PDA

View Full Version : Narrowband Interchangable?

LastCall
May 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
I have an 01 truck. One of my narrowband sensors was bad, bank 2 post cat. I had an extra one from a 4.8 2004 van, both 4 wire O2 sensors. Both are bank 2 rear O2.

Are the O2's interchangable?
If so, does anyone having a wiring schematic? The colors are not the same.

I know it is not working becaise I am logging a sold .450 mv regardles of whether it is plugged in or not.

joecar
May 3rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
B2S2...

Let me know if these are not the right ones.

LastCall
May 4th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Thanks JoeCar!

I am concerned that the sensors are different inside. It seems like that the 4 wires are for:

Low Signal
High Signal
Ground
Positive

However, all sensors are 0 - 1 volts, so it should work, right?

joecar
May 4th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Yes, the 0-1V is on the High Signal wrt the Low Signal.

Just make sure you connect the pins correctly... the connectors/plugs have A B C D written on them.

There are two types of sensor: grounded-case and isolated-case... I don't know if this matters or not, probably not.

LastCall
May 4th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Yes, the 0-1V is on the High Signal wrt the Low Signal.

Just make sure you connect the pins correctly... the connectors/plugs have A B C D written on them.

There are two types of sensor: grounded-case and isolated-case... I don't know if this matters or not, probably not.

The pigtails were different on the sensor, so I need re-splice them in. Once I get the voltage to register, I will solder.

Do you mind taking a look at my tune to see if there is anything I need to re-enable for the SMOG. For some reason, I was not getting a MIL on the dash for the bad O2. When I scanned, I got a P0600 due to sensor inactivity.

I checked to make sure the MIL was enabled for that code and it was.

joecar
May 4th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I had a quick look, and trims and CL seem to be enabled.

LastCall
May 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I think the sensor is different between 01 and 04.

At start up, the O2 sensor has activity, but once the exhaust comes up to temparature, it holds .450 mv.

I am getting a code, I think it is P0160 for the O2 sensor I replaced. I guess I will just buy a new one.

Does anyone know which readiness test need to be complete to pass CA smog?

5.7ute
May 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM
From everything I have read, it is not a good idea to splice & solder the wires on an O2 sensor. The reason being that the reference air is actually drawn through the wiring & soldering prevents this from occuring.

joecar
May 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM
+1. That's exactly what the GM Service Manual says.

LastCall
May 5th, 2010, 02:18 AM
From everything I have read, it is not a good idea to splice & solder the wires on an O2 sensor. The reason being that the reference air is actually drawn through the wiring & soldering prevents this from occuring.

Great info...

So I guess that means I have to buy a direct plug in O2 sensor. Most of the sensors available need to be crimped/soldered.

Also, the 01 sensor harness plug was different than the 04 sensor that I had.