pids.txt has no other equations so what you are saying is if i had put one in previously i would have to merge a new one in with the existing one , dont understand , i thought i would save it under another file or are all calc_pids defined in the same txt. sheet , i am far from being an expert on these matters but is this because they are treated and applied by the scan tool and not saved as a file , or both because i would imagine that these new calc_pids.txt have to be saved when unistalling V7 and installing the new version , so if i understand all the calc_pids are saved in one txt. one file thanks joe your input is very helpful

joecar
May 15th, 2010, 08:42 AM
There is only one file named calc_pids.txt, so all the calc pids must be put into that one file.

When the scantool is started it reads calc_pids.txt to get the definitions of those calc pids.

When you install an updated version of V7 it may preserve that file... but you should save a copy of it just in case.

No worries, cheers :cheers:

Eric
May 17th, 2010, 01:51 AM
thanks joe and yes i will save a copy of my cacl_pids.txt file just in case , have a question about my AFR , was out logging both wide band chanels with my LM2 connected to my V2 serial input and by the way works great , i also logged my commanded AFR , i did two wot runs and noticed that my actual AFR readings were always a little leaner than the commanded AFR , for example past 4800 rpm the commanded is 11.35 and my AFR was between 11.7 and 11.9 , but when not in open loop like at idle or just cruising my AFR was what was commanded at 14.68 so my AFR reading is accurate , should it not always be what is commanded , keep in mind i have not touched any of these parameters , the are all set at what superchips sent with my magnuson s.c kit , the only mod that could affect this is that i have went down to a smaller pully 3.7 to 3.4 and i have installed a more efficient air intake system , but should this not affect the AFR , my pcm should compensate with more feul when more air is introduced or is it just the way they tuned it , but to me if you command 11.3 that is what you should get , and before you ask i can not post my log because i erased it , the reason for this is because i logged both runs on the same file so i erased it and wanted to do two more but seperate them but did not have time , could this be related to lag time , how fast can a the sensors ajust for feul or is this very quick , i dont even know what the duty cycle of my injectors are , i did install a second feul pump and 42lbs injectors that was in the kit originally so i dont think i am running out of feul, so is this normal or is something off , thanks joe

mr.prick
May 17th, 2010, 02:02 AM
It maybe just a matter of matching the fuel type of the LC-1 to {B3601}.
How to match wideband output to {B3601} (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=13229)

The easiest thing to do is compare the serial EQ readings with {B3618}
instead of using AFR.

joecar
May 17th, 2010, 03:12 AM
In scantool, go Edit->Properties->Folders and look at the template for auto-generated filenames...

If you set the template to something like Log_<seq> then each time you save a file the scantool will increment the <seq>... e.g. Log_0000, Log_0001, Log_0002...

Also go Edit->Properties->Logging and checkmark Automatically Save Log File.

Do what mr.prick said, log GM.EQIVRATIO instead of GM.AFR, and log wideband EQR...
if you really need AFR, then you can make a calc pid to convert EQR to AFR:

AFR = AFRstoich/EQR = AFRstoich*Lambda

AFRstoich varies with fuel, and should be the same as B3601 as pointed out by mr.prick.

But do EQR to compare against B3618 and B3605.

In the tunetool, go Edit->Properties and set fueling units to EQR... and also set VE table units to g*K/kPa.

Eric
May 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
thanks guys i will look this over tomorrow when i get back from work , i read through it fast , but if my commanded AFR is matching up with my logged AFR at idle and cruise are they not properly matched , i understand about comparing serial equvilants instead of AFR because at b3618 the values are in serial , this will tell me if my conversion to AFR reading is properly matched , ok i understand i think , close to AFRstoich i would not see alot of difference but the further away from AFRstoich the more apparent it would be because of the multiplication facture that will apply to convert AFR to serial or lambda but like i said they were very close at idle and cruise , thanks guys will get back tomorrow

mr.prick
May 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Innovate widebands can only set the AFR value of Lambda/EQ 1.00 to precision of .1
The gas setting will be is 14.7 & {B3601} will be 14.xxxxxx

{B3601} needs to match (as closely as possible) the fuel setting in the LC-1.
Otherwise log {GM.EQUIVRATIO} and use this calc_pid in place of BEN

#Units Low High Fmt Expression
#------------ ---------- ----------- -------- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-007
factor 0.00 2.00 .2 "({GM.EQIVRATIO}/{EXT.WO2EQR1})"
================================================== =======
#Code PRN SLOT Units System Description
#--------------------------------- ----------- ------------------- --------------- -------------------- -----------------------------------
CALC.EQ_BEN F007 CLC-00-007 factor Fuel "EQ BEN"

To convert serial EQ/Lambda to AFR it would be:
"({B3601}/{EXT.WO2EQR1})"
"({B3601}*{EXT.WO2LAM1})"

The value of {B3601}

Eric
May 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM
ok i understand what you are saying but it doesnt apply to this situation because i am not conected to my V2 throught its analog inputs , my LM2 is comunicating to my V2 via serial so my calc.AFR_LC11 pid is not even avalible and even if i was my B3601 is set to 14.68 for 1 volt Lambda and my LM2 is 14.7 for 1 volt lambda and this .02 AFR difference does not come close to the difference i am seeing , at wot past 4800 commanded is 11.35 and i am reading 11.7 to 11.9 , .02 of error can not justify this , so what is wrong here , thanks you

mr.prick
May 18th, 2010, 11:48 AM
If the fuel type is close to {B3601} then maybe the MAF or VE just needs adjusting. :nixweiss:

Eric
May 19th, 2010, 09:56 AM
i thought if commanded was 11.35 that it had to be that , so i guess the problem is with the tune , i have not touched feul at all and this is a superchips tune that was sent to me with my s.c , i am far from being an expert on all this tuning stuff but will work at it bit by bit , the truck runs fine but it can be fine tunned and that is why i got the V2 , i will also be swaping out my 4.8 for a 6.0 that has been sitting in my garage for three years but i want to learn more about tunning before swaping it in , what should i look for in the MAF and VE parameters that could maybe be resposible for this or give me a clue, maybe this will help you , the only things that i have changed is a smaller pully 3.7 to 3.4 and i installed a better breathing air intake and i took the screen away from infront of my MAF meter , could these changes be the cause of this , with the new air intake the air is directed straight to the MAF sensor so i imagine the screen is not needed to straighten out air flow , wouldnt the PCM compensate for all of this or am i wrong , my MAF meter is not ported but without the screen it could read a bit different i imagine , oh by the way i want to pick up a couple of LC-1s how are , my LM2 is a pain , i want to install something permenant , the only reason i got an LM2 is because one of my friends is carburated and i used it to tune his carb went really well , alot of people claim to have problems with the LC1s but i think it has alot to do with improper grounding issues, thanks alot for your input

joecar
May 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM
If you have V2 you can read the AFR/Lambda/EQR using serial/digital comms... i.e. avoid analog ground/offsets altogether.

If your commanded AFR is 11.35 and your wideband AFR is 11.70, then the correction factor is 11.70/11.35 = 1.03

Whichever table/cells is causing the airmass responsible for AFR 11.70 needs to be mulitplied by 1.03 to correct those cells so that they now producde AFR 11.35.

How do you determine whether the airmass is coming from the VE table or the MAF table...?

See summary notes (scroll down to Sept. 24th, 2009): member.php?u=10 (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?u=10)

The AutoVE and AutoMAF procedures isolate each of the VE and MAF tables (so that they are the sole source of airmass) and apply the wideband correction factor to the cells that contributed (filtering is first applied to eliminate statistically improbable data and any transient condition data).

Descreened MAF sensor may or may not have a bad effect... you have to view the MAF pid and compare it to RPM, MAP and VE to see if it makes sense.

Eric
May 20th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks joe , i will look this all over when i get home from work tomorrow , it seems complex because it is new to me but i will get through it and yes my LM2 is comunicating to my V2 in serial.

Eric
May 22nd, 2010, 01:14 AM
Hi joe , havent had time to look into all of this , lots of work to do at home this weekend , i would rather be doing this but have to finish my fence, so far if i understand correctly i can use RPM, MAP and VE to verify my MAF pid using the formula and see if it works out , i will get back to you , thanks joe

joecar
May 22nd, 2010, 08:22 AM
See this (goto post #169), look at the formula for VE, see what it is composed of: showthread.php?t=13152 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=13152)

Eric
May 28th, 2010, 12:30 PM
hi joe , been busy as you can see i have not been on for a few days , i have been looking at the calc_pids txt that you sent me for my temperature sensors that i will use to log intercooler temps , i understand and i will be using this shortly but can you tell me how you figured out the expression formulas "{EXT.AD1}*100-50" for C and "{EXT.AD1}*180-58" for F , i am trying to figure that out now , i know i could plug this in an all will work but i like to figure things out so i can use this later on , thanks joe

joecar
May 28th, 2010, 03:01 PM
The data points you gave were:
0.00V --> -50°C
1.75V --> +125°C

And you also said: "for every 10mv increase temp increases 1C so it is linear"

The slope m of the linear function between those 2 data points is: (125 - -50)/(1.75 - 0.00) = (125 + 50)/(1.75) = 175/1.75 = 100 °C/V

[ note that this is 1/100 = 0.01 V/°C = 10 mV/°C just like you quoted ]

The equation of the line (i.e. linear) thru the data points is: m = (T - T1)/(v - v1) where (T1, v1) is either one of the data points...

lets use (-50°C, 0.00V), so: m = 100 = (T - -50)/(V - 0.00) = (T+50)/V
rearranging: T = 100*v-50 where T has units °C.

sanity check, lets use (125°C, 1.75V) instead: m = 100 = (T - 125)/(v - 1.75)
rearranging: T - 125 = (v - 1.75)*100
rearranging: T = 100*v - 175 + 125 = 100*v-50 i.e. the same.

Now to convert T[°C] to T[°F] you have to go T*(9/5)+32...
so: T[°F] = (100*v-50)*(9/5) + 32 = 180*v-90+32 = 180*v-58.

So, the equations are:
T[°C] = v*100-50
T[°F] = v*180-58
where v has units V.

Eric
May 28th, 2010, 04:29 PM
thanks alot joe for clearing that up , i figured it out after i posted but i like your explaination better along with the formulas , so i am going to apply all of this to my calc_pids txt, if i eventually do not need these pids , they can be removed from my calc_pids txt and if i add more they are all togeather on the same file and two last things , you mentioned leaving a couple of blank lines at the end of the file why and the high low marks will define the chart/gauge max and min , so i will have to redefine them because i want them closer to my range like about -5c to 85c , i thought i could have done this from the gauge or can i , thanks joe

Eric
May 28th, 2010, 04:50 PM
another question joe apart from all of this , when uninstalling V7 and installing new V7 and V8 will i have to reinstall the drivers or is this done automatically , thanks joe

joecar
May 28th, 2010, 07:41 PM
When not needed you can either remove or ignore a calc pid's CLC and PRN entries.

If you don't leave 2 blank lines at the end, then the last pid's text description gets truncated (bug).

The lo/hi marks are for when you initially create a gauge/chart, and thereafter you can adjust them from the gauge/chart properties.

When you install either V7 or V8, the USB driver should get installed automatically.

Eric
May 29th, 2010, 10:48 AM
thanks joe , i imagine the same drivers are used for V7 and V8 , when uninstalling V7 should i make sure the drivers are uninstalled before i reinstall V7 and V8 or will efi live do this , thank you joe

joecar
May 29th, 2010, 07:57 PM
You don't have to worry about uninstalling the drivers... when you reinstall the driver will be updated if necessary.

Eric
May 31st, 2010, 11:34 AM
thanks joe , have a couple questions , to perform an analoge input calibration is it nessasary to be connected to the vheicle , does the V2 need 12 volts i believe it does , if it does can i supply the 12v with a regulated power supply or battery through the OBD2 connector and connect my V2 to my PC , i ask this because it leads me to another question , can i connect to my V2 and log the analog inputs without being connected to the vheicle or do i also need 12v for this because i am working on a couple thermistor circuits and temperature sensors and i want to test them throught the V2s analog inputs , to do the analog calibration i can use batteries i imagine , it is just easier to do all this testing when not in the vheicle , i imagine if i can log the analog inputs without being connected to the vheicle i will be able to select my calc_pids that function with my analog inputs , and one last thing , when logging my throttle body pid 0 to 100% at idle i am seeing 2.8% and WOT is 100% , should it not be 0% at idle and can it be calibrated , it is a cable TB , thank you joe

joecar
May 31st, 2010, 06:33 PM
Yes, to do analog input calibration V2 has to be connected to vehicle or to a powered OBD-2 connector...

People who use a bench harness are supplying 12V to the OBD-2 connector.

You can't log unless you're connected to a PCM/ECM/TCM.

When calibrating, use a DMM to measure the voltage across each analog input.

Which vehicle do you have...?

Eric
June 1st, 2010, 06:04 AM
thanks joe, my vehicle is a 2000 silverado 4x4 , i am sure the other day i saw a pop up when i was trying to connect but my V2 was not connected to my OBD2 port and the pop up said something like ,,,, V2 can only log analog inputs or calc_pids if not connected to a controler , i ignored it and connected my OBD2 connector and restarted, can not verify this now but will check , wait to here back from you for the TB , thanks joe

joecar
June 1st, 2010, 10:31 AM
Does your TB have a stop adjustment screw (maybe behind a plug)...?

Eric
June 2nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
yes it does have a stop adjusment screw joe , but i thought i could calibrate the scan tool to read 0% at that position , if i remember correctly when installing my SC the throttle blade looked completely closed but then again 2.8% is not alot to see when you cant wait to get that SC running , so if i cannot calibrate the scan tool to read 0% i will have to unscrew untill i read 0% and let the idle controle valve do its work , oh did you check and see if can read analog inputs when the V2 is not connected to the truck , havent even had time to , once i am all cought up with my work there will be lots of time , thanks joe

5.7ute
June 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
Eric, have you tried resetting the tps sensor? Disconnect the tps. turn on key until it registers the fault. Turn off, reconnect & turn on again & see what it logs.

Eric
June 2nd, 2010, 03:34 PM
thanks 5.7ute i will try this , i am almost certain that it did read 0% before , is it possible for the sensor to get out of sync

5.7ute
June 2nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
If the voltage is too high it will not reset to zero. Log the raw tps voltage & let us know what it is. It could well be a faulty sensor.

Eric
June 3rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
thanks 5.7ute,i will try and reset my tps like you told me if it doesnt work i will log the tps voltage and get back to you , but wont be able to do this before tomorrow , in the mean time have another question , i am working on some tempurature sensors and thermister circuits , i need a clean 5v , i know i can use a 12v source with a zener diode or a regulating transister but i would rather use an already existing 5v source , i dont want to piggy back of some other sensor like the map so is it possible that my pcm will have a 5v out pin that i can use , my truck is silverado 4x4 year 2000 , i dont have the wiring diagram or shop manual but i should have this , any ideas , thanks

5.7ute
June 3rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
If you have deleted the EGR you could use that 5V reference voltage pin.(pin 47 on the blue connector according to the Logging Fuel Pressure tutorial)

Eric
June 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM
yes i have disabled my EGR so i can use that 5v ,good idea , so even when the EGR is disabled the pcm still sends out its 5v , i can get it at the pcm or at the EGR connector either way will work , i think i will get it at the EGR connector in case i ever have to pass inspection it will be easier to reinstall my EGR valve , my headers even have the fitting , we dont have inspections here in Quebec yet , thanks 5.7ute will get back with info om my TPS

Eric
June 4th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Got in the truck connected and my TPS is reading 0% now , seems to be fine now , maybe this will help , when i was reading 2.8% my battery went very low because i had not used my truck in a while and it was not running , could this be what did it , by the way i know it is very important to have a good battery when flashing , when i press on the accelerator pedale slowly untill i get to 100% i can still go a very bit but it remains at 100% and the voltage when i get to 100% is 4.2v and goes to 4.6v but i stay at 100% is this normal , i checked my external voltage input 1 with 2 batteries that gave me a steady 3.20v but my input was reading 3.16v so i will have to calibrate them , is it normal that the reading fluctuates by 10mv up and down even with a steady source , so lets say i was feeding this input with a transistor type temperature sensor that outputs 0 to 1.75v > 0v= -50C and 1.75v= 125C meaning for every 10mv increase or decrease temperature will read + or - 1C , so my end result will be a fluctuating temperature reading , or is there a way around this , joecar gave me an example of a calc_pids i could use but if i do i am sure my temperature will fluctuate or is there a compensater set up for this , i am debating on using this temperature sensor or a thirmistor circuit , any ideas , thank you both

Eric
June 6th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Got in the truck connected and my TPS is reading 0% now , seems to be fine now , maybe this will help , when i was reading 2.8% my battery went very low because i had not used my truck in a while and it was not running , could this be what did it , by the way i know it is very important to have a good battery when flashing , when i press on the accelerator pedale slowly untill i get to 100% i can still go a very bit but it remains at 100% and the voltage when i get to 100% is 4.2v and goes to 4.6v but i stay at 100% is this normal , i checked my external voltage input 1 with 2 batteries that gave me a steady 3.20v but my input was reading 3.16v so i will have to calibrate them , is it normal that the reading fluctuates by 10mv up and down even with a steady source , so lets say i was feeding this input with a transistor type temperature sensor that outputs 0 to 1.75v > 0v= -50C and 1.75v= 125C meaning for every 10mv increase or decrease temperature will read + or - 1C , so my end result will be a fluctuating temperature reading , or is there a way around this , joecar gave me an example of a calc_pids i could use but if i do i am sure my temperature will fluctuate or is there a compensater set up for this , i am debating on using this temperature sensor or a thirmistor circuit , any ideas , thank you both

are you guys around , any ideas , thanks joe car and 5.7ute

5.7ute
June 6th, 2010, 03:59 PM
When you are working with sensitive equipment there is always a chance that you will get some fluctuation. To combat this you could use the damp() function to keep the reading steady.
Eg: for metric you would change your calc pid to "damp({EXT.AD1},6)*100-50"
This would use the average value over 6 frames. You could raise or lower this value to get the required result.
Using a thermistor would not be an easy solution as you would need to first calculate the voltages at each temperature & then make an extremely long pid using the lookup() function. Innovate have a thermistor calculator on there site but you need to know the value of the load resistor in the circuit to get it close.
Hope this helps.

Eric
June 6th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks 5.7ute, ok i understand about the damp function , this would work good with my temp sensor , like you said i will have to figure out by trial and error how many frames i will have to get an average from , so my V2 input fluctuation will not be measured , your right about using a thermistor it would be a long pid because it is not linear like my temp sensor , i know about innovates thermistor calculator because i do have a LM2 and log works figures all this out for you , it will even select the best load resistor value if you feed it three given resistive values at given temperatures , what do you mean by the lookup() function , is this just a table that the calc_pid will get its values from , thanks

5.7ute
June 6th, 2010, 04:55 PM
What the lookup function does is take the value from the pid & returns a set value.
For instance, lets take a pseudo calc pid "lookup({SAE.RPM},0,1, 1000,2, 2000,3)"
If the rpm was between 0-1000 rpm a value of 1 would be returned. Between 1000-2000 rpm a value of 2 will be returned & so on. I am not 100% sure on the interpolation of the returned values though. Must be time for another experiment.:grin:

5.7ute
June 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM
O.K. Experiment complete. The return values are interpolated.

joecar
June 6th, 2010, 07:47 PM
See post #8: showthread.php?4518-PID-creation-Non-Linear (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?4518-PID-creation-Non-Linear)

Eric
June 7th, 2010, 02:24 AM
thanks joe and 5.7ute , will look at this later on , will get back

Eric
July 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Hi joe and 5.7ute , eric here, been off for a little while because work has been crazy and i havent even had time to put into practice all that we have talked about but i will have time soon , getting back because i didnt want you guys to think that i had just vanished , boy am i going to have to go over this post , will get back as soon as i have time to throw myself into this , thanks guys

joecar
July 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM
No worries, take your time, we've been busy too.

Eric
September 12th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Hi joecar and 5.7ute, well i finally have the time to get into this , the summer is very busy for me with all the construction , i am going to read this thread again so i can get back into it things , thanks guys, Eric will be getting back

Eric
November 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
Hi Joe, eric here how are you , it is almost like i am back from the dead , i have been very busy with work this fall and i want to get to this now , god i have to go over this thread from the begining, would you believe i have not even updated my V7 yet or even installed V8 , so i am going to get to all of this for the weekend because i want to do some black box logging and i need V8 for this, oh by the way is there a way i can save all this thread to my computer, is this possible and if so how , thanks Joe

joecar
November 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
On this page, go rightclick->Bookmark This Page and specify the Bookmarks toolbar.

Eric
November 10th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks Joe, nice to here from you , have a question for you and you probably know this , i am wanting to by a used wiring harness and pcm from an automatic 98 TransAM, should i wait and get a 99-02 set , is there a difference in the programing as in more complex or harder to tune or any bugs with the 97 to 98 , i know that the harness connectors at the pcm are different, but if the 99-02 is better i can wait till i get a deal on one , thank you Joe Eric

Eric
November 10th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hi Joe, found some information about at least one difference but dont know if it is 100% on or if it is would it make a big difference, in 99 gm extended the MAF table from 11,250hz to 12000hz , i guess that would be good for bigger cubes or is 11,250 enuf or is there a way around this by rescaling and i believe the clock speed was faster i read but i have no idea what that refers to , thank you Joe Eric

joecar
November 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Hi Eric,

The 99-02 PCM is easier to tune (has more tables, has a single VE table, has available COS3/COS5).

The 97/98 PCM is harder to tune (has fewer tables, has two VE tables, has missing pids, has no COS).

Those two PCM's have wiring differences so you would have to run the same year harness or re-pin the PCM harness connectors.

[ some people re-pin their 97/98 PCM harness connectors so they can run the 99-02 PCM (part # 0411)]

Eric
November 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks alot Joe , i will wait till a deal comes along for a 99-02 pcm and harness, theres enuf complexity already in tuning i dont want to add some , Eric

Eric
November 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM
On this page, go rightclick->Bookmark This Page and specify the Bookmarks toolbar.I tried to Bookmark but when i right click i dont see bookmark, thanks Joe

joecar
November 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Which web browser are you using...?

If you're using Internet Explorer, then go rightclick->Add to Favorites or rightclick->Create Shortcut.

Eric
November 12th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks Joe i will try that because yes i am using Internet Explorer, i will get back to you , Eric

Eric
November 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Which web browser are you using...?

If you're using Internet Explorer, then go rightclick->Add to Favorites or rightclick->Create Shortcut.Hi Joe , by doing this i will add it as a favorite or create a short cut to the post , is this right , what i would like to do is to save it as a document so i can refer back to it from my computer , does this make sence , thanks eric

Eric
November 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Have a question apart from this Joe , presently with my V2 i am licenced to my stock pcm in my truck , i bought a mail order tune that was sent to me in a pcm that is exactly like mine and they programed the same serial number in it as my stock one to match my truck and it is not locked because i specified that i would eventualy be getting tunning software , i know i will be able to read it but will i have to use another licence to tune it , if i remember correctly the software does not use the serial number to differentiate between pcms so i will probably have to licence it , i hope you will tell me i am wrong , i want to use this pcm in a non ls1 car with a wiring harness i have but it is temporary , thanks Eric

Eric
November 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Last question for the night Joe, knowledge can be a burden , lets say i want to get a tune from holden crazy or anyone else for that matter, my pcm is a Gen 111 99 to 07 > 2000 truck A4 4l60e, does that mean that i can use any one of these tunes within gen 111 99 to 07 to program the calibrations (i understand not the operating systems) as long as it is a A4 4l60e and it has the same file size like mine 512kb , i believe they grew to 1mb within the gen 111 99 to 07 , so if i put an LS1 5.7 in my truck could i program my pcm clibrations with a LS1 5.7 stock file provided it is 512kb and go from there depending on modifications , thanks Joe eric

joecar
November 17th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hi Joe , by doing this i will add it as a favorite or create a short cut to the post , is this right , what i would like to do is to save it as a document so i can refer back to it from my computer , does this make sence , thanks ericOh, then do File->Save Page As or File->Save As.

joecar
November 17th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Have a question apart from this Joe , presently with my V2 i am licenced to my stock pcm in my truck , i bought a mail order tune that was sent to me in a pcm that is exactly like mine and they programed the same serial number in it as my stock one to match my truck and it is not locked because i specified that i would eventualy be getting tunning software , i know i will be able to read it but will i have to use another licence to tune it , if i remember correctly the software does not use the serial number to differentiate between pcms so i will probably have to licence it , i hope you will tell me i am wrong , i want to use this pcm in a non ls1 car with a wiring harness i have but it is temporary , thanks EricHi Eric,

One licence is required per PCM, you will have to use another license to program the new PCM... i.e. a license attaches to a PCM's serial number and not the vehicle's VIN.

[ otherwise one license will find itself programming hundreds or thousands of PCM's :doh2: ]

You can install the new PCM and read the calibration from it and save to file, and then re-install the old PCM and flash the saved calibration to it... first check the new files OS id.

Eric
November 20th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Oh, then do File->Save Page As or File->Save As.Thanks Joe i will do this , Eric

Eric
November 20th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Hi Eric,

One licence is required per PCM, you will have to use another license to program the new PCM... i.e. a license attaches to a PCM's serial number and not the vehicle's VIN.

[ otherwise one license will find itself programming hundreds or thousands of PCM's :doh2: ]

You can install the new PCM and read the calibration from it and save to file, and then re-install the old PCM and flash the saved calibration to it... first check the new files OS id. Yes it makes sence that the licence attaches to the pcms serial number, if i want the tune within it i will read it like you say and save it and just reflash but the operating systems have to be the same , and if i understand correctly i can not just simply program the calibrations and not do a complete flash with calibrations and operating systems because thoes tunning files were taken from a different pcm so it is a complete flash with operating systems or nothing , so if the operating systems are not identical in numbers i can not do it , it would be possible to compare files and to modify all tunning sections manually but that would take long i guess but do able , am i on the right track with all this , thanks alot Joe Eric

joecar
November 20th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Eric,

If your new PCM has a different OS than your old PCM, then you want to copy the changed (by the tuner) tables from the new file to the old file, and do a cal only flash from your old file to the old PCM.

Hopefully your tuner flashed the new PCM with the same OS as your old PCM, in which case you can cal only flash the new file to the old PCM.

Or, if you want to update to a later OS, then you may have to copy tables.

Remind me which vehicle/year/model you have...?

Cheers
Joe
:^)

Eric
January 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Eric,

If your new PCM has a different OS than your old PCM, then you want to copy the changed (by the tuner) tables from the new file to the old file, and do a cal only flash from your old file to the old PCM.

Hopefully your tuner flashed the new PCM with the same OS as your old PCM, in which case you can cal only flash the new file to the old PCM.

Or, if you want to update to a later OS, then you may have to copy tables.

Remind me which vehicle/year/model you have...?

Cheers
Joe
:^)Hi Joe how have you been , been of for a while as you can see but i do want to get back into this , with work and i do alot of snowboarding in the winter it is hard to throw myself into this but i have to because i dont want to fall behind on all we talked about , work will be slowing down till mid febuary so i will be able to , my truck is a 2000 silverado 4x4 and if i remember corectly the pcm that was sent to me was programed with the same operating systems , i can contact them and find out or i will find out quickly enuf when i put it in my truck and licence it , thanks Joe Eric

joecar
January 11th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Hi Eric,

I've been fine and keeping busy...

Cheers
:cheers:

Eric
January 18th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Nice to here back from you Joe, have a question , my friend just bought a 98 pickup with a 5.7 vortec, what could i do to the engine tune to get more power out of this , is it worth it because i am not familliar with these motors , he just installed a cat back with an air intake and he removed his cats , funny no trouble code because he does have sensors down stream from his cats that he removed , the transmission is a 4l60e , same as mine so that is not a problem , any advice , thanks Joe Eric